USB audio interface out from mod duo?

I’ve seen some references to Scarlett being used as additional audio output(s). I can’t find the straight dope about using an audio interface with my Mod Duo.

I plug in my Behringer UMC 1820 to the Mod Duo and the MIDI in and out ports automatically show up on the GUI. NICE! But the audio does not.

Is this gonna happen? I see old posts saying no, but it’s hard to keep track of the evolution.

Would a different class compliant interface work? Do I need a Dwarf or Duo X?

In the same vein will additional input be possible?

What is the purpose of Record-Quad Mini?

Many thanks and sorry if this is obvious and I should know.

I never used it with the audio interface extending it, yet, I set it up as a sound interface.

I’m not sure what the status of what you are asking is, nor if someone from the community managed ever to successfully do it. Anyway, it would at this point be an experimental feature. Take a look at the “Hack” section of the MOD Wikis main page.

Did you also take a look at what @rolego did in this thread? More audio inputs? - #35 by rolego

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

I read through that thread a couple of times. From what I gather it does work. I didn’t see any reports of jitter, pops or other day-ruining maladies. Apparently outputs 1 and 2 are mirrored to outputs 2 and 3… this is on purpose for a behind-the-scenes reason. I am perfectly fine working around that minor issue.

A huge number of connector cables on the GUI could pose a usability problem. I probably shouldn’t plug in my RME UFX Fireface III. Even though it’s class compliant and I’d love to hear the jfet instrument input fed through the Mod ecosystem.

Having possessed my Mod Duo for only a short time, and being completely ignorant about all things coding, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to tackle the procedure listed in that thread. I’m going to go for it later today though. I’ll let you know if a random pedestrian like me can get it working.

I put some hours into it. I was able to get into the Mod Duo with ssh.

play -l did not show my class compliant sound card plugged into USB A like @rolego’s example.

Editing some text and removing a few lines of code to match what these guys did seems easy, but I don’t know how.

Earlier today was the first time I’ve heard of ssh. I’m surprised I got as far as I did. I’m sure one of you knowledgeable people could check if this works or not in a matter of moments.

I’ll re-approach the topic again when I have some time to crawl through the basics. For now I admit defeat.

2 Likes

To be honest, I would jump into a hacking mode with you to try this.
I can also see some interesting use cases on my musician side (and a huge interesting side on my geek side :rofl: ). Yet, for that, I would need to have a bit of spare time to do it, which doesn’t seem to come shortly. Plus I would need to mess around a bit with my setup for a while to get some free soundcard…(or I can simply grab a Zoom portable recorded only for the experiment :thinking: )

Maybe our “geek king” @falkTX will have some fast inputs to give you here. Likely he is really busy at the time, but I guess he could add something useful and faster to the challenge.

Keep us updated if you manage to make some progress.

Wow! I’d take you guys up on any offer to get deeper with it. I don’t know how the geek side of anyone could resist unlocking hidden powers already inside a machine, begging to be freed. Very useful powers.

I understand spare time isn’t always plentiful. I’ll be around, I want to learn.

If you guys can’t pony up some precious time and attention soon I’ll take another pass at it myself. With Linux stuff it takes me all day to learn a concept but I usually can do it, at a great time expense.

I’ll keep you posted. Unless you keep me posted first :wink:

1 Like

I dont think it is worthwhile to try to get this to work on the current 1.13.x releases, we did some tests there but there were some clear issues.

I did some developments for this for the next 1.14, and while it started to work better it didnt get to a state that I feel comfortable putting in a stable release. There is some other topic on this forum about it.

But I am 100% sure we will find a way to make it work, because other products I am busy with right now also need it, so the effort for it will be backported to here for MOD units too.

Might take a few more weeks still, so more patience needed.

8 Likes