Tuner Behavior

Totally agree with you @funkypou!

I was about to write that.

5 Likes

To make sure we’re all on the same page, I made a quick diagram.

Part A. shows how I believe typical tuner setups work. If the tuner has an optional muting behavior, the tuner mutes its output when that option is enabled upon engaging the tuner. If that option is disabled, the tuner passes the signal, but still tunes when engaged. I can confirm this with my hardware tuner (Peterson Strobostomp). I also have a Boss handheld tuner that does not mute when engaged (and no option to enable muting).

Part B. is an attempt to illustrate what I believe @rogeriocouto wants. If the tuner is engaged, but not muting, the tuner should pass the dry signal, but bypass the rest of the pedalboard (the lower connector). I’ve never seen a hardware tuner do this, as you’d need a built-in second output, or an A/B switch between the tuner and the pedalboard to route the signal around the rest of the pedalboard.

My assumption (and I could be wrong here) is that the tuner in the Dwarf behaves like A. and is in the beginning of the Dwarf’s internal signal chain. Changing behavior to B. would require some code changes in the tuner utility, and may not be feasible (I don’t know if the tuner utility is just an LV2 plugin with access to the HMI, or if it is otherwise different)

3 Likes

True

1 Like

I don’t have device nearby to check, but is the “Bypass” option able to be mapped to a controller? I know it’s not exactly what you’re asking for, but if you could map it to a footswitch and then activate it prior to opening the tuner, that could be a decent workaround?

2 Likes

Hello @unbracketed

The Dwarf don’t have the hardware bypass like the DUO so I would need to have a switchbox plugin in front of every pedalboard.
It is possible but I’m not inclined to compromise 1 out 2 available footswitches.
I also, would need to remember triggering the bypass before the tuner everytime. IoI

1 Like

It makes sense and part B would not be worth the complication in a hardware pedalboard. But I have used multi-effects pedals that work this way. So in a software context, this alternative is worth considering. I’m pretty sure this is not a technical problem for @falkTX and that the only question is what users and MOD want.

4 Likes

Of course! I’m not against this feature in any way. I really just wanted to make sure I understand the request fully, as it is quite interesting.

2 Likes

I must admit that I can’t remember. It’s been a while since I used a multi-effects that was not a MOD :slight_smile:
I would say that leaving the option to the user may be the best way to go.
I’m saying it thinking for example of a violin player (some have appeared around here lately) that is practicing or trying to keep intonation even with tons of effects on their sound.

1 Like

I must admit that I hadn’t thought about the tuner as a practice tool. Anyway, my personal opinion about using a dry or a wet signal doesn’t matter so much as my priority is muting the sound.

3 Likes

One way could be to have the tuner optionally send a MIDI CC or a CV named output when engaged/disengaged, that can control a switchbox put at the beginning of the audio path, and doing the bypass in the pedalboard itself. That wouldn’t solve everything, but that could allow though more variety in what gets bypassed…

5 Likes

Using a “Y” cable, you could have the Dwarf output 1 sent to your amp on one branch of the “Y” and to Dwarf input 2 with the other branch.

Then, in tuner mode, select input 1 to tune clean and input 2 to tune dirty.

Voilà !

4 Likes

Technically it is not a problem, just a matter of picking a method and how to display things if providing both options.

5 Likes

It could be configurable in the settings and be switchable between four options:

• mute/wet
  • mute/dry
  • dry/wet
  • mute/dry/wet

This would cover all needs, I think.

4 Likes

I had to stop using the built in tuner for this reason (it’s not accurate enough). It gets close, but in tuning, close isn’t good enough.

5 Likes