Release 1.13

Hi there everyone, the stable release of v1.13 is here - v1.13.0 aka “Keep your pedalboards close and your banks closer”.

This release focuses on 2 main things - Separation of User and Factory content and toolchain updates.

The list of new features was posted on the 1.13.0-RC1 announcement, but let’s go through them again.

Separation of User and Factory content

In order to more easily differentiate between user-created pedalboards and those from the system (also called “factory pedalboards”), this update ships with pedalboards as part of the system contents.
Not just for a separation, this feature also allows us to easily ship updates of factory content to users.

This means future updates will not only bring features and updates, but also new pedalboards.

NOTE: This feature only applies to Dwarf units.

User and Factory pedalboard separation:

Similarly on the Banks view:

Toolchain updates

This is mostly useful for developers, specially those needing a C++17 compatible environment.

Starting with 1.13 the OS builds will use gcc9 with glibc2.38, allowing not only to build and run more recent codebases but also optimize them better.

This makes it possible to port plugins based on JUCE7 and also directly run some plugin builds done elsewhere (for example with a rust compiler).

Allow to privately share a pedalboard

A checkbox in the share dialog has been added, allowing to privately share a pedalboard.

Make sure to copy the link after sharing, as after you close the dialog you won’t see it again!

Add Bluetooth and WiFi firmware

MOD units will now ship with firmware for Bluetooth and WiFi drivers, so most Bluetooth and WiFi USB sticks can work out of the box without needing to manually place firmware files inside the unit’s system.

There’s also quite a few more changes and tweaks.
Visit Releases#Release_1.13 to see all changes since v1.12.

The next time you open the MOD web interface you’ll receive an update notification.
Just click on the tooltip icon in the bottom-right when that happens, then ‘Download’ and finally ‘Upgrade Now’.
Wait for a few minutes while the MOD updates itself automatically. :slight_smile:

We hope you’re enjoying your MOD device.
Let us know if you find any issues.

28 Likes

There’s something strange with this new release!!! The same pedalboard that before was at 50% now is jumped to 68% and I can say that it is valid for at least 5 or 6 pedalbords (downloaded from the pedalbord site)…
Eg.
Ambient Toolbox is now close to 100% without input signals (86 to 91)
New Pedalbord with only input and output modules (MOD) is at 15%
Roamer Clean Jazz GTR v.2 pedalboar is at 98%

edit
Forgot… also the RAM usage is increased…

4 Likes

Just curious, which Mod device are you using??

To add a data point, I’m seeing increased CPU usage on my Dwarf. I noted the CPU level on my active board before updating and it was steadily at 60/61% while “idle” (instruments connected but not in use). After upgrading the CPU use on the same board fluctuates between 63 - 68%, with spikes every several seconds from anywhere between 70 to > 90% while idle. I enabled the developer toolbar and saw 15 xruns while playing for a few minutes after the upgrade. I don’t know if they were present before the upgrade.

I don’t know if it’s related, but I stepped away for just a few minutes after that, and the WebGUI wouldn’t respond or reload until I rebooted the device.

4 Likes

Dwarf…

1 Like

I also noticed the CPU utilisation increase on the RC1 on a Dwarf. I have not checked RAM though as it has never been on high levels (not more than 30-40%

There are issues when the convolution reverb is used with parallel effects. I can’t use any comvolution reverb on my dwarf if there are parallel effect in the signal chain without having cpu peak and audio drops. My pedalboard that use only only 50% of the CPU is very instable if I use Dogood reverb or Convolution reverb.

Hi @falkTX,
I might buy a bluetooth dongle so I’d like to know if Bluetooth 5 is now supported.

As much as I would like to say yes, I cant confirm it.
As far as I know, yes it should work, but I don’t have such a dongle at the moment to test so it is best to confirm with other users if they have bluetooth working with v1.13.

1 Like

I’ve tested Asus BT500 but it doesn’t work.
On Bluetooth section it’s Status: Discoverable
But on the phone it doesn’t connect (tethering it’s not active after connection try)
With the other BT key 4.0 there is no problem (as before the new release

1 Like

The volume on my Dwarf is totally screwed up. Basically, MUCH lower volume on everything. So that it is now unusable. I have tried my pedalboards and yours. The output is pinned red no matter what I do. I have the input for my guitar at 8.5. Can you tell me the default settings for the input and output sections please?

2 Likes

I played through it with the update last night, no connected PC or GUI. It froze during the middle of a jam but the stakes were low, and I was able to play out on the sounds it was stuck on before rebooting. I’ll use it with different pedalboards later this week and will see how it goes. For the record, I frequently get random spikes well past the 80% cpu, sometimes up to 100, seemingly unconnected to anything I’m doing, but I’m used to a little minor instability…

1 Like

SOooooo… can I go downgrade to 1.12??

2 Likes

Guys, for God’s sake please fix switching snapshots over the control chain!

3 Likes

I hope so.

Yes it’s fine, I just did it. you can download the previous release here :
https://wiki.mod.audio/wiki/Releases

2 Likes

The Asus BT500 (Bluetooth 5.0) worked perfectly with 1.11, then I had to upload the firmware the the device to make it work since 1.12. Not sure if it works out of the box with 1.13 since the firmware is still where I put it.

2 Likes

It looks like I copy it to a USB stick and do it from there. Correct?
And it will wipe out all my pedalboards? (I have backups)

thanks

Not really. On the device, if you go to the device settings and then System Upgrade (the last item in the menu), Your Dwarf will be recognized as a storage device by your computer. Then you just copy and paste the OS version that you want in that store and follow the instructions on the device.

It’s really good to have backups before doing this, anyway, if everything goes accordingly you won’t lose your pedalboards.