MIDI controller ActitioN8 error -62

Hi! I was trying to use this ActitioN8 with Dwarf but I get this error via dmesg

[ 2742.198270] usb 2-1: new low-speed USB device number 8 using ohci-platform
[ 2743.165313] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=552d, idProduct=002a, bcdDevice= 0.01
[ 2743.165341] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 2743.167329] usb 2-1: can't set config #1, error -62
[ 2743.167930] usb 2-1: USB disconnect, device number 8

The controller works just fine with windows and MIDI-OX monitor.
Any advice?

1 Like

did you try a usb hub?
-110 is power related but seems something else

1 Like

Using errno command (from moreutils package) gives ETIME 62 Timer expired

1 Like

That is the only answer I can think of

1 Like

Tested the controller on my desktop PC running ubuntu live and midisnoop. It works. Maybe it’s a matter of insufficient power from Dwarf. I’ll try with a usb hub.

3 Likes

do you know which controller the footswitch uses? Is it arduino based?

1 Like

Don’t know, I was also thinking to mod it with a much capable DIY project. Maybe one day…

1 Like

seems like you would only need esp32 and a oled.
propably posted this 100th time but really recommend PedalinoMini

2 Likes

Pedalino is way too much for my needs :sweat_smile:

1 Like

ok - for me it was kind of the same effort. But the easiest would the arduino pro micro route.

3 Likes

Would be interesting to expand it with midi host feature. This is the only thing I miss at the moment to use it with other devices than Dwarf.

1 Like

why would you need it to be the host? This funtion is usally provided by the the device that outputs the audio.

1 Like

Well because some devices have no midi host capability :sob:

1 Like

do they have regular midi and you want to pass the messages to those? Can you give me an example of that device - just to understand what you want to do.

1 Like

Nux mg-30 has midi over usb type-C port but it has no midi host capability.
I think if I connect mg-30 to m-vave chocolate midi with a usb type-C to type-C cable it shouldn’t work because none of them has usb midi host feature (indeed you have to buy the bluetooth-usb dongle that has midi host capability: the dongle receives midi via bluetooth from midi chocolate and then sends midi via usb cable to nux).

1 Like

ah ok - I see. Think I build something similar for my thr5 a few years ago. I think arduino is still your best bet.

4 Likes

Nice! Is there any check I can do in order to obtain the chip type inside the controller without disassembling it?

1 Like

I would just unscrew the two screws on top and have a look but maybe

lsusb -v

gives more info.

3 Likes

Vendor is ActitioN so I didn’t resist…

The chip model should be ATMEGA6 or ATMEGA8

ATMEGA8-16AU 1403

4 Likes

looks really nice and clean. Its probably a barbones arduino (chip is the same) with a custom bootloader and without the usb interface (needed for easy programming with arduino ide)
Again your best bet would be to replace the board with an arduino and the USB HostBoard

4 Likes