Hello all,
After some weeks running the survey to select beta plugins to focus on so they can move to stable (on the Beta No More? The Beta Plugins You Can't Live Without — Let's Get Them Polished and Official thread), we got some results that I’m happy to share with you, so we can move on in our adventure.
For the sake of focus, I will start by sharing the 5 (in fact 6 if we count both Portal) most voted plugins.
Those plugins are:
If everything runs smootly on moving them to the store with all required efforts, we can move down the list and/or do a new survey.
As you can quickly understand, some of these plugins are sort of siblings to each other, which will make the work for what is needed on them easier/less.
I will now proceed by linking the original thread for each plugin or the closest I found for an original thread, the developer (tagging when possible) and also the needs and verifications that I’ve already mapped out as needed to move the plugins to stable.
All discussion about what should be done, results, etc. is better kept in the thread of the respective plugin for organization purposes. For that reason, I will keep this thread closed and post the information relevant for each particular plugin also on its thread.
I mapped out, as required checks the existence of:
- UI
- Documentation
- Testing on devices
– MOD Dwarf
– MOD Duo X
– MOD Duo - Balanced audio output (when applicable)
The testing part is basically what we need to know is if everything works as supposed for all devices (parameters do what is supposed, there are no crashes and no conditioning on the MOD system, etc.)
For the documentation, although not always justifiable, we aim to have a pdf file accessible from a “See documentation” button on the plugin info. Something similar to what the LP3 has and to what recently @StefanD created to his new Sitar - The sympathetic resonance machine and Boreas - Yet another freeze plugin plugins.
With no further ado, let’s move to the plugins.
Portal Sync & Portal Source
Developer: @falkTX
Forum thread: Introducing Portal
On device testing:
I believe the Portal plugins have been extensively tested in the MOD Dwarf. Yet, I believe some more testing on the MOD Duo X could be reported and on the MOD Duo as well. On the MOD Duo, I’m not sure if many users have tried it out. If someone uses it on the MOD Duo, it would be great if you could report your experience to us.
Documentation:
Although the plugin already has some documentation, a pdf format that can be used for a “See documentation” button would be great. It’s ok and even useful to add video links on the pdf to help better understand a point (in case someone finds it easier with visual examples).
Also, I feel the documentation is a bit confusing. When I first started reading the plugin info for the Portal (where some documentation is), I found it a bit confusing and misleading since it sounded to me as if the Portal was simply a plugin to declutter the “cable spaghetti” on the MOD WebGUI Constructor, when in fact it is much more than that.
MIDI Display
Developer: val
Forum thread: Vallsv - MIDI display
On device testing:
I believe this is probably the plugin more ready to move to the stable store.
Some more testing reports would be greatly appreciated, especially on the MOD Duo.
Documentation:
I don’t believe there’s much to be documented on the MIDI Display since it’s basically a troubleshooting plugin with no more functions than visualizing the incoming MIDI messages.
Regardless, a small pdf explaining how to use it and what to expect from it would be great. If I remember well, there’s, for example, a mismatch on the MIDI channels, where on the MOD system is counted from 0 to 15 and the MIDI Display counts from 1 to 16, or the other way around. I may be wrong on this, but the point is to clear this information and leave it in something that is quickly accessible from the MOD WebGUI.
MIRRORZ
Developer: @zwabo
Forum thread: MIRRORZ plays backward
On device testing:
Anyone that uses it either on the MOD Dwarf, on the MOD Duo X or on the MOD Duo is welcome to share their experience with the plugin. Does everything work as expected? Is there any interaction that crashes the plugin, the device or the WebGUI? Idealy we should collect this feedback for the three devices.
Audio levels:
is the plugin level with other plugins in the MOD platform or when you add it it boosts or reduces the audio level of your effects chain?
Documentation:
On its forum thread there’s an explanation from @zwabo that can be used as a good starting point for the documentation. It also has a great demo video that demonstrates a lot of sounds one could get from the plugin.
It would be great to create a pdf with everything explained and eventually with guidelines to recreate all those sounds.
Presets:
There are no presets for this plugin. Creating presets from those sounds on the demo video is a great starting point. More presets that any user could share would be even better.
dm-TimeWarp
Developer: @DaveM
Forum thread: New plugin: dm-TimeWarp
On device testing:
I personally tested this plugin quite a lot on the MOD Dwarf and a little bit on the MOD Duo X.
On both devices, it loaded, everything did what is supposed and I had no crashes.
Does anyone have a different experience?
Has anyone tested it or is interest to test it on the MOD Duo?
Audio levels:
I didn’t face any audio level discrepancies from this plugin when compared with other plugins from the MOD platform. Does anyone have a different experience?
Documentation:
There’s no documentation explaining this plugin in depth. It would be great if we could generate a pdf explaining the plugin in general, what each parameter does and a few use cases (if these use cases could be complemented with demo videos or audio samples, it would be perfect)
Presets:
There are no presets for this plugin. If any of you have some “go-to” settings that could make a good plugin preset, it would be great if you could share them.
Tetr4 switch
Developer: @SrMouraSilva
Forum thread: Tetr4 Switch - Plugin in Beta Store
On device testing:
Tell us your experience using this plugin. On which device have you used it? Did you face any crashes or issues? It would be great to collect feedback from MOD Dwarf, MOD Duo X and MOD Duo users.
Documentation:
This could be an hard to get plugin. It already has a pretty good explanation in its forum thread, but once again, a pdf with that in-depth explanation and a few use-cases would be great to add to the Plugin Info page.
Presets:
I’m not sure if plugin presets really make sense on this one. Anyway, if you have some, feel free to share it.