Hi! Come Introduce Yourself!

Greetings!
My name is Hristo and I am a long time guitar player and overall musician hobbyist. I love music and music gear and at times I find it difficult to tell which one I love more lol

I recently got a Mod Dwarf after searching for a new pedal to replace my beloved Digitech rp1000 (yes, im old lol). I reviewed a number of multyfx pedals and amost got the line6 helix one when I stumbled on a Mod Dwarf reference in a forum somewhere. I did like the helix but im weary of buying gear that is used by millions. Im always searching for that something different and special and I found it.

The Mod Dwarf is absolutely awesome! It fits my setup perfectly and alows me to unload a lot of processing power from my PC while recording latency free using direct monitoring. I use the MD as either a pedal, a looper or a complete chain and the possibilities are limitless. Im sure that there are even more uses for it to discover with time.

I ran into a little problem at first and Iā€™ll briefly describe it and the solution in case someone else experiences it:
For me itā€™s very importand to record a dry signal whenever possible. It is source-level information impossible to obtain after the fact. So i split the input of my guitar using a powered pedal and ran one line in the MD and the other in my audio interface inst input. Then I ran the outputs of MD into the interface line ins. (I use a UA Volt 4 interface. Plug in dry guitar in input 1 and MD outs in 3and4 line inputs). As soon as I connected the dry input split into the interface, I experienced a high pitch noise on MD track. It wasnt very loud but it was present enough to be noticed and unsuitable for recording. I tried different cables, mixer power supply and anything else i could but it was still present. I almost gave up when i stumbled on the fix. I unplugged the USB cable connected to the computer and the noise went away completely. I was very happy but i still wanted to have access to the GUI so i plugged the MD into an older laptop I have and the noise didnā€™t come back. So now i use my laptop as a MD controller while recording noise-free on my main PC and get both MD goodness and dry signaw straight into the daw (Bitwig Studio).

Hope this helps someone.

Thatā€™s it for now. Iā€™ll probably post some boards
I create in the future as I get my bearings with the MD untill then im having fun with the ones i find available here. Thanks!

10 Likes

For me too!I`m waiting for mine!Cheers!!

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip ā€“ thatā€™s really interesting that the USB cable would add that high pitched squealā€¦ I wonder if a cable with ferrite beads would help the situation out at all? Something like this: https://a.co/d/e12OjNu ?

2 Likes

I actually just received a big box of snap on ferrite beads for 13 bucks from amazon. I had not considered adding 2 beads per cable, but will be doing so now haha

It sounds like you had a USB ground loop. I ended up replacing my PSU for a groundless one and that rectified the majority of my issues.

1 Like

Hi at all and special tks for add mi in this community !!!

6 Likes

I recently discovered the Mod dwar and Iā€™m very interested in this fantastic pedal that I will buy it soon ā€¦ and Iā€™m informing myself ā€¦ Thank you for having accepted me.

7 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m a guitarist, singer, bassist, arranger, self-producer, composer. I make rock, folk and electronic music. I live in Central Europe in the Czech Republic in the city of Prague. Iā€™ve started using AIDA X. Iā€™m still familiarizing myself with it. :crazy_face:

10 Likes

Hey @Krill and @topavelka!

Welcome to the MOD community!

@Krill, have a look around the forums and get a feel for the place! I highly recommend the Dwarf for its flexibility and build quality. I definitely recommend perusing some of the setup sharing threads. @SamIAm has one of the cleanest/minimal boards I have seen, and that is thanks to the dwarf.

@topavelka You have quite the musical background! I am glad to hear you are getting along well with the Dwarf! Feel free to share anything you create with your MOD Device with us!

Welcome!

Hello I have live in Rome and I have played the guitar for some time and played with different bands ā€¦ about the effects I recently passed from the Kemper to the boss GT1000 (and it goes great) but as we guitarists probably know we never know satisfied ā€¦

Krill !!!

3 Likes

Hey,

Iā€™m Joe the UK and play bass. Iā€™m a Mod Dwarf tourist, I havenā€™t yet settled on getting one but very intrigued.

Currently I run a coupld of preamps (Jad Freer Capo and EAE Model FeT) and a couple of drives (EAE Longsword and Halberd) and looking for a digital solution to experiment.

I previously had the GT1000core, loved how easy it was to integrate external pedals with itā€™s 2 FX loops but found some of the onboard effects a little dull, I really want to play around with crazy routing and interesting delays etc. A perfect unit for me would be the GT1000core I/O but the brains of a Mod Dwarf inside, maybe one day :joy:

Gonna keep looking around the forums for a bit and hopefully decide. If anyone has some cool clanky noise rock or ambient guitar/bass tones itā€™d be awesome to hear from you!

