SHIRO - Gaffa

Hello everyone!

We have a new commercial plugin, called the Gaffa.

The plugin is made by SHIRO and is a very characterful delay. It doesn’t perfectly replicate your input like digital delays do, but instead it explores the irregularities, quirks and sound coloring of analog tape delays.

More information can be found here: Gaffa - MOD Devices

For everyone who wants to try it out and play with it, the plugin is now available in our plugin-store!

Best,

Bram

17 Likes

Ooh, looking forward to trying this!

Oh, and it even has a nice description! :+1:

1 Like

Good gosh how can we Praise the Dev?

1 Like

Took about 2 minutes with the trial version before i had to buy it. What a brilliant pedal, especially with all the controls assigned on the DuoX!

… I’d have paid €13 just for the presets even if the pedal had been free - brilliant implementation!

1 Like

Completed successfully, easily, with no hassle.

1 Like

You guys noticing that the crinkle knob doesn’t do anything?

Crinkle introduces noisy artifacts on the repeats that I like to describe as “dusty” (see the Fairy Dusty preset). It’s more apparent when the tape age is set to the right. Bias on the other hand is how sound is put on the tape. If it’s underbiased there will be dropouts after a few repeats around the zero-crossing point (crossover/zero-crossing distortion) or in the softer part of the wet signal (see the Unbiased Opinion preset). If you overbias, the sound will be pushed more into a soft-clipping circuit that can introduce some overdrive (see the Mulholland Drive preset). I hope this clarified things! If not don’t hesitate to ask. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thanks all for the kind words!

2 Likes
  1. I is there a way we could dial up the intensity (50%) of the crinkle knob, its seems really subtle.
  2. how difficult is it to re-order the path of the tape age to, before the delay?

I’ve found that the value range of the crinkle knob is what I was going for, but to come back to your question no there’s no end-user intensity dial-up. As for the tape age, the wet signal will pass through the tape age at least once, and again on every repeat after the first delay. Again this was by design. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

id pay for something like that aka Gaffa 2

I bought the Gaffa a few weeks ago and really loved the sound but was kinda bummed there was no option to sync to MIDI clock and adjust time in BPM divisions. Today, I decided to assign time to knob 1 on my Duo and BAM that option was there all along! That feature should be mentioned in the plugin description and/or noted in the ui! It’s too sweet to be kept a secret like that!

6 Likes

Hi @bleo, this feature is actually not specific for this plugin. There are quite a few that have this feature on time based parameters. There is some documentation on the bottom of this page: https://wiki.moddevices.com/wiki/Tutorial:_Using_Time_Based_Parameters . However, I agree it would be valuable to look at other methods of communicating such features.

That is way cool! I guess I should check some of my other fave plugins (like Floaty Delay) to see if they also inform MOD that they have time based parameters and can be BPM synced! Thanks for the heads up on that, @BramGiesen !

1 Like

@SHIRO-Plugins I really love the Gaffa delay, it sounds so great! One thing I’ve noticed is that the repeats can be a little bright. It’s awesome that there’s a lowcut, but is it possible to add a high cut, or the ability to effects loop in an external filter? Again, great work!

2 Likes

That’s really nice to hear, thank you! The “tape age” parameter acts as a fancy lowpass filter with the value set being the cutoff frequency. That parameter should sort you out! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh, good to know! I thought I heard some lowpass effect there, but I hadn’t played with it enough to solidify that. Thanks for confirming, and again, it’s a great sounding plugin!

1 Like

Thanks for this. I was a bit shocked that the Duo X didn’t actually come with something as bread-n-butter as this, but I snapped it up as soon as I found it. I might of sent the Duo X back had it not been for this plugin. It’s crucial to the sounds I like.