Input clipping with nothing connected [SOLVED]

Due to the conflicting comments regarding 1.11, I’ve downgraded my Dwarf to 1.10 to see if the problem persists.

With the intermittent nature of this issue it may take me a few days to determine whether it solves the issue or not.

On a more positive note, I’ve shelled out the cash for the Gaffa delay. I was playing with the trial last night and it was really inspiring. One of those plugins that actually gets me to quit fiddling with settings, and just make music.

5 Likes

I just experienced the clipping issue on 1.10.

Unit: MOD Dwarf
Build Date: 2021 Aug 25 08:52:04
OS Version: 1.10.4.2377

2 Likes

While I am certainly overcome with joy that not all devices are effected by this bug, that’s really neither here nor there. What DOES matter is that it’s happening with enough of them for this thread to exist (which has been active for 2 weeks without update). There are 10 users reporting the same brand new issue that makes the device borderline unusable. I think it’s fair to assume that there are probably many more with the issue who aren’t on the message board.

This should all go without saying, but these are expensive products that many of us are relying on to do some heavy lifting during our performances. It should not be prone to extreme feedback with nothing in the inputs, nor should it be freezing.

My device is now turning on and immediately after the red blinking, getting a yellow signal which I guess means the feedback is lower than it was. - I’m not going to connect it to audio to see how it sounds. 15 power cycles and counting.

Our tour starts on Tuesday - wish us luck y’all!

1 Like

As I told you here:

and here:

We are investigating the issue and trying solutions.
Unfortunately, we were not yet successful and I hope you can understand that. If we were sure of what generates this bug, the bug would probably not be there in the first place or get solved with only a couple of reports.

There’s one more person that reported this issue actually before anyone else. As we already got the prove a lot of times here in the forum that it’s not a good approach, it’s better to keep out of assumptions on this type of situation.

Indeed that is true. Unfortunately, these issues may happen with any device not only a MOD or any other brand. Yet, I’m not using it as an excuse for the issue in the first place. What I mean is that any sort of gear may fail sometimes for whatever reason.

We are doing our best to fix it as soon as possible. Yet, we can’t make any promise before really finding the source (or sources) of the problem and fixing them.
We all wish you luck with the tour and hope to get you a solution for the issue asap.
As I asked you in my previous post, I would like to know your results on a downgrade attempt. Altough @FistfulOfStars reported that he kept the issue, it would be worth trying. Please report your results since that will help us find a solution faster.
Hope you understand.

1 Like

@LorraineKindOf , I had two shows last week with this same concern.
I hooked up the Dwarf outputs to a killswitch that I could activate in case of emergency.
I know, it’s not a solution but it relieved a bit the pressure…
In the end, everything went well.
Wish you all the best for your tour.

3 Likes

We have an internal build which we are testing as a potential fix for this, but it is part of a whole set of updates (basically updating the kernel used on the dwarf units, among other things).
Some of the changes are a bit risky to push as v1.11 update because there might be side-effects, so if the build is good we will have it as an early v1.12.

10 Likes

Glad to hear that.Thanks

2 Likes

Good to know a potential fix is upcoming!
I’ll just add that today, while the issue is the same, the unwanted noise ouput changed. It has been a feedback-y, very digitally harsh sustained tone, now it turned into some kind of undulating siren.

Tried to link to a short audio file showing it here, but that was not allowed.

1 Like

That is the best kind of music tech - the one than makes you put your hands back on the guitar.

3 Likes

I raised your trust levels and now you should be allowed (let me know). That video may be helpful for us :wink:

Okay, thanks!
It just a little audio file, but the only thing I’m doing is powering the unit up, and then changing the input gain.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21t1gl3yes351lp/MOD%20Dwarf%20Noise%20020322.m4a?dl=0
  • the little audio player doesn’t play anything for me, but this link will go to the audio file in question. -
    You can hear the changing of the input gain after a couple of seconds, when the clicks and increase in volume starts. Every 0.5 position makes the same click/volume increase.

I can still play throught the dwarf when this is happening, but it sounds like it’s being processed by the world’s worst bit crusher/sample rate reducer. Don’t have any audio of that at the moment.

1 Like

Yeah…weird stuff.

Is this the Dwarf producing with no plugins?! :open_mouth: quite interesting sound…but shouldn’t be happen if not set to do it!

But during this time you can actually play or the issue is similar with the one that started this topic?

Yep, the input LEDs start blinking red before the unit has fully loaded, and then when the output is activated or whatever during the boot, it starts outputting this sound.
So my dwarf does not freeze, it just produces this sound. Or a similar one. I’m not always able to play through it, but most of the time. But it sounds awful, like a ring modulator got a baby with a vacuum cleaner!
The unit is otherwise operational. I can access the browser editor and click on the unit itself.

1 Like

Do the input LEDs stop blinking red at this point?

We have a build that would be nice for those interested to try out.
It does not have our typical QA and testing, so we are not comfortable sharing it publicly.
That said, just reply to this post and I will give you a link to a build to install that potentially fixes the issue. (at least so far as we tested this, it does, but it was on a single unit)

4 Likes

I’d be glad to test it out.

Me too, thanks

No, input LEDs start going red a couple of seconds before the unit is fully booted, and when it is, the output LEDs go red in the same way. Then this just keeps going on, outputting feedback-y sounds, until you cut the power.
I can probably get around to record a short video of how it looks if interesting, but it is really just the same as the video zwabo posted a couple of weeks ago above in this thread, except my output LEDs are red, but I’m sure that could be resolved by turning down the volume with a gain plugin. I haven’t tried getting it to freeze after saving anything directly on the unit, as I have been using the browser editor-thingy.

So nowadays I’m in the process of making an entirely new live show (a pre pre-production, if you will), so some days I spend up to 12 hours in front of the computer getting stuff done. What I’ve found that’s a bit curious is that this usually only happens after it has been powered down for some time (read: when I power it up at the start of the day). If I have first got it to boot correctly (after x amount of power cycles), and I then have to reboot the unit, usually because of sudden problems with connecting to the browser editor which occurs several times a day (which may also be something that should be looked into :wink: ), it boots correctly. Every time.
So just to say this once more with less digressions:
Problem usually occurs only after the unit has been powered down for some time, like overnight. When I then eventually get it to boot correctly the next day, any subsequent reboots straight from a powered-up status that day will make it boot correctly. Then the problem occurs again the next day.

4 Likes

I’m also interested!

1 Like

I’ve found this to be the case as well.

I have installed the beta build and have yet to see the issue happen.

1 Like