Joe

7 Likes

Ciao K, i am in Rome too :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Kopplog,
I have a MOD Dwarf and a MOD DUO and both work well with my chapman stick (I tend to have the DUO at home ready for practicing and the Dwarf in my bag ready for gigging!).

Theyā€™re both great for the stick as the two inputs are completely independent (unless you donā€™t want them to be!) so you can treat the bass and melody sides entirely separately, or merge them together to get more of a ā€œone continuous instrumentā€ feel from the stick. I generally have a setup with an independent chain for each side and then merge at the reverb and final gain stage. Happy to share my pedalboard if youā€™re interested.

Iā€™ve used an auto-wah on the bass side with no problem - you just have to set-up the sensitivity carefully as you can get a lot of dynamic range depending on how hard you hit those thick strings (you might want to compress it first)!

Anyway thereā€™s some thoughts to start - happy to talk more if I can be of help.

Ian

5 Likes

Hi, My name is Bernard aka Bassie iā€™m a bass player, (Rock 90ā€™s and also Caribbean music, I blend in both sytles). Iā€™m living in The Netherlands. Iā€™m actually using a VoX Stopmlab 2B but I want something else. I came across articles on the MoD Dwarf, which is very interresting.

My questiond is, Is the MoD Dwarf a compact Muti-Effects for Bass Players?

Please Bass Playes clear me up on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards form The Netherlands

Bassie

4 Likes

Hi Bassie, I play bass and find the Dwarf excellent (Tho low note tracking for octavers etc is no better than other f/x units).
Sā€™manth x

2 Likes

Iā€™m also a bassist and Iā€™ve used the Dwarf on several gigs, using everything from chorus and reverb to distortions and fuzzes, to octave up effects to sub in for our non-existent 2nd guitarist on songs that have two-guitar intros, to amp sims when I want to leave the preamps and amps behind to even playing background effects like thunderstorms for certain songs. Itā€™s great for bass and getting better!

5 Likes

@SamIAm @RashDecisionAudio I am a manolinist and a guitar player. But I bought a bass last week and started with this instrument now as well. I know that guitarists are usually the worst bass players, but Iā€™m trying to get behind the philosophy of playing bass and actually learning bass and not playing guitar on bass. I have a question: Can you recommend a couple of pedalboards for good bass sounds?

2 Likes

@Kim I wish I could but I personally havenā€™t even tried the boards that are pre-packaged on the Dwarf; Iā€™ve only been building my own boards from components.

Hi, Alice here from UK but based in Italy.

Iā€™ve been using the Duo X for 3 years now, mostly for electronica music. I also sing and play the bass. Glad to see other bass players here.

Iā€™ve read the forum closely for years now, followed the tragic events of last August and was happy that Mod managed to turn around, but at the same time the state of affairs with the Duo X makes me really sad. Iā€™ve been contemplating switching to a Dwarf but still feel like Mod should come through and make up for our investment in that product. So I decided to finally join the forum and make ourselves heard. In the past I connected to other Mod X users in northern Italy, some of whom were very knowledgeable and hardcore users, but that group is now reduced to only 3, myself included, down from 8 initially.

Thanks for accepting me.

8 Likes

Hi, Alice!

Welcome to the forum (officially), Iā€™m glad to hear you have been following the Journey of MOD during this difficult time period. Knowledge is power.

I am also an MDX owner, and due to the same concerns you have, it got boxed back up and listed to sell.

I am 100% behind you on the MDX frustrations, but at this current time, MOD is stretched really thin for resources.

I believe that MOD will come back to the MDX once the dwarf helps them recover a bit, and the unit will continue to get the updated firmware for quite some time, but feature parity will lack for a while.

I am hoping that once MOD gets back into a healthy position, they will be able to focus on either creating a synth oriented MDX (rather than guitarist), or have a secondary team to focus the development more. Right now, our best shot is to ā€œwait and seeā€, but you are not alone in your feelings about the MDX on this forum.

We will fight the good fight. In my personal situation, I installed the dwarf into my studio, and work with it as that is where the majority of the support will be focused for the near future; as well as the fact that the majority of MOD users will be dwarf users. The lack of CPU compared to the MDX is a limitation for sure, but I am at least able to share some of my boards with everyone now lol

That is not a solution for most people, as I already had both units before the situation with MOD occurred.

I appreciate you raising your voice about it, it will add weight to the other voices here.

Hope all is well with you, and yours!

4 Likes

Welcome, fellow bass player!

4 Likes