[unresolved] 2 cases: Device bricked after update from web

Thanks!

So far, no luck:

I copied the zip onto the USB stick, and unzipped the folder. I then deleted the .zip file. The only contents of the USB is the folder.

(USB is formatted on Windows 10, FAT32 single partition)

I then insert the USB into the MOD DuoX LE.

As soon as I plug in the power, both screens light up (blank, no text) and nothing happens. After 5 mins, I unplug the power.

2nd experiment:

Only have the files themselves at the root of the USB. No folder or zip file.

Insert the USB into the DuoX LE.

Same result: as soon as the power is plugged in, both screens light up (no text), stay that way. After 5 mins, I unplug the power.

Hmm, I believe a FAT32 partition should never be bigger than 4GB. Could this be the issue?

Maybe creating a smaller partition (2-4GB say) will work?

Thanks.

Tried:

3GB FAT32 partition
Folder in the root
files in the folder.

same results.

4Gb limit is for the files, the fat32 partition limit is much bigger than that.

anyhow these results show that the unit still have a valid system or restore mode, something that it tries to boot from.
but since @Jason_Rubenstein mentions the forced restore mode does not work, I do not how what things we could tryā€¦
so I am afraid a recall is needed, but I would like to confirm first with @leDamien if the same exact thing happens for him.

and by the way, the files are meant to be on the root of the usb drive, not as subfolder.
that was tried already by @Jason_Rubenstein but wanted to make it clear for others reading.

Thanks Falk.

What are the exact buttons for the restore mode? The left encoder knob and which other button? Thank you. Iā€™d like to try to repro the exact case to see if it works, and I didnā€™t make a mistake.

J

it is always the 2 left-most things on all units.
on duox it is the endless-rotating knob just below the screen and the button on the bottom-left.
and the procedure is to hold these 2 while powering on the unit, keep them pressed for at least 3 seconds.

the screens do not always change, in case something went wrong with the device controller, but the peak-meter LEDs should light up blue in any case.

2 Likes

@falkTX, Iā€™'m happy itā€™s being looked at by Mod. Thanks! Hope youā€™ll find a solution. Gotta confess I had to shake my fears off before upgrading my MDX production to 1.13 in fear that it would get bricked.

@dreamer, your comment has truth to it. For Mac OS to read MS-DOS drives there was a 4GB limit. Yes, it was an annoying issue. I think it was solved after OS X 10.13 (not sure right now) with some special drivers. Before that we had to buy extra software, the best of which was ā‚¬80.

1 Like

Thanks for looking into this, Iā€™ll try this weekend !

@falkTX, thanks for looking into this and Iā€™ve tried your method but unfortunately it still do nothing and stuck in the MOD DUO text on the left screen and X on the right screen. I can see that my USB stick light is on which means that it tries to access it somehow. I tried to press both the buttons to go to the restore mode and it just stuck there showing ā€˜Starting Restore Mode. Please Waitā€™ on the left screen and stuck there while the USB stick light is not on.

if you boot the unit normally, without pressing any buttons on boot, do you get a usb network interface?

When I plug in the MOD DUO X to the computer, it does not show any connection at all.

after some investigation downgrading a Duo X LE unit to 1.7 (first ever Duo X release) I know why things broke.

when we added support for new Duo X hardware revision we renamed 1 boot file to indicate differences between LE and production units. this was handled on boot loader side too, so that it would look into the new file while we kept the old one in there for a few releases.
there is a major issue here, that old Duo X releases do not automatically update the bootloader and thus it wont know about the new boot files.

so a solution here is to keep the old LE specific files in place, they are unused on the new bootloader but doesnt matter as they are quite small.

from my local tests such units that had old versions updated to 1.13 can still boot up from USB, so there is a path forward for resolving this.
still doing some more tests and trying to have a single zip file that solves the entire thing.
will keep you posted.

12 Likes

ok letā€™s try again.

same as before we need a USB stick formatted as FAT32 (with an MS-DOS partition table, always true if using Windows).

After getting that USB stick ready, download and extract the contents of this url into it:
https://download.mod.audio/releases/modduox/reset/mod-duox-le-usb-restore-v2.zip

IMPORTANT: the USB stick must not have any other files on it, only the ones extracted from the zip

Safely remove the drive from the system and insert it in the Duo X unit.
Make sure nothing else is connected to the Duo X unit besides this USB stick.

The unit must not be connected to the PC at any point during this procedure.

Now with that setup, power on the unit, and let it do its thing.
In 30 seconds or so it should light up its LEDs, switching from red to blue to red again.
If you see no LEDs or nothing at all happening after the first 2 minutes, you can safely abort.

Do not connect the unit to the PC, even if it tells you to

It will go through several steps, the entire thing should take around 10 minutes.
You know it is done after you see the regular post-boot pedalboard loaded device screen.

Let me know how it goes, and if you need any help.

14 Likes

Yes, Finally itā€™s working. Thank you so much mate. Love your work.

10 Likes

thanks a lot for the progress !
I followed the process, it worked as described until I ended in the following state (around 10 minutes ?) and stayed there:

• LED screens light up nothing on it
  • only one middle button light up in red
  • Network interface green light up
    Iā€™ve waited 10 more minutes, but it does not seem to evolve afterwardsā€¦

I assume I should retry, right ?

• ok actually, unplugged - plugged (after 30 minutes), and 2 green input LEDs flashed, but then back in the same state, not the blue to red like for the first time).

from your description your unit is still booting, it should have a network interface when connected to a PC. (the green LEDs short flash is due to audio codec initializing, and middle button red means the system did start the boot procedure correctly, just got stuck mid way through).

please check a boot with the regular usb cable connected to the pc.
you should still have access to the web gui, even if the device screens do not change.
from there go to the web gui advanced settings, dangerous section, and do the controller reflash option.

1 Like

Could not reach GUI though moddwarf.local but it worked with 192.168.51.1 and showed version 1.13.2.3151 in the title
Did the REFLASH , Glorious led colors appeared on the buttons, flash complete popup appeared, and then it went back to the previous state with the middle button red and nothing on screens.
I did it twice.
I rebooted, still same state
(Removed the USB key for all this)

this is a duox unit, so moddwarf.local cant work, it would need to be modduox.local.

there might be an issue with the initial/last pedalboard maybe? you can try to reset pedalboard to default, wait 5 seconds and replug the unit.

anyhow this seems like a very unique case and not like the others I was trying to cover, perhaps best to move the discussion to support@mod.audio as to not fill the thread with 1 specific odd case.

1 Like

Oh yea Iā€™m tired ModDuoX of course :sweat_smile: and it worked through that.
Resetting to default means in the dangerous settings check all boxes for the cleanup ?