TOUCHOSC Bridge

So as you are aware quite a few of us are using TOUCHOSC in various forms.

The downside with the Dwarf is that it has to be via USB which sort of misses the benefit of a Tablet.

One of the downsides is that it requires a bridge program to push the midi to whatever is required.

So I reached out to Hexler and they got in touch pretty quick. They seem really friendly but we’re unable to really help too much but did point me in the direction of a Github page, here’s what they said…

While we don’t have a Linux binary for the TouchOSC Bridge, some time ago a user did reverse engineer it and replicate it for Linux using Python: GitHub - velolala/touchosc2midi: a (linux compatible) TouchOSC Midi Bridge written in python

This essentially replicates TouchOSC Bridge behavior so it can be used on a Linux system like the TouchOSC Bridge to receive MIDI messages from TouchOSC/TouchOSC Mk1.

That being said, getting this all working on such a device, “your mileage may vary” so to speak - in theory this should be viable but you also need to be able to access the operating system of the device, which may or may not be accessible… We would wager that you’d probably need to correspond with their developers or support department and this also depends on how “open” the device is.

That being said if you can access the Linux operating system and get all the necessary packages installed, you should be able to install the Github project linked above, which will give you TouchOSC Bridge-like behavior for Linux systems.

Hopefully this information was helpful!
As a reference, the online documentation for TouchOSC can be found here: Introduction · TouchOSC | hexler.net
Please let us know if you have any other questions, and thank you for your use and support of TouchOSC!

I really hope this is of some use to the boffins on here. It would be a great bonus for the Dwarf.

Look forward to some ideas etc

Cheers for reading

5 Likes

Wonder why this topic had not got any traction.

But at the first glance, looks like it should be possible to try using TouchOSC in two ways -

• directly connecting phone to MOD’s usb A
  • connecting RPI0w to MOD’s usb, using g_midi drivers on rpi0w to mimic a usb midi device. After that we can forward data from touchOSC using your bridge running on rpi0w to MOD.
    ( I am currently using g_midi to stream drums from rpi0 to MDX via usb, and that seems to work fine)

Cheers for jumping in.

I have been able to connect via USB to Dwarf with good results but its yet another cable atrached which sort of defeated the point of the Dwarf in my mind.

I was really looking for ways to connect via WIFI like I can with my PC.

Are you using WIFI on the Pi? Although thats another box and wires but good to see lots of workarounds.

I guess as Dwarf is moving more towards guitar amps the quirky fun stuff I bought it for will be left behind somewhat.

My case of using Rpi0w is an external homebrew midi implementation of the BeatBuddy drum machine functionality in python.

Rpi0w is configured as usb gadget, pretends to be a usb midi device, and streams midi drum notes to my ModDuoX via MDX’s USB A, and also listens and syncs to MDX’s tempo.

Are you using WIFI on the Pi?

I use Rpi0w’s Wifi in the client mode for configuring my python drum app using flask-based web interface (composing drum songs from the library of midi clips) , but it has nothing to do with MDX web interface. There is only usb midi connection between rpi0w and MOD in my setup and nothing related to network.

Also drum midi is sensitive to timing, timing is sensitive to cpu usage, therefore I disable any midi processing when working with my Rpi0w’s web interface.
Never tried sending midi and providing web interface in the same time.

I was really looking for ways to connect via WIFI like I can with my PC.

If I understand correctly, you want to reach MOD’s web interface. My RPI0w case does not help with that.

If you need to reach MOD’s web ui via wifi you have two known options:

1. Using Mango router connected to Usb B (basically connecting cable you usually use for PC to Mango)
    Work! Access over WiFi with GL.iNet GL-MT300Nv2
    I’ve tried that, and it works. This way you get a Wifi AP you can connect to, and see MOD’s WebUI by IP.

2. Most of the time I use a Wifi dongle connected to USB A of MOD. However, with this method MOD would be a Wifi client only, AccessPoint mode is still not implemented, you would need some existing wifi network to connect to. I connect MDX to my home WIFI network, and reach WebUI that way 90% of the time without additional usb cables.
    WiFi - MOD Wiki