Input clipping with nothing connected [SOLVED]

would love to try it - thank you!

1 Like

No need to share the video. Let’s see if the fix is effective.

1 Like

Hi All,

It’s just possible that I may have found something that might help here.

I’ve been following this thread with interest and was noting that, although I’ve been using the mod pretty much every day I’ve not had the issue recur for weeks - until Sunday. On Sunday my wife accidentally unplugged the power supply while I was playing (at an event!). When I plugged it back in the fault cropped up again.

This got me thinking - I think the only time I’ve had the issue is when I’ve had the power supply connected to the dwarf before turning the power on. Normally I leave the power supply plugged in to the mains and just disconnect from the dwarf to turn it off.

• If you plug the power supply into the mains first, then plug it into the Dwarf, the PSU already has a nice stable 12v on it ready to power the dwarf cleanly.
  • If you connect the power supply to the Dwarf first, it could take a little while for the switched-mode power supply voltage to build up and stabilize. The Dwarf could try to start booting when the voltage is still too low to boot cleanly and this could really mess with its bootup process.

To test this I tried connecting my Dwarf to a variable power supply and I slowly ramped the volts up from zero 'til it booted. Second time I tried this - voila - the fault was there!

Can I suggest that you always power up the power supply first, then plug it into the Dwarf, and see whether you still get the problem?

I know I was suggesting people buy double insulated PSUs to get rid of the noise problem, but I guess it’s possible that some of these 3rd party supplies have slower ramp-up times, which could be exacerbating the problem - if so, sorry!

Ian

6 Likes

really interesting observations and theory, @ianr … i’ll look forward with interest to any other reports. i don’t yet have my dwarf (am still on a Duo and a DuoX – haven’t tested this sort of thing on those devices, but they’ve not shown this sort of problem).

3 Likes

This is a super interesting finding!
Thanks for the test and for sharing it :slight_smile:

1 Like

@ianr
Interesting presentation of a circumstance that I also do not consider optimal.
The lack of an on/off switch, even though the mothership reassuringly explains that this circumstance does not lead to any problems.

For myself, I have provided a voltage distributor with a mains switch.
Besides the MOD, I also have to supply the mixer, my monitor, the PA and, if necessary, a console light or the iPad with power. (I cannot therefore follow your advice) .
I consider the 5.5 mm socket for the power supply connection rather susceptible to fail, so I want to minimise plugging in/out.

I have not noticed any flashing of the input LEDs, but the LEDs for the foot switches. I do not consider this to be a problem.

However, as with other stage equipment, it makes sense to keep to an on/off sequence.
Switch-on sequence:
1.) Signal-providing devices. Keyboards, effects units, MOD, etc.
2.) Mixer
3.) PA and monitors. (otherwise speakers can complain with a loud bang).

The switch-off sequence is in reverse order.

Addendum: It seems that the clipping of the input LEDs has now been fixed. I only noticed afterwards that the thread opener is already a while old.

2 Likes

@Sharry - no, not an optimal solution but could be a gamechanger for the likes of @LorraineKindOf to have confidence that it will boot OK every time if doing professional events with it.

2 Likes