MOD Duo Kickstarter Edition has problems with the 1.9.1 update

This should be exactly the other way around.

Could be … I am not close to my DUO at the moment.

I only wanted to suggest to try another subnet.

But, falkTX, you’re the man with hands on these things so if you think this will not help the OP’s issue, I apologize for my interruption …

I can’t access 192.168.51.1 or 192.168.50.1 with http or ping. Yet if I do “System->System upgrade” the Mod disk will mount on my PC (AVLinux 2020.5.10), so I know the USB connection works. I used this method to update to 1.9.2.1617.

do you get anything in dmesg when the device boots?
maybe it is just some network autoc-onfiguration that is not happening.

My connection problem has been traced to a bad USB plug which only works part of the time (old laptop). On a different USB plug (new laptop) I’m able to connect with http.

1 Like

@varpa Glad to hear that you managed to find the problem!

Just for reference, another issue sometimes is for laptops which the power management configuration will turn off the USB port too eagerly. This might cause the connection to behave erratically.

Typically this shouldn’t happen with the factory configuration but it’s possible to tweak the power management parameters and end up in a bad situation. So might help double checking that as well.

Some good news.

After getting my hands on one of these Duo units that did not want to use the new mainline kernel, now have a fix.
I just updated the tarball that contains the factory-reset script at https://wiki.moddevices.com/wiki/Troubleshooting_Reinstall_Duo#MOD_Duo_Factory_Reset
(note the v2 in the filename)

Then on top of it, as 2nd step, the full factory reset image is updated too, now being v1.9.2.1673.tar, as per

We will release a v1.9.3 update that contains this fix ASAP, we are just finalizing a few other details.

5 Likes

Yay! I can confirm the updated factory reset procedure works. My device is running 1.9.2 on kernel 5.4.38 now. Awesome job, @falkTX, thank you!

3 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation!

I just updated the nand-convert-image and livesuit links on the wiki (with today’s date in the filename, 20201028)
All methods confirmed to work on this unit that did not previously.

Awesome, thank you again for all the time and effort you’re putting in this!

Hi guys, I would like to update my MOD to the latest version. I have the Kickstarter version of MOD DUO. As I understand it on the forum, there were problems with updating the Nand or kernel, which would require a manual update that I never did, I don’t really understand about that. So, in case my system is out of date, I would like to update my system in a safe way. What should I do?

System:
Unit: MOD Duo
Build Date: 2020 Dec 02 17:25:52
OS Version: 1.9.3.1775

Kernel:
Machine: armv7l
Release: 3.4.104-rt139-modduo
Version: # 32 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Dec 2 17:23:36 UTC 2020

First you should backup your data to a usb stick, there are options for that on the advanced settings section of the web gui.
Done that, follow the steps in Troubleshooting Reinstall Duo - MOD Wiki

Basically you are going to do an update in 2 steps. 1st one to fully reset the nand flash to the new format, then install the regular factory image.
Do not stop half way through, as the first step fully wipes the nand flash.

1 Like

It worked, thank you.

2 Likes