Show Us Your MOD Setup!

Ok, so I don’t yet have all of the pieces, so I can’t exactly show off my finished idea for a “faux modular” inspiration board. But these is what I currently have envisioned in my mind:

The signal path would look something like:

Instrument → Tuner → Bogner overdrive → ProCo RAT → Koch Pedaltone → Mod Duo X

With the middle bits being routed through some or all of the other pedals on the board depending on what kind of sound I’m going for before being run through the Milkman The Amp 50 or a Universal Audio Dream 65 and into my interface, or DI box to a mixer. And I’d probably add some form of MIDI foot switcher for the MOD, as well as some form of knob/fader controller for parameters inside the MOD like a Behringer BCR2000 or Akai APC type controller.

Of course, this is assuming this doesn’t turn into a monster ground loop generator. But hey, optimizing and troubleshooting is part of the fun right?

Please say it’s part of the fun. Lie to me if necessary. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The last sentence is the best! :joy: :joy: :rofl: :sweat_smile:
I am more a fn of small pedalboards, but the plan is fine… and expensive…

2 Likes

The pain IS the fun!

2 Likes

@Kim I actually have most of the pedals I want for my setup, with the exception of the Microcosm and the 2 UA pedals, both of which are surprisingly affordble on the used market. I’ve actually seen a bunch of the Microcosm pedals come on the used market lately, which to me sounds like people never really explored it as a “real time” pedal where you mess with the settings, and just got bored of the stock beep-boop noises.

My setup!
It’s a little outdated in the photo. Today, in addition to the tablet, I put my cell phone with it to monitor the status (on/off) of the M-vave chocolate buttons. As much as I had to buy the chocolate and the expression pedal to meet the need (since the expression I bought from the MOD will be sent to me), I achieved good results using its mid configuration in advanced custom mode. I can work with it by turning effects on and off and I can also use it by holding the button to change banks and activate entire presets without having to use many MIDI tools on the DUO.
I’m using the MIDICOMMANDER app on both my cell phone and tablet and I managed to make everything responsive.

12 Likes

Pedalboard update: picked up a Pedaltrain Nano+, and I think it’s pretty close to perfect for my needs. Mounted the Dwarf, a strobostomp mini and can fit 2-3 other pedals on it. All powered by a CIOKS system underneath

9 Likes

I have now performed three jazz gigs with the following setup:

• Manne Acustibass 6 string bass →
  • MOD Dwarf →
  • EA iAmp 550 →
  • Barefaced gen. 3 Super Midget.

Photo from last night’s gig:

I am not planning on adding any more sound processing pedals, but I think I will need to add a MIDI footswitch.

9 Likes

hello, friends!

about a year and a half ago, i posted this setup from a duo session with a friend:

the project has continued, and tomorrow we’re doing a live show to celebrate the release of the tracks recorded back in 2022!

here’s the current version of the spaceship:

…there’s also a bassoon and a clarinet feeding into part of the rig, out of the frame.

as you can see, more hardware effects this time, and all 3 MOD devices are in the game. i’m also running headless this time - don’t wanna deal with a computer in performance (well, except for the Duo, Duo X, and Dwarf… haha!). but i’ll have a laptop on hand, in case anything goes haywire and requires a quick fix in the GUI. i’ve got a lot of parameter assignments in multiple pages (and subpages too, on the Dwarf) - i’ve attempted to be as logical as possible with the layouts and it feels fairly intuitive in rehearsal. but, yes, it’s complicated. :robot: we’ll see how the old brain does, accessing all the controls on the fly during performance! lol

in case any of you are interested, the first track in the set of four tracks from 2022 is now live:

“one” from “firsttracks” by bearbell - Spotify

18 Likes

Wow @plutek ! This is a cool setup. And I can see at least three, maybe four Mod units. I’m a bit jealous… :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :grinning:
Do you have an audio sample online? I would like to hear what kind of music you make.

1 Like

Do you use Crux to power Dwarf? Dwarf works on a single DC7’s output. I use it like that and it works perfectly.

1 Like

Yes, the Crux is for the Dwarf. I haven’t tried using a single DC7 port or a “merged” pair, but I’ve seen a few people (like you) have success with that setup.

1 Like

haha @Kim … yeah i’ve been on the MOD bandwagon from the start! my motto has always been “adopt early and often”. lol …although that means my Duo and Footswitch are both the Kickstarter Edition, and my Duo X is an LE, so i’ve missed out on some improvements that were made later. i waited to get a later Dwarf… yay!

most of this stuff has happened live, but there are a few things online to listen to…

the first track from the new album is now live:

and these are also pretty typical of my output:

T2022 on spotify

“today the sun spoke to me” on Bandcamp

5 Likes

Hi @plutek Nice music! I really like it. Which instrument is this? A Tenor Sax?

1 Like

thanks a lot, @Kim – glad you enjoyed! :pray:

woodwinds on these tracks:
“one” and “today the sun spoke to me”: clarinet
“T2022”: bassoon

These are very lovely pieces. Inspiring to me on a high level :slight_smile:

2 Likes

tyvm @Elk_wrath ! :heart:

2 Likes

Here my minimal contraption for jamsessions, allowing for a 3-minute setup time :slight_smile:
I use it mainly with saxophone input through my rusty and trusty SM58.
It’s mounted on a stand, so that I can adjust things on the fly without too many workout moves.
Signal goes into the Dwarf, then into my DD3 (with additional foot button), back into the Dwarf and into the P.A.

The mechanical part of the foot pedal is an old Boss control pedal, but the innards have been replaced by an Arduino Nano which sends Midi to the Dwarf (while I patently wait for my MOD foot pedal :sweat_smile: )

10 Likes

nice one, @janklug !

love the minimalist approach… i tend to run monstrosities which take an hour or so of setup and config, but lately have been trying to develop much more efficient rigs for specific shows.

…great to see another reed player around here!.. :clap: :partying_face:

2 Likes

Here a more complete version of a setup, for a recent solo noise performance… Same Dwarf, same DD3, but then also some other boxes with knobs :slight_smile:

Input is next to the sax also a Softpop 2 synth, a Claravox theremin, Korg drummachine, and Pataphone.

6 Likes

oh ja, and an old Alesis Nanoverb, which has the nice attitude of not stressing out when putting sounds in endless reverb space, but just adding a nice distortion to the result. Would be nice to teach that trick to my Dwarf!

2 Likes