V1.5.0 Pre-Release Testing

Hello everybody, this is the topic for testing regarding the upcoming 1.5 release series.
Before anything else, thank you very much for your testing, bug reports and general feedback!

The 1.5 series focuses mainly on global tempo/sync and settings panel, so that’s what needs most testing.

The auto-update system is ready for users in the testers group, just get the automatic update as usual.
If you need to roll back, grab the latest stable release file from http://wiki.moddevices.com/wiki/Releases and follow the instructions on the top of that page.

Here’s the changelog so far:

• NEW implemented global tempo & sync:
  • plugins receive time position from host
  • speed, beatsPerBar and beatsPerMinute control ports are automatically set to their appropriate values
  • playing, beats per bar and beats per minute can be addressed to any controller
  • sync with ableton link is implemented
  • MIDI output sync can be done via plugins

Known issues / Limitations:

• Transport controls button is the same as MIDI ports, we need to find a proper one

Thanks very much for all your testing!
Rock on!

4 Likes

For those curious about the settings page, this is how it looks so far.

Requests for specific small settings should be done now, if you wait too long it might get too late :slight_smile:

we need a setting to adjust at what date in the future the MOD will be able to make my morning espresso. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Why do you need absolute time for that? A cuppa every 3 hours: That’s every 5400 bars on 4/4 @ 120bpm. :coffee:

4 Likes

global BPM is great, guys! i’ll be testing soon…

before i get into it, just want to check about getting tempo from the outside world. when you say… [quote=“falkTX, post:1, topic:1372”]
sync with ableton link is implemented
[/quote]

…please clarify what, exactly, that means. i see, in some ableton documentation, “Activating Sync for a MIDI Output allows Live to send MIDI Clock signals.” …so are you actually talking about reading standard MIDI Clock that’s coming in the MIDI input on the MOD? or is this some other protocol?

i’ve built an arduino-based master clock which sends both MIDI Clock and analog trigger sync, which i was hoping to use to control the MOD and other devices simultaneously.

Link is a network protocol (and implementation), it has nothing to do with Live or MIDI.

The theory is that with Link you can have your DAW and the Duo synced in time, obviously assuming you connect the Duo via USB.

ok, so currently no sync to incoming MIDI or analog clock. :frowning: any plans?..

Buglette: When toggling Play/Pause the Bars/Beat value is reset to 4/4.

I don’t know about slaving the MOD to external clock, but generating MTC or MIDI-Clock on the MOD is already possible via plugins “MIDI TImecode” and “MIDI Clock” (currently still filed in unstable in the store).

1 Like

First of all: Congrats to another fine alpha version. :clap: Since you asked for feedback on the settings screen:

• I would move the “system information” to a separate branch instead of having them next to the settings (avoid cluttering the screens by showing the same information)
  • the system information could also include the status of USB devices (lsusb in a table)
  • … and about Control Chain devices
  • for new (and forgetful) users, tooltips would be helpful: what does Jack Manager do? Is it the same as the remove Mix Server? … and why are neither of these under Audio Server?

But yeah, probably splitting hairs… looks already excellent.

1 Like

beats per bar wasn’t even being changed.
fixed in https://github.com/moddevices/mod-ui/commit/360af310d27129e5790d0cbfa0f2d58024cfeba3

next build will include the fix.

I don’t understand what you really mean here.

[quote=“eggsperde, post:11, topic:1372”]the system information could also include the status of USB devices (lsusb in a table)
… and about Control Chain devices[/quote]
Sounds useful. something that shows all connected devices. hmm…

[quote=“eggsperde, post:11, topic:1372”]for new (and forgetful) users, tooltips would be helpful: what does Jack Manager do? Is it the same as the remove Mix Server? … and why are neither of these under Audio Server?
[/quote]
If you don’t know what these are, better leave them unchecked.
Maybe I should move them to Advanced. Then Boot & restore can come to the basic tab.

build #422 is up.
on the settings page:

• services moved to advanced, boot&restore moved to basic.
  • the reboot action was not working properly (need to wait for HMI to reset first)

fixed the beats per bar issue reported above.

as i play with global BPM here, i’m noticing that it would be super-useful to have a TAP option to set the tempo… maybe a third choice for the sync mode, with an assignable button (similar to Bollie Delay).

thanks to all… MOD just keeps getting better! :slight_smile:

oh, also: wondering if there’s a list anywhere of plugins which can currently use global BPM.

there is… you can assign the bpm knob to a MOD footswitch.

With branches I meant the top-level entities on the left side.

branches = ["basic", "advanced"]
branches.append("system information")

:smiley:

You’re right, of course, if one does not understand one should not enable/disable settings in the options. But still, it would be good to explain them… make people interested in experimenting with their hardware.

AHA! :smiley:

How about adding a “Settings” button to the UI?

1 Like

Build 423 is here:

• fix enabling pedalboard presets (regression after temposync)
  • work-around for the cut-off MOD display images (finally! :heart:)
3 Likes