[unresolved] 2 cases: Device bricked after update from web

Hi @falkTX I just bought the new one and when I plug it in, there is an update available:
Should I go with it or just wait for the upcoming v1.13.2?
Currently my new unit has this info:

Is it a production unit? (with the power switch on the back)
Because then you shouldn’t need to wait for anything.

The aforementioned issues in this topic are specifically for LE units.

Hi @dreamer, yes it is. I just want to make sure that the new update version that’s available on the web as per my snap shot before it will definitely works for my new pedal. The one I had before was the LE version which I had problem updating but thanks to @falkTX, that he managed to provide me with the fix. I don’t want this to occur again with my new pedal, that’s all. As per @falkTX said before, an upcoming 1.13.2 bugfix will be available, does it mean this is only for the LE version and not for the Production version? Could both of you please confirm this?

As stated over and over now: the issue is specifically with the LE units. If you don’t have an LE unit, it doesn’t have the issue.

Not sure how much more clear we can be about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @leDamien, I’m afraid at this point it does not make sense to move on with your LE top board any further. And as @falkTX said, we don’t have working ones to offer as a replacement any more.

If you are up for further tinkering, I would share the hardware source with you. You could directly check with prototype PCBA vendors if it’s worth making a new top board. Not an economic solution though.

2 Likes

Thanks for making that clear, no big problem,
thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot. I made peace with it.
I recently received the Dwarf, and it has my full attention now.
I’m only looking forward the expression pedal now !!!

3 Likes

@leDamien, if I ever have a business I want you to be my customer. Seriously.

4 Likes

Hi Falk,

Following these directions, the device is stuck after 30 mins (see video)

I powered off, removed the USB, plugged in the USB to the computer, and re-powered. The device is recognized by the PC, but navigating to http://192.168.51.1/ results in:

# This site can’t be reached

192.168.51.1 took too long to respond.

Looks like it is a no-go for me at this point, sadly!

-Jason

Hi, can you try a few boot attempts?
Your issue seems similar to what I was discussing with @leDamien initially, as the unit correctly gets the middle red button light up so it is booting at least partially.

Also see if you can enter restore mode by pressing down the left encoder and bottom-left button while turning on the unit. If you see blue LEDs, we are good.

Let me know how that goes, thanks

Yep. tried several attempts, all stalled as in the video.

I did try restore mode, and the blue LEDs lit up, but it never progressed from there after about 30 mins. I am trying again now, and will just let it sit in restore mode (blue LEDs lit) for a few hours and see what happens.

-J

the restore mode doesnt do anything automatically, but it should have a usb mass storage interface if you connect the unit to the PC.
from there you can download and copy the duox tar from the top of Releases - MOD Wiki page to reinstall the Duo X system.

1 Like

Thanks.

I followed these instructions:

1. Connect the MOD to your PC (if not done yet) and wait for a new mass storage drive to appear
  2. Download the latest release from Releases
  3. Copy the mod*.tar file you just downloaded onto the new drive and use your OS option to safely remove the drive
  4. Disconnect the USB cable
  5. Wait while the unit updates itself, it will reboot automatically when done

And downloaded this file: https://download.moddevices.com/releases/modduox/modduox-v1.13.2.3173.tar

The unit rebooted into the same state as I show in the video. Flashing green button, solid red buttons etc.

Honestly, I might react differently if I was buying a product from a big name, and I was tight on cash.
But here it was a Kickstarter, passionate people creating something great, left Brazil for Germany, struggled to make it last…
But I hope nobody ends up with a brick because had I known I would happily kept it as it was, I mean most pedals cannot be updated anyway.
Now I’m happy with the Dwarf, and really hope the expression pedal will deliver…

3 Likes

I can see your point @leDamien. You’ve been cooperative and understanding of their situation well beyond the extra mile. I can also see @falkTX went to the deepest depths of their system to find a solution for you. That we can praise for sure.

However, understanding can only go so far. Mod acts like a startup with “passionate people” here and asks for your understanding of their difficulties and misdoings. Outside though, it acts like a solid business when reaching out to investors. I work in finances and I pulled Mod info from its previous iteration. It’s easy too see they were bleeding money like crazy and passing the hat all the time.

So at least they could offer you some plugin vouchers, since you’ve already done the favour of acquiring yet another Mod (maybe they did already)?

3 Likes

Hi @falkTX

Just checking in - any more ideas or updates? I’m afraid the unit is sill effectively bricked.

thanks!

Jason

would you be able to open the unit to follow the same instrusctions above I gave to @leDamien
otherwise please send an email to support@mod.audio mentioning this thread and your unit serial number, so we can proceed with a return/recall for fixing

Thanks again @falkTX for your dedication to the cause. I can imagine the burden.

1 Like

err what burden? doing my job?

we need to keep support for the stuff we make, one of the reasons for things to sometimes going (from the public view) a bit slow, because anything we decide to add needs to be supported for a long time.

11 Likes

Well, doing a job can be burdensome at times. I can see you’re looking into this with a lot of care and are really interested in helping these users out, so I wanted to praise that.

6 Likes

I had possibly a similar issue, i turned the unit on, connected it with the usb and had to reflash the thing via the GUI in the advanced settings under the dangerous options, after reflash I had to delete device settings. Once it completed these steps it worked. Dont know if this will help you in your exact issues but the problem seems very similar to mine.

1 Like