Introducing the MOD Desktop - Beta release

In my case I’d like to work with existing wav files that others have created. I have the equipment necessary to record the samples, but not enough room to set everything up. Recording the samples looks to me like the most time intensive part of the process, and the only reason anyone would do this would be to create a model in the first place.

I would imagine that not many who have gone to the trouble of creating the wav file(s) would skip the step of creating the model.

If I’m right about that then there may not be a need for this approach.

I’m undoubtedly using the wrong terminology in much of what I write.

Currently I’m finding the myriad of tonal capabilities of Gian’s Fender models to be really fun to work with. I may not even get to the Marshalls.

1 Like

Not sure I 100% agree.

Every pedalboard is personal and has to sound exactly like I want with my style, my music and my guitar.

So, testing effects on a loop made by someone else playing a Strat, won’t sound the same when I plug my Yamaha in.

Better maybe spend some time personally recording a couple of riffs and licks and use them all over.

1 Like

Another tldr here:

Not sure who you’re replying to, but I essentially agree with you. I still believe that it’s useful (at least for me) to start with a rough idea of what I want to achieve and taking the individual contributions of others and adjusting them from there.

That’s what the mod team (and I include the entire community in this) has accomplished thus far and this is just the starting point. For my own purposes the duo, dwarf and footswitch extension have been extremely useful and flexibile - but just the starting point.

Having been away from the project for a bit while dealing with other issues I’ve come back to find another dimension (we “are traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind.”) to the project, more flexibility and more opportunities for achieving our individual goals in search of our ideal sound(s).

I’ve got a pretty steep learning curve here, but it’s going to be a fruitful one.

I don’t know if any of what I’m saying in this and my other posts make any sense or are relevant to our purpose, but I find this thread to be very inspirational.

There’s plenty of raw material here to fine tune individual components to our liking. I don’t know about anyone else but I’ve got ideas of what I want to achieve and hope I’m never fully satisfied with my efforts.

Credit to Rod Serling for the above quote.

Just tried out the app and it worked really well.

It would be nice to have more options for buffer sizes. I know 128 is the lowest you can reliably go on a dwarf, but on Windows I typically use 64.

It would also be nice if the app scanned the local LV2 path (typically “C:\Program Files\Common Files\LV2”) for plugins.

2 Likes

right yes, main issue is that plugins were never tested with 64, so the 128 is the default value.
I think if we have a little warning saying 64 samples is experimental, then all should be good. users will know to try 128 if any issue happens.

those plugins will all appear as “tuna can” pedals, which doesnt look very nice.
but thinking more about this, perhaps we can make this optional. so it is off by default, perhaps another little warning for this too (mostly to explain what it entails)

5 Likes

by the way, just noticed some serious regressions on the 0.0.2 release, issues regarding needing to connect things twice are related.

finally have a setup that is handy enough for quick development, so I was able to sort out a few crucial details. that also means a little more attention to the Linux build, since that is the main one used for development (MIDI confirmed working now, with a setup similar to a2jmidid)

more news on it soon.

10 Likes

Fixed all major issues that I could find on Windows, except pedalboard screenshots which is a bit more complex to handle and not mandatory for having everything work well so I am leaving that aside for now.

Also a little rework of the GUI, for more clearly outlining what is going on with duplex vs separate IO vs output only mode.
And because I hate looking at super bright windows all the time, a bit of integration with Windows dark mode too.

It is starting to behave like a real, professional tool.
Some of the panel/settings GUI options can be unclear if you dont know what they are meant to do, would tooltips be enough for those?

10 Likes

Hi falkTX, I’ve experienced the same connection issues with the wiring in the latest build from the github actions. I don’t know how to send you logs cause I don’t have anything really, it just needs a double, sometime triple rewiring, it occours from the last plugin to the output channel usually. Even on startup, when it loads the latest pedalboard used, sometimes I ear one channel only, left or right, and I have to rewire. Regarding the midi, I’ve opened an issue on github, because I was not able to switch the pedalboards or the snapshot in windows. In Linux the snapshots work fine, but the pedalboards do not switch. I’ve dove some fixes myself in the past to the mod-ui, declaring two new variabes for the midi channels, you can see the mods I’ve done on github @ raidolo/mod-ui (sorry can’t post links right now) The only issue I had was about the pedalboard name, that when I switch the pedalboard via midi, does not get updated and I need to refresh the page (I’ve opened an issue on mod-ui for this). If I don’t do that, when you press save, something weird happen. You save the pedalboard on the previous pedalboard basically. So it’s a bit buggy. I really like to help on this, but I’m not a seasoned developer and I had some difficult times understanding all the pieces and where to modify to make the midi work…

for the MIDI there is a PR open that I still need to review and merge, related to this. It seems indeed the pedalboard/snapshot changes dont always work as intended.

on the needing multiple connections, I really thought I had that fixed already… I wonder if due to renaming of the program files folder you are still running an older version.
I will add a version to the main window, so it is clear which version of mod-app is installed and running.

