I’m considering getting a Novation Launchpad Mini to use with my Dwarf, but I’m not sure it’s the ideal solution for me.
It seems to be geared more toward Ableton Live integration specifically, but my needs are “simpler” than that. I just play my guitar and write boring traditional pop/rock songs.
What I am looking for is basically a combination of:
- Drum machine style control of drum plugins on the Dwarf - I need to be able to control at least a 8 row x 32 column sequencer. I think that will require 4 ‘pages’ on the launchpad.
- Some extra parameter controls and toggles
The only thing that has me hesitating on getting the LpM is that I’m wondering if I’d be better served with an actual hardware sequencer, where I could control tempo and everything directly on the device, and use it to control the Dwarf - As opposed to just a ‘dumb’ MIDI controller toggling steps on an 8x8 sequencer plugin on the Dwarf itself.
- Size - MUST be as small as possible. I want to use it on the sofa. If I could find a pocket-calculator sized unit with 8x32 grid of buttons I’d jump on it.
- Simplicity - I want to make music with it, not spend time configuring or learning how to use it.
- Price - I don’t mind spending the money to get something decent, but I can’t justify a huge cost for something when I’m not even sure what I’m wanting to get out of it.
I’ve had literally ZERO experience with MIDI sequencers, and don’t even know what options there are out there beyond the Akai MPC stuff.
So I guess my questions ultimately are:
- Does anyone have experience using the LpM on MOD devices, and can give their thoughts and experiences? Do they work well together?
- Are there better options for simple midi control than the LpM, in the same price/size range?
- To those with experience working with hardware sequencers - Based on the limited information you have about me and what I’m looking for, do you think that is the better way to go?
Sorry for the long-winded post. I appreciate any input you have.