New plugin GuitarMidi-LV2

Not the I/O, I’m afraid, but expression pedal is relatively easy to build with a control chain device.

1 Like

I’m working hard on getting it beta ready. Like I said above it will be about 4 weeks.
If you use linux you can already try it out. See https://github.com/geraldmwangi/GuitarMidi-LV2 for details

9 Likes

Awww, okay. Good to know!

1 Like

I mean, I shouldn’t probably have spoken instead of MOD developers, but I’m diggin’ through the control chain interface rather intensively now, and I can say at least that in its current state the control chain interface does not support audio throughput.

I’m afraid this is not doable (MOD folks are welcome to weigh on this one).

The whole thing about the 13-pin connections (Roland, Yamaha, Axon, KM, etc) is the individual output for each string. To make a MOD device respond to that, it would need to have 6 physical inputs, and the hardware cost for that would be prohibitive – considering how MOD designed it.

Therefore, I don’t think it makes sense from an investment standpoint to implement something that will make MOD’s price skyrocket and caters to a very restricted market.

At present, the best way to input midi guitar into MOD is to use Fishman’s TriplePlay, which can replace the external GK pickup on other guitars.

Or else: an Axon 100 via 5-pin midi ports or the 50 via USB; A Roland GR55, VG99, GP-10 or SY1000 via USB. The advantage of these options is that you can use your guitars as they are now. However, all of the above except the SY1000 are now discontinued…

Technically, to input a hexaphonic guitar pickup into a preamp it only takes 8 wires – 6 for strings and 2 for ground/shield, and the RJ 45 connector can handle that (for very small currents). In the 13-pin hexaphonic ‘standard’, remaining pins carry + and - 7 volts, the magnetic pickup signal, and the electric signal from the 2 switches (PC up/down and mag/hex/blend). One pin is not used.

Whether or not the control chain port could be used to input audio is a question for the MOD team. (My guess would be not without significant modifications.)

1 Like

I think it would make more sense to have a separate usb interface with a 13 pin input. That interface could be connected to the Dwarf via usb to expand the inputs. I’m not sure if something like that exists but in theory it would probably be the best way to do it (if you want individual audio signals and not just midi signals)

5 Likes

No one would prevent you from incorporating such a thing, if such a thing exists. :wink:

1 Like

I’d love too but we can’t really take on another hardware device like that at the moment haha

That is if you mean us making the interface?

If an interface like that already exists it should already work

3 Likes

This is exactly what the Roland GI-10 does.

2 Likes

Well it transfer to MIDI-notes , could also work if there is a plugin with e.g the whole GM Instruments.

Addendum.: The GR55 would also deliver MIDI-Notes at the MIDI-Out.
But then it would not be sensefull to send MIDI-notes to the Dwarf.
The GR55 can more then I expect a LV2 plugin can do. :wink:

1 Like

Somebody needs to invent an inline version of that, the size of an SM-57 or smaller.

To the mod Team: how do I get into the beta program

1 Like

Quick update: guitarmidi-lv2 is working at ~10ms latency and 256ms well done to G, 3rd fret on Estring. However each note on the guitar produces higher partials, thus multiple harmonic midi notes.
I’m writing analysis tool to help counter that issue. The plugin is still enjoyable with the harmonic partials though

7 Likes

Hi!
Nice work! Is there any chance to get this down to E, to make it usable for the whole E-Bass range?

1 Like

First step is to get it to build with mod-plugin-builder, then submit a plugin package as pull request.
Then I can take care of the rest very quickly, assuming it builds and passes some early validation tests.

Plugin Criteria - MOD Wiki has some details on things we typically check on plugins, though for being in beta you don’t have to do them yet.

1 Like

That’s actually excellent! Roland is probably 40-45 ms for Midi note 43.

4 Likes

Would using plugins to simplify the signal before going into the guitar to midi plugin help?
I’m thinking filters, pitch shifters and such…

1 Like

The filtering required there is a bit ellaborated, @Saki_Ciselas. If you filter out harmonics/partials and transients entirely (which is what the preamps on older Godin guitars did), you end up with a nice “goldilocks” tone, but that only works well if you have one pickup/piezo for each string.

For a scrambled sound – all strings together – you can’t simply filter them all out, or the lower frequency sounds muffle/degrade the sound of higher strings.

One possible approach is to kill notes under a certain velocity threshold, threfore harmonics will not trigger midi notes.

3 Likes

Thanks. Will do that

2 Likes

All filtering is done in the plugin

1 Like