I’m esperiencing the wiring issue on Linux, where I just downloaded the new app. No previous versions. It’s the build #87 from the actions. I’ve seen you did some more builds but I don’t see any change, do they contains the changes you mentioned?
I’ll have a look at the PR regarding the switching with midi, thanks.

oh, I only saw it on windows which was weird, makes sense to happen more generally yes.

sadly that makes it seem like I need to forget about some of the optimizations in place there…
can you retry and check if the issue is gone on windows for you? there is a dedicated workaround in place for windows where I saw this happen, but not for other systems.

Which build in particular? Is it ok to use #92? Oh another thing… to test the Midi would be useful to insert the Midi Display plugin in the build, It should work on Linux, not sure on Windows. Is there any fastest way to communicate with the team or participate actively? Discord perhaps?

you are communicating with the team :wink:

forums and github issues is the way to go, specially on github to track each individual issue separately.

on which build to use, just grab whatever was the last successful one.
I am putting in place automatic validation of plugins, to ensure we can at least load them without crashes. so there will be a few build failures until that is fully resolved.

1 Like

I’ve done some tests on the Windows version, the audio connection seems consistent with the wiring. I’ve restarted the services multiple times and it never failed. The build is build #92: Commit [fa65bc6]. I don’t know if you changed something regarding midi, but now I’m able to switch the snapshots at least. I’ve noticed another thing, when I start the gui, it loads the snapshot the has been selected while saving the pedalboard. It’s ok, but all the plugins selection, for instance the NAM model, the IR in the IR loader, are empty. Then, if I load manually the snapshot again, they appear. It’s only cosmetic because the sounds match what’s contained in the snap.

1 Like

Regarding the Linux version, same build as Windows Commit [fa65bc6], I have sound and channels inconsistency and I have to redo the wiring. The weird thing is that the Jack Graph is correct, the last plugin is stereo wired to the mod-monitor. Then I detach the not functioning cable, I see the missing connection in the graph, then I reconnect it back and at that moment I have full stereo out.

1 Like

This is one of the quirks of windows vs posix paths, “\” vs “/”
Also windows not supporting symlinks, which LV2 kinda relies on to keep track of things proper.
It is very likely that on Windows we need to skip the whole “leave a link on pedalboard for easy sharing of files” thing, and always reference the original files instead…

Thanks for the windows vs linux testing, it confirms my suspicion of what is going on.
It is not nice, but at least I should be able to put up a workaround for that soon.

Still trying to get the plugins all validated and running. the neuralrecord was hopefully the last one, we got a nice collection now with the latest builds.

5 Likes

The GUI is getting a little more tweaks, now hiding away all the advanced stuff.

and with everything open

and then the logs too

With the exception of screcord, all plugins are building and passing a quick automated self-test.

Will do a bit more cleanup after the latest changes, then prepare for a release. Have a big event coming up (anyone going for the Ubuntu Summit in Latvia too?) so new release likely only next week.

14 Likes

Just wanted to share my experiences with the App:

First of all: it is really great!! I found myself quite often just plugging in my Guitar directly into my interface and using the Mod App instead of using my physical pedalboard with the dwarf, which is also directly connected to my audio interface. Especially using the AIDA-X models I surprisingly experienced a quite noticeable improvement of sound quality using directly my interface with the MOD App. I have to investigate a little more, but it’s maybe because of some “tone-sucking” pedals on my pedalboard, which alternate the sound quality quite hearable. Or could this be due to different A/D converters used in the dwarf and my interface? (Im definetly not an expert in this topic)

I also would appreciate some kind of easy DAW-integration of the Mod App. I tried to use it as an input for Ableton, but I haven’t managed it yet. How did you do this exactly @suitsus? Did you use ASIO drivers?

I’m really looking forward to the next build with more plugins. Thanks a lot @falkTX for developing this app!

3 Likes

I used the routing matrix in my audio interface, an iConnectivity iConnect AUDIO 4+.

I feel silly, is there something I’m missing? I’d like to try other amp sims but I don’t see how to select them. The AIDA-X panel shows “C:\Program Files\MOD App\plugins\rt-neural-generic.lv2\models\deer ink studios\tw40_california_clean_deerinkstudios.json”

and that directory shows several more, such as:
tw40_blues_deluxe_deerinkstudios.json
tw40_blues_solo_deerinkstudios.json
tw40_british_lead_deerinkstudios.json
tw40_british_rhythm_deerinkstudios.json
tw40_california_crunch_deerinkstudios.json

but how do I load one of them? Thanks!