Release 1.12.0-RC1

Hi there everyone, a release candidate for a new major release is here - v1.12.0-RC1 aka “Anniversary edition”.

This release focuses on 2 main things - updating the kernel for Duo/Dwarf and bringing some Dwarf features to the Duo X.

Please note that this is a release candidate.
That means it might be stable, but needs widespread testing first to make sure.
If no issues are found in around 2-3 weeks we’ll release it as stable, otherwise we’ll do a RC2.

Also, please note this release does not work on Duo X Limited Edition units! (those without a power switch in the back)
We will keep the previous v1.11 as “Long Term Support” release, and backport relevant bugfixes to it from time to time.

So, what’s new?

Duo X goodies

This update makes the Duo X be in feature parity with the Dwarf, apart from the bank and snapshot management system.
See the v1.11.0-RC1 announcement for details on the new features added to the Dwarf.

So similar to the Dwarf, the Duo X now has:

• audio processing options (built-in noise gate, compressor and gain accessible through the device menus)
  • HMI Widgets support (device controller feedback for plugins)
  • USB-B mode options (in device menus)

A lot of system changes were done internally to be able to support the new features,
which in turn improves the gain control handling.

Additionally, there is a new option in the advanced settings (cogwheel in the bottom-right corner in the web interface) for having SPDIF as separate outputs.
When enabled the pedalboard constructor will have 4 outputs to connect to, the first 2 being for regular analog output, and last 2 for SPDIF.

Updated kernel and system tweaks

There are a lot of system tweaks on this release, for improving stability and reliability.
If you previously had issues with Dwarf booting in an inconsistent state, they will very likely be fixed with this update.

Because the Duo and Dwarf are in sync in their kernel versions, the Duo gets a free update. :slight_smile:
Nothing really changes for it, but it will make it easier for introducing any new features later on when all units are running the same versions.
The Duo X will get its matching kernel update in the future.

Such kernel updates are not totally risk-free, so we did not push it as regular bugfix on v1.11 and waited for a new major release instead.
We did a fair share of testing to ensure there were no regressions.
If you spot anything, please let us know.

Allow plugins to trigger device popups

Plugins are now able to trigger device popups with a custom title and text.
This will be handy for plugins to notify a user when something relevant happens.

For now we do not have any plugins in the store with this feature implemented, but one is already in the works. (the “single, long or double press” button/control to CV plugin)

Note: this feature (along with whole “HMI Widgets”) is not implemented on the Duo

There’s also quite a few more changes and tweaks.
You can read the full changelog below.

Because this release is still under testing, for most users it won’t appear as an update in the web interface just yet.
You will have to manually download and apply the update file if you wish to try it out.
(Beta/Release testers, also known as ‘group 1’, receive this update as usual)

Here are the manual download links:
Duo: https://download.moddevices.com/releases/testing/modduo-v1.12.0.2880-RC1.tar
Duo X: https://download.moddevices.com/releases/testing/modduox-v1.12.0.2884-RC1.tar
Dwarf: https://download.moddevices.com/releases/testing/moddwarf-v1.12.0.2883-RC1.tar

The upgrade procedure is explained at the top of our releases page, here:
http://wiki.moddevices.com/wiki/Releases

Here’s the full changelog:

• Fix alignment of string parameters in settings dialog
  • Fix device screens not updating when pedalboards are changed via MIDI
  • Fix “manage cv ports” action for CV outputs with “cv_” in their name
  • Fix transport info given to plugins
  • Notify plugins of buffer size change (from 128 to 256, or vice-versa)
  • Save snapshots together with pedalboard, when saved from the device
  • Support for plugins to trigger device popups (through HMI Widgets API, Duo X and Dwarf only)
  • Update Duo and Dwarf Linux kernel to 5.17.3
  • Many system tweaks

Duo X specific:

• NEW: add option for SPDIF as separate outputs (in advanced settings)
  • NEW: audio processing options (built-in noise gate, compressor and gain accessible through the device menus)
  • NEW: HMI Widgets support (device controller feedback for plugins)
  • NEW: USB-B mode options (in device menus)
  • Fix various bugs when changing input/output gains
  • Fix integer values on potentiometers not displaying the correct value
  • Change master volume to control pedalboard output gain instead of DAC gain (so output clipping can be prevented)
  • Remove peakmeter service option from advanced settings (now always on)
  • Initial support for Duo X rev. 3 units (with firefly rk3399 SoM)

Dwarf specific:

• NEW: LED brightness option
  • NEW: option to go back a control page by holding foot A
  • Fix issues with deleting snapshots and pedalboards from the device
  • Fix issues regarding device popups overlaying each other
  • Fix various issues regarding momentary foot assignments
  • Fix tempo tool related items not updating when changed from the web-ui

We hope you’re enjoying your MOD unit.
Let us know if you find any issues.

