Ranked by CPU usage

Let me summarize the events you expect from the footswitches :

• footswitch 1 :
    • on : disto on, whammy off
    • off : disto off
  • fottswitch 2 :
    • on : whammy on, disto off
    • off : whammy off

I still haven’t found a solution for the moment. However, you can easily have this :

• footswitch 1 :
    • on : disto on, whammy off
    • off : whammy on, disto off
  • fottswitch 2 :
    • on : footswitch 1 state
    • off : both off

This means the 1st footswitch would select the plugin and the 2nd footswitch would turn on/off the selected plugin. Maybe not as convenient as your goal but easily doable with a Control to CV and a CV Switchbox.

You also have the solution of browsing the 3 states with one footswitch.

3 Likes

I have thought about your idea quite intensively and I have come to the conclusion there’s something impossible. You want the footswitch 1 to have an effect on what is assigned to the footswitch 2 and vice versa. But that’s not possible to assign a parameter to multiple controls, even with CV.

You may find a dirty workaround (like modifying different parameters that have a similar effect) but you wouldn’t have any feedback on the footswiches.

1 Like

Is it still the case that Snapshots cannot be individually mapped to switches? (don’t have my device nearby to check) If not, hopefully this can make it onto the development roadmap. This is what, in my opinion, snapshots should excel at. I understand what you’re asking for - one switch to toggle between two states - but you could achieve similar by having two snapshots saved and then using the two switches to activate one or the other. I’ll note that Headrush has this functionality built-in now. They use the term “Scenes” which are analogous to Snapshots, and you can map two scenes to a single switch to toggle between them. I find it technically interesting that one can achieve multi-function operations using a combination of CV plugins, but most users won’t want to puzzle through all that. I really hope MOD can make progress on making a Snapshots first-class feature since managing and mapping them has always left a little to be desired.

5 Likes

Yes it’s not bad.
I have something similar with the CV switchbox.
With only 1 switch, I cycle through 3 states:
whammy, distortion, nothing.

There hqs to be a way to implement something that will work for more than 2 plugins… got to think a bit more about it :slight_smile:

Similar topic, possibly helpful for more ideas:

4 Likes

Hello,

Still working at it :frowning: one question.
I would like to temporarily bump the cv value of the knob I tweak, ADSR style…
Is there a cheap way to do that?
Lets say when I turn a cv knob up to ten, I would like the value to go all the way to 11 for a monent, then go back to 10 …

Another way to put it would be: is there a way to measure an acceleration or a CV value.

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand what you need exactly but there’s a CV envelope plugin called AMS Envelope. If you need to increase the CV signal, you can use Attenuverter Booster.

2 Likes

Ill look at the envelope.
I do want to boost but temporarily.

1 Like

I might be gett8ng close now, with a CV gate and an attenuator.
I will add the enveloppe, to give a temporary edge to the effect I want tonturn on, over the one which might be turned on.
More on that later.

3 Likes

At least I can show what I want. Now, there has to be a much simpler way to do the same thing.
It seems to be scalable, I have done one with 3 effects (I added the SVT with the exact same 4 cv plugins (control to cv, envelope, attenuverter and gate).

3 Likes

+1 here !
I’ve done a similar request here 7 months ago :

4 Likes

A slightly simpler version (I managed to take out the attenuverter)

So here it is

Each effect is driven by a gate. The gate can only be opened by the user flicking the cv to control button. Its cv signal sent to the gate is boosted by an envelope, making it go over the open threshold.
In parallel, that same envelope is sending an inverted signal to the other gates, shutting them off.
Each gate has a cv meter measuring what is coming to it… very useful to tweak the envelopes.

2 Likes

Me too about 2 years ago:

2 Likes

Hi @RDNZL,
I admire your perseverance. But as I said before, there is an unsolvable issue at the footswitch and feedback level.

Let’s be more tangible and see what happens in your pedalboard. You used 2 Control to CV to turn on/off the distorsion and whammy plugins. When you turn on the 1st one, it turns on the disto and turns off the whammy but it doesn’t turn off the 2nd Control to CV. So the latter’s state becomes unrelated to the one of its associated plugin and you have to turn it off and on again to have an effect.

I suppose that the 2 Control to CV should be assigned to footswitches to make the peadalboard useful. And on the Dwarf’s screen you will have that situation where the 2 footswitches are “on” although only one effect is enabled. This means that the feedback will confuse you and you will sometimes have to make a double tap to enable an effect.

2 Likes

Isn’t it simplest to use midi ?

• footswitch 1 (control to CV) : send ON/OFF to :
    → modify the Value from 0 to 127 of a 1st infamous mindi. This midi message enabled/disable the disto
    → goes through a Attenuverter Booster - MOD Audio and then to another infamous mindi to set the Value from 0 to 0. This midi message disabled the whammy

• footswitch 2 (control to CV) : send ON/OFF to :
    → modify the Value from 0 to 127 of a 1st infamous mindi. This midi message enabled/disable the whammy
    → goes through a Attenuverter Booster and then to another infamous mindi to set the Value from 0 to 0. This midi message disabled the disto

4 Likes

I did think about throwing in some midi in there indeed :slight_smile: I will have a look at that.

3 Likes

Yes, indeed, when you turn the second one on, the first one is still engaged.
But I think I can live with that. The main thing, really, is to never have more than one running.
Again, the real aim here is to prevent a CPU overload.

A typical use case:
I am playing with distortion, that the main sound of the piece. Then I need some occasional whammy → I press the whammy switch.
When I don’t need the whammy, I press the whammy switch again, I am back to the distorsion, happy days.

3 Likes

@RDNZL
I agree that your typical use case will eliminate the need of the double tap.

But considering the problem of wrong feedback that can lead to problems in a live situation and the overwhelmed pedalboard, I think the Switchbox solution (only 2 CV plugins) is more elegant in general. Remember : the 1st footswitch switches from one effect to the other, the 2nd one turns on/off the effect.

In your typical use case :
1st footswitch is on distortion, 2nd one is “on”.
If you need whammy, you press the 1st one, if you don’t need it anymore, you press it again.

It looks simpler than @RDNZL’s peadlboard for the same purpose. I’m afraid it would suffer the same footswitch feedback problem. But it’s definitely worth the try, especially if he wants to stick to his use mode.

By the way, I’m French too and I saw on your website that you played prog rock, which is cool.

5 Likes

Merci beaucoup !!! Ca fait également plaisir de voir des francophones ici ! :wink:

4 Likes
4 Likes