MOD X as a MIDI sequencer for Digitech Whammy DT

I will find out soon if the cable works. I really hope it does. Fingers crossed!

3 Likes

should do - if not get yourself a little junction box, cut the cable in half and swap the wires around. I actually cut an old headphone cable up and soldered a din socket to it while I wait for bits to make a proper junction box .

At least it does kinda work with the DT. If you are feeling creative you could look at the Whamjammer by Notes and Volts. Havent got round to it yet but looks interesting and a very cool demo at the end.

4 Likes

The Sequencer plugins output MIDI notes through a single output (just like if it was a MIDI Keyboard), so with the current sequencers, you donā€™t really have more than that value.
Altough I personally like the approach of something that just sequences values (it can be MIDI values) and then you add the type of message you want. Maybe a plugin like this could have an output per channel (?) Just messing around with ideas here.

Please keep us posted :wink:

2 Likes

Yes.
I would like to encourage a developer to make a plug-in that lets you sequence any kind of value. It doesnā€™t need to go out in separate channels. Just needs to be able to assign whatever value (PC, CC, note etc) per track.

If you need separate channels you can just pull in another one of the plug-in and sync them. Assign each to different channels. Or there can be two assignable values per track.

4 Likes

I am trying to do some presets with different intervals but it is really pain in the ass, since whammy does not read PC messages properly. If you check what notes (and then PC messages are sent) by sequencer they do not match midi implemention chart of whammy. I managed to make a preset with oct up and down with drop, but I feel that the notes that are played by seq are read randomly.

1 Like

check the big seq - midi display shows different values than are set by seq - why?

even when big seq is turned off it still send commands, how is it possible?

Will look at it tomorrow and see if mine does the same.

What do you mean about PCs not being the same ? Are they 1 out? Might be the 0-127 vs 1-128 scenario.

On my test boards the CV out was about +3 on the values so turned the pitch knob down and that helped but skipped a random PC change. I had 43-50 mapped and it initially went 46-53 then when I dragged the pitch down it was 43 - 51 as it missed 46 out. Odd behaviour definitely.

Will sleep on it and see what I can do

1 Like

ā€œOn my test boards the CV out was about +3 on the values so turned the pitch knob down and that helped but skipped a random PC change. I had 43-50 mapped and it initially went 46-53 then when I dragged the pitch down it was 43 - 51 as it missed 46 out. Odd behaviour definitely.ā€ - I had this same, and no 46ā€¦ Strange thing is that if you try to send low notes to get PC1 - 10 difference between sent note and PC is +1, not +3 as when I tried to get PC 43-50. I 've noticed that some notes do not match to whammy midi impementation, lets say I 've sent 45 and completely different interval has been turned on than it supposed to be.

I once did a remote control for a Whammy V and had exactly the same experience. The MIDI chart that I found online didnā€™t really match and I needed to find all commands by try and error.

Arenā€™t you using the same CV port for both sequencers?

good to know it is a problem of whammy not my lack of cpu, it was really frustrating.

I must check it, but the idea was to use separate cv port. I ve made a preset on a big seq and on a small one, they work quite nice. The preset on big seq is made on the whammy section, a preset on the small seq is made using drop section.

I believe it is. But what I donā€™t understand is why Digitech keeps providing the wrong MIDI implementation charts (as it looks like this happened both with the Whammy V and the Whammy DT)

Gotcha. Let us know if that is not the issue. Otherwise, there may really exist some sort of bug.

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s the Whammy but will re evaluate later tonight. For my problem itā€™s the change of cc to cv more than cv to PC.

1 Like

I find it really weird honestly. But when I tried this was actually with a MaxMSP patch sending MIDI messages into the Whammy V (not really any MOD Device in the chain at the time)

OK good point, I will check using my Nektar Pacer too as it can cycle through pcā€™s etc. Fill feedback hopefully later.

1 Like

OK Pacer reacts as expected with Whammy DT.

I also set up a Mindi with a knob assigned to PC and a momentary switch . Toggled as expected o. Both Whammy and Drop side.

Itā€™s only when you introduce MIDI to CV that the problems start, for me at least.

I checked all values sent by seq from 0 to 127 and then converted into CV and then controlled PC number of mindi. So, the problem is that when seq reach value 9 cv adds 1, that is why it is not possible to get dive bomb, because value 9 sent by seq is read as 10, so there is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 10. Next switch is when we reach value 26 - midi to CV adds 2, so it is not possible to get PC27 (5th off), another switch is at DROP 4th ON - seq value is 43 plus 3 (not plus 2) so it is not possible to get 4th interval, last switch is at DROP 4th Off - seq sends 60, mindi read 64 (not 63). So Midi to CV four times adds one number to recived value.

1 Like

To sum up - Midi to CV pluggin adds extra values to received MIDI CC or Note.

1 Like

Looks like itā€™s back to ableton and maybe bomes midi translator in-between?

Or maybe midifish as that does the same I think