Tuner Behavior

Hello @jon

Is it possible to bypass the effects when using the Tuner on the Dwarf?
It makes no sense trying to tune the instrument while hearing all the effects chain.
Maybe I’m missing something but couldn’t find this possibility.

1 Like

that is what the “mute” function does, no? on the foot B

1 Like

Hello @falkTX

No. That mutes all sounds. I still want to hear the instrument but with no effects.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand the use case. Is the following correct?

• when you engage the tuner…
  • all plugins go to “bypass” state…
  • bare instrument signal still passes to output and is audible to user

Hello @malfunction54

1 Like

Hmmm… Okay, so do you mean you want the tuner to receive the “dry” instrument signal without being passed through other plugins?

To receive it and send to output with no effects.

1 Like

Oh, that sounds like it would effectively skip the pedalboard altogether. I think I understand what you’re asking. As far as I can tell, there’s no way to accomplish this as the system is now.

1 Like

IMHO that should be the standard behaviour and not a feature. :wink:

3 Likes

Are there other tuners that work this way? I would think the tuner would need a secondary output to do this.

This is the most non standard way of using a tuner as far as the music industry goes. I can’t think on a single use case for this…muting everything while tuning is pretty much the standard.

2 Likes

I’m not opposed to it being a user configurable option, but I’ll be honest this would mess up my flow when I try and retune mid-song without anyone noticing (bass guitar OR analogue synth bass)

1 Like

Humm… I might have expressed myself badly.

What I mean is that when selecting the tuner on the dwarf I want to hear only the unprocessed signal (no effects).

At the moment when I select the tuner I hear all effects and there is no option to bypass the effects, is there? ( as I said I might be missing something )

Since the MOD Dwarf display has its limitations and the tuning visual feedback is very poor, I always use my ears to fine tune the instrument and with effects running that is not a good idea.

The mute option is already there ( just one click away )

2 Likes

I’m a bit confused @rogeriocouto

This…

is this…

although you said to @malfunction54 that is not true.
In other words…

If I understood well you may have tons of distortion on your signal, but when you go to the tuner you want to listen to your guitar just dry and clean.
If it’s not this, I’m really not getting it.

1 Like

Hello @jon

I’ve made a video explaining… please don’t mind my english. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Maybe there is a language barrier. When you say you want the signal “with no effects”, for most of us that is equivalent to what we would describe as “clean” or “dry” or “bypassed”. A few commenters seemed to confirm that this was what you’re requesting, but you always respond that they don’t understand and then proceed to describe what seems exactly like a clean signal. Sorry if we’re missing something obvious! :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Hello @unbracketed

You are right! :laughing:
My very first question was if it was possible to bypass the effects when using the tuner but at some point I started using the expression “with no effects” (don’t ask me why :slight_smile: ) and people got confused.
Thanks for stepping in and yes I want a dry signal when the tuner is selected.

2 Likes

Ok. Now I got it :slight_smile: Thanks @unbracketed for the help.

The implementation of the tuner, as @micahvdm, is really standard. Normally tuners mute the signal when in use. I understand that you are actually using your ear to fine-tune because you are not happy with the tuner. But, wouldn’t you say that is better for our tech team to find a way to improve the tuner precision rather than find workarounds to cover its flaws? I believe most of the users would not be so comfortable using their ear for that and would prefer the tuner to be more precise (I’m guessing here, so if I’m wrong, feel free to say it :slight_smile: )

1 Like

For shure improving the tuner precision is the way . + alterable pitch reference possibility.
With a 442 hz almost standard pitch (piano, winds, etc…) this tuner is for now unusable in most orchestral situation.

4 Likes

What I have seen the most in multi-effect pedals is the same as in the Dwarf : optional muting. But I think that when the signal was unmuted, it was dry. Because there’s no point in tuning a guitar with effects on, with the exception of doing it while playing a song, which most users won’t do.
So I think outputting a dry signal shouldn’t be seen as a workaround but as a matter of preference (less noise, clear tone) in the situations where users don’t mute the signal.

3 Likes