New plugin GuitarMidi-LV2

Hi. I don’t know if this is the right place here on the mod forum:
I’d like to announce the release of my LV2 plugin GuitarMidi (https://github.com/geraldmwangi/GuitarMidi-LV2).
It analyses polyphonic audio from a guitar signal and extracts the individual notes.
It’s in early stages and has some bugs I’ve documented in the readme. It isnt yet available for the mod, but I’ll work on that once it works well on the PC
I’d be happy for feedback.
I will also announce this on the linux audio mailing list once my subscription there is accepted

36 Likes

Very interesting! Keep us posted with your progress. As a guitarist, this fascinates me

7 Likes

It would help if people test it and give me feedback :wink:

3 Likes

I’d be happy to. I assume I need a Linux PC for that, am I right?

This would be a great addition to the MOD family.

2 Likes

I wish I could but I don’t have a linux machine or anything remotely like that…except my Dwarf.
Packed up in a beta plugin, I’d gladly co-operate ^^

3 Likes

That is awesome @jimsondrift

Congratulations on the accomplishment!

Would you need any help to publish it as Beta, so that users could give you feedback?

Best wishes

8 Likes

@jimsondrift You may be able to get further feedback from https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=24413.

1 Like

Yes you need Linux. I run ubuntu 20.04 with kxstudio repos

Yes. I know how to build Plugins with no extra deps with plugin builder. Guitarmidi has aubio as a dependency. How do I handle that, put that on the mod? I suppose I have to add an arm64 build to the lv2 bundle?
The plugin is still very alpha though, I need help in understanding lv2 midi api

3 Likes

Good idea, didn’t think about linuxmusicians.
Thanks for opening that thread

4 Likes

I’ve finally solved my midi problems. Now GuitarMidi-LV2 is working pretty solid. It still has a high latency for playing funk, but it is suitable for playing soft pads in Helm synth. Have fun trying it out

7 Likes

Great work! I haven’t tried it yet. Any idea when will we see it as a beta plugin for the mod?

1 Like

Maybe in 4 weeks, but i’m not sure. GuitarMidi-LV2 has extra dependencies and I don’t know yet how I’ll put those on the mod. I’m even working on the code to drop those dependencies if possible

6 Likes

it’s actually quite interesting

1 Like

Could be a very interesting application!

2 Likes

Thanks. On the PC its working fairly well. I’ll try to get it on the mod presumably on friday, since I just managed to get rid of the extra dependencies. It could still take some weeks till its available as beta

12 Likes

Very interested to try this out!

I run midi guitar 2 in my daw into a synth vst often.
With this i believe i will be able to replicate that entirely using my dwarf by itself!

Looking forward for to see it in the beta store :grinning:

6 Likes

I have a Strat with a Roland GK3 (onboard) pickup and a 13 pin jack.
To use this I have to take the GR55 guitar synth with me.
Use it mostly only for ambient sounds.
Every piece I can leave at home for a GIG makes the dwarf more valuable. :blush:

6 Likes

A little sidetrack, but still on the subject: I have proposed the dev team to think about including 13’pin GR compatible input into Dwarf, but I do appreciate that this is a proprietary format and it may be tricky to get Roland’s permission (Terratec has pulled this off though witht heir Axons).
Being GR-equipped guiatrs and processors user for decades, I have always been skeptical about ‘midi guitar’-like software based converters, BUT, having said that, I’d be very interested to try the plugin out! Could be a huge space-saver on my pedalboard if I can get rid of good ol’ Roland GR-33.

4 Likes

That’s the kind of thing where I wonder to what degree any upcoming control chain devices could “mod” the i/o as well as providing additional functionality (like with the much anticipated expression pedal).