Please make Drop able to drop -24 semitones

I know, this makes no sense for guitarists, but when I want to play bass on my violin I need -24 semitones. Now I add the subbasssynth behind Drop & that sounds great, but I’m on the edge of CPU limit and like to go -2 Octaves with only the drop for violin.

Drop sounds really good by the way. It is not that easy to find such good sounding polyphonic and fast octavers on any platform.

3 Likes

It would be better to make a new plugin (“Ultra Drop”?) because augmenting an existing plugin like that means that all existing pedalboards would break.

What if you just add two drops after one another?

4 Likes

Two drops would mean double cpu.

1 Like

I used two drops in line - latency is twice higher but in some cases it can be useful.

2 Likes
3 Likes
8 Likes

@zwabo Thanks, worked great. It was important to clear browsercache in the end…

4 Likes

wow! Thanks to you all !

3 Likes

Is it possible to make something similar with the 2 Voices plugin?

1 Like

Do you mean what @jesse suggested in the other thread?
I didn’t check it myself, but I would believe that it is

1 Like

Yes, something that makes no waste your time. I tried to improvise changing the plugin name but I didn’t find the same environment so I gave up to avoid mistake. Sometime i prefere have both -12 and -24 mixed, since 2 Voices has a good quality sound I thought it could replace the 2 drop that I use saving some cpu.

1 Like

@CarloDossi, depending on how you route your audio, running 2 instances of Drop might actually be cheaper on the CPU.

If you are running them in parallel, the load can be distributed over 2 CPU cores.
If you are running them serially, the load can not be distributed, because the first one needs to finish processing before the second one can be processed.

The 2Voices plugin does not process the signals in parallel if I remember correctly, so you won’t take advantage of the multiple CPU cores by using this one.

Having said that, the same hack to extend the range can be applied to 2Voices too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, if it does not save cpu in parallel so I don’t need others hack. Thanks for your reply

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip @jesse. This is useful information, even out of the context of this thread.

This means if I have a pedalboard that use every input (guitar, bass and MIDI keyboard) in order to feed a looper, the general CPU load shouldn’t be much higher than the single most demanding of the 3 processed signals.

That also means one should consider with even more interest the idea of using effects in parallel (as you did in the INST pedalboards where you separated delay and reverb).

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, how would that work in a parallel arrangement? The second drop inevitably needs to operate on the previously “dropped” signal. Or am I missing something?

1 Like

Take a look at the link “double octave down” posted same day ago by zwabo. Jesse shared a little procedure to drop 24 semitone down, so also in parallel make sense

2 Likes