Introducing the MOD Desktop - Beta release

very cool.

When is the swap feature coming to the DWARF? @falkTX

5 Likes

plan was for getting it in v1.14, so yes?

9 Likes

This is amazing. If one were to run this on a desktop that has better specs than a current MOD hardware device, would one be able to do things like run more instances of AIDA-X, or run non-nano NAM models, or just generally run more complicated pedalboards? And will MIDI be able to interface with it so that one can change effects/snapshots on the fly while recording?

4 Likes

+1 for the linux version

5 Likes

It is nearly trivial to run the MOD stack on Linux, though. Using GitHub - moddevices/mod-panel: Simple Control Panel to Start MOD UI and SDK Services to start all the necessary services and such.

6 Likes

it should be added on th wiki?

3 Likes

Really interesting. But I cannot see any audio input ports - how are you able to play a guitar through it?

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, you’ll need an audio device/interface with appropriate connections.

But wouldnt the ordinary windows audio system - as in
work? Shouldnt “mic” ( or “Realtek High Definition Audio”) be an audio input?

1 Like

Also, on mine, I cant see the file upload option on the bottom tray

Just the “constructor” and the “pedalboard” list (so I cant upload a file to appear in the audio file player)

1 Like

there is no need for the file uploader because the files are local, use the systray or the panel gui to easily open the user-files directory.
you can simple copy files there with windows explorer.

regarding missing inputs, can happen if the tool is unable to match inputs with outputs, sometimes tricky on Windows…
for best results use an ASIO driver option, we had good results with ASIO4ALL.

2 Likes

Thanks
For anyone else having trouble with that -there is “open user files” by right clicking on the mod icon in the systray

This is great! Do you think is it possible to use a sound card with other sample rates like 44100Hz?

I believe that is possible, but not advisable.

The plugins in the platform all run at 48kHz and 128/256 sample buffers. We want to be more flexible on that, of course, but for the time being we’re avoiding any sort of aditional effort.

1 Like

Yes I understand 48kHz is better, I just have this old sound card… but I don’t know how to change the app to 44100, otherwise it crashes

Fantastic lateral thinking. Really hope it’s a gamechanger for you.

[edit: I’ve just spent the last hour playing with IR’s of acoustic guitar bodies on the Cabinet Loader with my chapman stick effectively giving it a virtual acoustic body. This is something I’ve been thinking of doing for months, but having it all on my PC like this has made it so quick and easy to download new models and test them on my PC before downloading to my Dwarf. It’s wonderful - such a delightful new workflow - thanks!]

7 Likes

Well for Linux there are plenty of options… I’ve built the Mod-UI for x86_64 cpus and I made it available as a docker container. It contains mod-host, mod-ui, browserpy, mod-midi-merger and it also supports switching pedalboards using midi Program Change Commands (I had to fix mod-ui for that). It has all the mod-plugins-builder lv2 plugins, over 1100 currently. You just have to run jack at host level and then run the script following the documentation. I can’t post links currently but it’s on github… /raidolo/mod-docker

7 Likes

This is fantastic. One of the major reasons why I picked Line 6 offering over all the other guitar modellers, is that they are the only company confident, and customer-friendly enough to make their modelling solution available in the VST format.

I gave this a go, and it works fairly well for such an early version. A VST with more plugins available/shop integration would be amazing. Even though I don’t own a Dwarf, I’ll definitely be following the evolution of the MOD App for desktop.

The macOS build is ready! Release binaries at Release 0.0.2 · moddevices/mod-app · GitHub

Has the same plugins as the Windows version, except the audio and midi file player, that crash on load so we did not add them just yet.
Contrary to the Windows build though MIDI appears to work ok on macOS, but we did not test extensively.

For now neither of macOS or Windows builds are signed, particularly painful on macOS as it needs the user to allow the app to run via right-click twice.
Later on we will make sure to have the app bundle signed, hopefully it is not too incovenient for now.

6 Likes

Great news, thank you.

I just downloaded it and wanted to test with sound from Ableton. Should it appear as an audio device that sounds can be sent to and from or does it only work through an audio interface at the moment?