Ratatouille - a Neural Model loader and mixer for Mod Desktop

Hi there!

Firstly, I want to clarify that I’m not the core developer of the plugin; my contribution was limited to adapting it and creating a user interface to make it compatible with mod-desktop.

Ratatouille is a NAM/AIDA-X neural file loader combined with an IR file loader. One interesting aspect is its ability to load up to two neural models simultaneously and blend them. It can also load and blend up to two IR responses.

The original plugin was developed by Brummer and can be found here: https://github.com/brummer10/Ratatouille.lv2

And here’s my GitHub repository where I’ve adapted some files to make it compatible with mod-desktop on Linux: https://github.com/Riebeck-one/ratatouille-modgui

You’ll find the installation process in the README file of my repository.

I do not own any other device besides my PC, so I cannot guarantee that my files will function correctly anywhere other than on a PC running Linux.

15 Likes

Meybe somebody could adapt it to DuoX? NAM works great on DuoX.

Thank you for this! Very interesting, thanks to both you and brummer.

1 Like

Hi!
I was very excited with the possibility of using Ratatouille in MOD Desktop (PC WIN 10). However, I ran into problems, and I hope you can help.

MOD Desktop works flawlessly in my system.

The plugin (Ratatouille v0.4) is installed and working, albeit with the “tuna fish tin” user interface. So I got your repository (ratatouille-modgui-main), unzipped it and followed your instructions - copied the contents into Ratatoullie.lv2, in two cases replacing existing files with the same names. The contents of the Ratatouille.lv2 folder is now

modgui (folder)
manifest.ttl
modgui.ttl
Ratatouille.dll
Ratatouille.ttl
Ratatouille_ui.dll

The .dll files are the only files remaining from the original plugin. I deleted the LICENSE and README files.

After the alterations above, I run MOD Desktop and the icon of the plugin’s GUI shows there under the Simulator category. When I drag the icon into the pedal board, the GUI pops up as expected, but as soon as I release the mouse button it disappears and I get a message saying “Error adding effect”.

This was tried multiple times in two different PCs, one running WIN 10, the other WIN 11.

I must note that the MOD Desktop configuration files are not where you say they are by default (the Documents folder - the User Files are there). The actual path of the configuration files is c:\Program Files\Mod Desktop. Also, there is no “lv2” folder - there is a “plugins” folder instead which is where the Ratatouille.lv2 plugin is installed.

I really would love to have Ratatoullie working in MOD Desktop with your great-looking GUI. Can you please help? I’ll be glad to supply any further information you may require, as well as help with further testing.

Thank you so much in advance.

Cheers,
Cristiano Barata

To make it work on windows you need to replace the line 6 in manifest.ttl
lv2:binary <Ratatouille.so> ;
with
lv2:binary <Ratatouille.dll> ;
and in the file Ratatouille.tll line 187 and 188
a guiext:X11UI;
guiext:binary <Ratatouille_ui.so> ;
with
a guiext:WindowsUI;
guiext:binary <Ratatouille_ui.dll> ;

1 Like

Great! Thanks for your fast reply. I’ll try this tomorrow and will let you know the result.

Cheers,
Cristiano

Hi Brummer,

Changed the files as per your instructions and I´m glad to report that everything is now working as it should!

Thank you so much for your interest and precious help.

Cheers,
Cristiano

Hi again, Brummer,

I just came across a little problem: Ratatouille (V 0.4) does not “see” the .wav IR cabinet files placed in the Speaker Cabinets IR folder in the user files area (Documents). It does see the .nam files placed in the NAM Models folder though. Another simulator plugin, Cabinet Loader MOD, sees the IR files in the Speaker Cabinets IR folder. Any idea why?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Cheers,
Cristiano

Hi Christiano

Yes, you need to replace line 54 and 60 in Ratatouille.ttl
mod:fileTypes "wav, audio" ;
with
mod:fileTypes "ir, cabsim" ;

it may as well work to modify it like this
mod:fileTypes "wav, audio, ir, cabsim" ;

in case you use Ratatouille in other apps as well, but I didn’t know right now if then there will be more audio files in the list for the MOD plug.

2 Likes

wav is not a mod filetype that can be used here. there is no need to guess, the types are listed in the mod-lv2-extensions documentation mod-lv2-extensions/mod.lv2/mod.ttl at main · moddevices/mod-lv2-extensions · GitHub which gets auto-generated on mod-sdk/mod#fileTypes

there is wiki page for this but currently outdated File handling - MOD Wiki

Hi Brummer,

I made the changes you sent (just tried the first option) and it does work. I was expecting Ratatouille to look into the Speaker Cabinets IR folder for the .wav file (same as the Cabinet Loader MOD plugin does), but it looks into the Reverb IRs folder instead. This seems a bit odd to me, since these are cabinet IR files, not reverb IR files. The way it is now we have different plugins looking for the same files in different folders. Can (should?) this be changed?

Cheers,
Cristiano

Hi, Falk TX,

Thanks for your intervention. I will read the documentation you recommend.
But I have to mention that wav files are actually being used as IR’s by several plugins and they seem to work.

Cheers!

Ah, I just checked the docs and it says:

The file types that a path parameter supports, written as a comma-separated string without whitespace.

so, removing the white-spaces from the list should do the trick. Maybe, putting the cabsim before the ir parameter.

Yes, that did it!
I switched the sequence of the file types and suppressed the spaces and now it looks for the files in the right folder. In fact, it looks in both the cabinets and reverb IR’s folders, which seems ok to me.

Thank you so much for your help.

Cheers,
Cristiano

1 Like

Hello there !
I love Ratatouille plugin and its working great for me!
Any chance this can be deployed to MOD DWARF environment ?
NAM simulator in Dwarf uses way too much dsp, maybe this one will be able to use full NAM models ?

It may be possible to deploy it to the DWARF, but, there is no secret weapon used in the code, so, it use the same amount dsp as the MOD NAM plugin, so full NAM models will still be to heavy for the DWARF. However, using some of the Very Low CPU Yet Very Accurate NAM Models should work.

1 Like

Thanks! I will try them for sure !