22 Likes

On a related note to 1.12 and duox getting the dwarf features, you can install and use the Looperlative plugin on duox units now. Have fun!

11 Likes

Having been trialling this software for a couple of months, it’s amazing and the Looperlative is just brilliant :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

purchased and work fine :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Installed on my Duo and Dwarf and working great so far! Loving the tempo display fix and LED brightness option!

5 Likes

Haven’t tried this yet but if it I’m correct in assuming I could running the player for backing tracks to the SPDIF out? If so, I have a further suggestion. If say the headphone/CV out socket could be opened up via software as a 5th independent routing output (if not hard wired), this would be killer for a whole band scenario. You could setup some internal mixer plugins and have Click and Cues from 1 audio file player going to the headphone/CV out and then mix your backing track from other audio player/s to the SPDIF outs all the time retaining the main outs 1 - 2 for guitar.

it is hard wired, splitting analog and headphones is impossible with the current hw design

1 Like

Hello, @falkTX. I updated from 1.11.4 or 5, I don’t remember exactly.

The brightness option is awesome. The default behavior makes the light of an assigned footswitch makes “half lighted”. And it’s generally confuses, me. I liked the new option, because off is light off, not half off. :smiley:

Now, unfortunately, I noticed a problem: I don’t can access anymore http://moddwarf.local (ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED). If I try to use http://192.168.51.1, appears ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE. It occurred immediately after I upgrade.

I’m using Kubuntu 20.04. Tested on Firefox and Chrome.

If I try to connect to SSH:

$ ssh root@moddwarf.local
ssh: Could not resolve hostname moddwarf.local: Name or service not known
$ ssh root@192.168.51.1
<doesn't connect>

If I try ssh

$ telnet 192.168.51.1 22
Trying 192.168.51.1...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host

I rebooted the device and didn’t worked. I also change the System Behavior > USB-B Mode > Net+MIDI to MIDI and it didn’t worked.

I don’t know what more I can try to do.

Update

After change back to System Behavior > USB-B Mode > Net+MIDI, telnet works, both ssh and mod-ui aren’t working

1 Like

hmm I have 20.04 myself and things are working as always.
Does dmesg show anything suspicious when you connect the dwarf?

This happened to me once, not associated with an upgrade, though. What I did was

1. Disconnect USB (either on Dwarf end or PC end)
  2. Reboot Dwarf
  3. Reconnect USB

My (complete and total) guess is that the host PC’s networking wasn’t triggering on insertion of the USB device, so rebooting separately and inserting after the Dwarf helped, but I’m not sure about that. (this happened on Ubuntu Studio 21.10)

1 Like

Hi. Possible issue with audio file player where mp3 taking time to play after restart. If I add a file to the Audio Tracks directory, return to Constructor page and press ON to start the track it starts instantly or if I select any other track in the directory. However, if I stop and try to restart after about 10 seconds or let the track play to the end and try to restart it takes about 10 or more seconds for audio to happen at outputs. I can see the orange bars moving but no audio at output for considerable time.

Additionally, if I select another track and then revert to the original track it will start instantly.

2 Likes

I also tried with Windows 10 and didn’t worked (but maybe there was missing a driver).

dmesg

[  338.298838] usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
[  338.452139] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0104, bcdDevice=32.30
[  338.452142] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[  338.452144] usb 1-2: Product: MOD Dwarf
[  338.452145] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: MOD Devices
[  338.452147] usb 1-2: SerialNumber: 00523
[  338.481407] cdc_ether 1-2:1.0 usb0: register 'cdc_ether' at usb-0000:00:14.0-2, CDC Ethernet Device, 12:00:52:ff:ff:ff
[  338.481635] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
[  338.482308] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
[  338.502078] cdc_ether 1-2:1.0 enx120052ffffff: renamed from usb0

When I connect, appears

But after some time there was appears some message error and dmesg added

[  382.924606] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: Unhandled alg: 0x71b
[  382.924643] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: Unhandled alg: 0x71b
[  387.662454] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[  390.602359] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7

and shows

After tried to reconnect, I checked ip addr. Connection is apparently ok

9: enx120052ffffff: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 12:00:52:ff:ff:ff brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.51.119/24 brd 192.168.51.255 scope global dynamic noprefixroute enx120052ffffff
       valid_lft 43151sec preferred_lft 43151sec
    inet6 fe80::d903:6559:1819:1a02/64 scope link noprefixroute 
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft foreve

