Control to CV plug-in no longer working

I will try this pedalboard out. If the issue does not happen when the webgui is not connected, that is awesome news.

I very much do not think it’s related to the number of plug-ins or CPU usage, because I have pedalboards which use every knob and button on every page of the Mod Duo X, and which are way more complex, with a higher base CPU usage, and have not had any such issues.

Well no issues in the past.

I have pedalboards which used to function 100% fine, but now the Control to CV plug-in has this new issue we have been seeing. The number of plug-in in those pedalboards did not change, but they no longer work. I will test to see if they work without the webgui. But they certainly used to work with it.

1 Like

Just tested your pedalboard, and indeed have the same experience as you. I had also removed the sequencer in one of my previous tests, so I knew that wasn’t an issue. I also tested my original pedalboard without the webgui connected and I wasn’t able to get it to crash. “rockin good news!”

Do you have older pedalboards which make use of the Control to CV plug-in and can you confirm that they used to work fine, but now do not?

1 Like

I think I misunderstood what you were saying here. I totally agree it could be related to the number of plug-ins which require updating in the GUI - but I believe that this is something new, which did not happen previously.

1 Like

hmmm… that’d be tough, without downgrading my Duo X software to do some testing. i do have some pedalboards with a fair amount of CV usage, but i’m always running untethered after the design phase, so this is not something i’d likely run into. having said that, i ~think~ the issue of stalled realtime GUI updates in meter plugins and such when moving assigned hardware knobs is relatively new.

it ~seems~ like that GUI updating issue is related to the breaking CV issue… but the stalled GUI update issue happens even without any CV in a pedalboard, as here:

1 Like

yeah, this is why we need CPU/RAM/xrun metering on the device… we’re really flying blind wrt what the actual, untethered load is.

1 Like

That is interesting. I didn’t realize the stalled GUI update was separate from the CV drop outs.

I always use a CV meter and level meters when designing my pedalboards, and I’m usually in the GUI for weeks tinkering with my designs, as the nature of them is not “how to do X”, but “what if I try this!”. So if the CV or Level meters stalled in the past, I would have noticed.

At this point, I think we just need to wait for the Mod team to chime in that they are looking into this, and if they can’t replicate it, then we need to determine what is different about our set ups? I wonder if that recent pedal update did something, because I don’t have the pedal I didn’t do the update, but I assume the Mod team has, so their code is different than mine.

1 Like

@S_Righteous i’m happy to go ahead and file a bug report, if you like. but first, can you confirm that none of this is an issue when you run untethered? …and also please confirm that you do see the meter stall in that last pedalboard i linked.

side-note: yup, my boards are generally littered with meters for gain-staging, calibration, and debugging during development, but i strip them out before taking the boards into performance. it seems that they may not actually affect performance (much) when running untethered, but i’ve removed them to be safe. …as i’ve said elsewhere, i do wish we had on-device load and xrun monitoring. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

I just tested the meter_stall pedalboard.

If I alter the volume, the meter does pause, but only briefly, it does not stop and wait a long period like we saw the sequencer do with my pedalboards. As a metering plug-in, it could easily appear that this is expected behaviour.

But if I keep altering the volume - then yup, it freezes while the knob is moving, so you can keep it in a state of stall by always moving the volume knob. That seems wrong and new.

agreed… and same behaviour as i see.

do your CV boards, and my test ones behave properly when running untethered?

Untethered everything is fine - which is a massive relief and allowed me to get back to work on crazy pedalboard.

ok… thanks, @S_Righteous … i’ll submit a bug report next week.

cheers!

1 Like

I don’t want to throw a new twist in here, but I was testing stuff tonight and had a very weird crash where the gui looked fine, the audio was happening, I had two loops looping, but on the device there were no controls. All controls on the device were missing, so I could page through each page and nothing nothing nothing. I had to disconnect the GUI, which then caused the audio to crash magnificently (wish I had been recording this) - and ultimately had to turn the unit off.

I never had ram % increases as you have seen, so as I said earlier - perhaps when it crashes - results may vary!

1 Like

I had this yesterday on my MDX using LP3 + other plugins. About 60% CPU, no GUI. Controls missing and randomly returning and disappearing when scrolling through pages. Had to power off. Then worked well after. Never saw this before.

1 Like

So just to confirm, this happened to you when you were not connected to the GUI?

For me, recent issues are entirely related to being connected to the GUI. So although I have never had this happen before, I have been generating issues while using the GUI, so it was less of a surprise.

Yes standalone no GUI. Happened again yesterday. Then froze and needed to rebooitI. t’s my only pedalboard with all pages/controllers assigned. No CV plugins though, so a bit off topic maybe?

Sorry that I stopped answering @S_Righteous and @plutek (other tasks + holidays + vacation got on the way).

If I understood properly with a quick read @S_Righteous your issue is/was simply visual, right? That is less unexpected, yet the fact that happens in multiple browsers is a bit more weird - if it was only with one I would say that is a cache issue.

@plutek what you are reporting is a sort of latency but also in sound? Otherwise it may be just some lag on the graphic side since that’s not priority on the way things work.

@Imaginus are you using some beta plugin in that pedalboard?

In general I believe that right now we are talking about 3 completely different issues, so to keep things tight it would be nice to separate the thread, I believe.

2 Likes

If I were to simplify the core issues I would say that when using the GUI, there are visual latencies when using Control to CV, but also you can very easily cause a crash situation where CV signals drop and the audio is totally affected by this. It is not just a visual issue.

Older pedalboards which used Control to CV now have this latency and ability to crash, but they previously did not have either of these issues.

When not connected to the GUI, I have not had the same issues, thankfully!

1 Like

I would refer to this posts from plutek above for testing.
I think it gets to the heart of the core issue.

4 Likes

bug report here:

3 Likes

Ok…So this may be related to recent OS releases (if it didn’t happen before)

Thanks for the bug report @plutek. I already passed it to @Steven_VE and if I have time today I try it myself.

3 Likes