GUI elements stall and CV fails with hardware knob control
Reporting two issues together, because I believe they are related…
When a plugin parameter is mapped to a hardware knob, any realtime-updating GUI elements (i.e. especially meters) stall.
If such a situation exists in a pedal board with CV plugins assigned internally to control something else, and if there are a lot of realtime-updating GUI elements, the CV control fails.
How to reproduce
- load this pedalboard
- enable the meter plugin.
- twiddle the hardware knob which controls the volume.
- observe that the meter plugin stalls while the knob is being moved.
- load this other pedalboard
- start the transport rolling (leftmost Duo X button) - that gets the sequencer running, which toggles the switch via CV, producing an intermittent output tone.
- twiddle the two upper-right knobs simultaneously (these just operate the non-functional Tiny Gains at the bottom of the board) - watch the sequencer to make sure it doesn’t move, because the CV gate will only fail if the realtime-updating GUI elements DON’T CHANGE for a while.
- the CV gate will fail in about 5 seconds.
- go into the parameters of the Toggleswitch and change the CV trigger for switch 1 to “1 lfo” - you’ll see that this fails as well, so this bug is not only related to a (sequenced) CV gate.
- also, if you start disconnecting the Tiny Gains at the top, one row at a time, you’ll gradually get to a point where it’s very difficult to keep the realtime GUI update from happening once in a while (you’ll start to see the sequencer jump slots) - if that happens before CV fails, it seems that the system recovers enough to prevent CV failure.
Ideally, realtime GUI updating would continue smoothly while controlling things with hardware knobs. However, realizing that audio function is more important than visual GUI elements, is there a way to make it make it such that GUI stalling at least doesn’t break CV control. If the Duo X is running untethered (without a connection to the browser-based GUI editor), none of this is a problem – we don’t see GUI stalling of course, but also (in issue 2) the CV control does not fail. So, as the system stands, this type of pedalboard will ONLY run properly when the Duo X is untethered.
Note: I’ve done less testing with this issue on my Dwarf, but it appears the same situation exists - that device just has a higher tolerance before failure - i.e. it’s more difficult to make GUI elements stall completely for a protracted period of time.
There is a thread in the forum about these sorts of observations:
…between the two of us who have confirmed these issues (@S_Righteous and me), we have one production-run Duo X and one Duo X LE.
Open the controller menu (hold left knob down), navigate to Info > Versions and write down here the version.
- release: 1.13.1
Also provide some information about your system if possible.
- Operating system: macOS
- System version: Monterey 12.6
(those system stats are for me, with the DuoX LE)