If I try to access

$ ssh root@192.168.51.1 -vvv
OpenSSH_8.2p1 Ubuntu-4ubuntu0.5, OpenSSL 1.1.1f  31 Mar 2020
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 19: include /etc/ssh/ssh_config.d/*.conf matched no files
debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 21: Applying options for *
debug2: resolve_canonicalize: hostname 192.168.51.1 is address
debug2: ssh_connect_direct
debug1: Connecting to 192.168.51.1 [192.168.51.1] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file [...]
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_8.2p1 Ubuntu-4ubuntu0.5

and nothing occurs

1 Like

I tried the SPDIF option, it seems very convenient. A question about audio quality here: What is convenient to use? the analog or digital outputs? Does the A / D conversion for your benchmarks create noticeable aliasing or can it be used for recording?

Only thing I noticed is an increase in volume / headroom on SPDIF.

Thanks

1 Like

I tried a lot of combination of turn off and turn on and no one worked.

@falkTX, is it possible to downgrade the mod version without losing the user data? I didn’t backup the pedalboards :frowning:

1 Like

You can always safely downgrade, only the factory-reset images will delete/format user data.

But we are moving forwards with 1.12, not backwards. So it is best to try to find the reason this fails.
From what I have seen, you are the first one to have this issue.

The line from your system:

[  387.662454] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7

look very suspicious. perhaps you are running a hardened/locked down kernel?

2 Likes

this is something which will make MOD footswitch even more super tweakable unit.

5 Likes

This is great!

4 Likes

Appreciate the continued development to bring the DuoX up to parity…

…apart from the bank and snapshot management system

Any idea when these might arrive?

2 Likes

Just to describing clearly when I detected the problem at the first time:

1. I connected the mod dwarf on my computer;
  2. I open http://moddwarf.local
  3. The website recommended a system update (because I’m in the beta testers)
  4. I updated
  5. I waited the mod dwarf reboot, and it occurred
  6. I waited the http://moddwarf.local autoreload after update, as usual. But it didn’t occurred;
  7. I tried reload the page, reconnect mod dwarf, reboot mod dwarf, reboot my laptop and all of them didn’t worked.

I don’t know. But I remember that I updated the kernel recently by the usual process: the update software recommends me to install the updated versions and I agreed.

Edit: dmesg shows me

> dmesg | grep lockdown
[    0.000000] Kernel is locked down from EFI Secure Boot mode; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[    0.758835] Lockdown: swapper/0: hibernation is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[    1.088470] Lockdown: systemd-udevd: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[    1.311098] Lockdown: systemd-udevd: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[    3.267303] Lockdown: systemd: /dev/mem,kmem,port is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[    4.472297] Lockdown: systemd-udevd: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[    4.873894] Lockdown: systemd-udevd: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[    7.035138] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[    7.082725] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[    7.481161] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[    7.996648] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[    8.341536] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[    9.001813] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[    9.293058] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[    9.735359] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[   10.081884] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[   10.674749] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[   10.909992] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[   17.422051] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[   17.675217] Lockdown: Xorg: raw io port access is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[   19.971157] Lockdown: systemd-logind: hibernation is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[   19.977057] Lockdown: systemd-logind: hibernation is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[   19.978826] Lockdown: systemd-logind: hibernation is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[  234.980546] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[  235.150850] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[  235.469220] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[  235.472590] Lockdown: systemd-logind: hibernation is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[  235.474357] Lockdown: systemd-logind: hibernation is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[  235.474592] Lockdown: systemd-logind: hibernation is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[  235.474804] Lockdown: systemd-logind: hibernation is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[  235.474812] Lockdown: systemd-logind: hibernation is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[  242.056668] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[  395.639134] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[  397.188894] Lockdown: modprobe: unsigned module loading is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7
[  558.080931] Lockdown: fwupd: /dev/mem,kmem,port is restricted; see man kernel_lockdown.7

Some other tests that I did:

• I tested the dwarf on a Windows 10 on the same computer and didn’t worked;
  • I tested the dwarf on a Kubuntu 22.04 live cd on the same computer and didn’t worked;
  • I tested the equipment on other computer with Windows 10 and didn’t worked;
  • I took the dwarf to my work and tested with an Ubuntu 22.04 and an Ubuntu 20.04 and they worked!

I don’t know what is happening :thinking:

1 Like