Hi! Come Introduce Yourself!

Hi everyone!
I’m new here :slight_smile:
Got the OG Mod Duo kinda by sheer luck and stumbled into exactly the type of effects I’m into.
I gotta be honest though, I’m VERY much inexperienced when it comes to coding.
I know my synths, mod matrixes, patching and that kind of stuff, so I’m not someone strictly playing guitar going in blind, but I’m a full-time dad and music therapist that wont have time to learn coding in the near future, so forgive me in advance for my ignorant questions and requests in advance xD

I’m already enjoying the Mod Duo (will probably have to upgrade to an X or Dwarf somewhere in the future) its quite an intuitive interface (eventhough I dont find it as visually appealing as I think it could be) and it’s fun to use :smiley:

I have a few things that I’m having trouble creating/understanding that I was hoping some of y’all might be able to help me with?

1. Cardinal = how to get it to work and whats the difference with the mini version
  2. Pitch Shifter with FORMANT SHIFTING = I own an SP404 with the voicetransFX (and multiple VSTs like Graillon or LittleAlterBoy) and I LOVE to use my guitar through it but can’t exactly stick it on my pedalboard. Anyone know of an effect that does this? So not a formant filter but shifter.
  3. Sample+Hold and/or random LFO with SMOOTHING function: been experimenting with the LFO but not able to get it to do a random sine.
  4. Reverse Delay = maybe I missed it but?
  5. Granular & “Glitch” effects = I was hoping to find more of these kinds of effects, am I missing something?
  6. Other forums? = are people also active on Reddit/Facebook/Elsewhere?
  7. Dexed presets = I’ve been using Dexed for years and have made quite a few of my own presets, is it possible to get those to work within my Mod Duo?
  8. Surge XT and/or Vital Synth = Is it possible to run these VSTs?
  9. Tal plugins = Same thing with the free TAL plugins?

Besides the bombardment of questions, I wanted to know how people here feel about feedback/criticism/plugin requests, from a nonqualified user?
I understand that its not very enticing to support or even listen to someone who has zero authority and despite that is seemingly demanding the world but I honestly always have the best intentions in mind and am always very open to criticism myself.
In fact I have quite some feedback I’d like to give on Mod Devices’ marketing etc BUT am also willing to do video demonstrations of pedalboards/fx chains for example :smiley:

I love these kinds of communities and always support the DIY/open-source folk as much as I can, so if theres anything I can do within my capacity to support the cause!!

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully speak soon!!

PS: heres some cool projects to maybe port over?
nih-plugin suite
iem-granularencoder
bertomaudio denoiser
airwindows vsts
sitala drumsampler
TheGreatEscape envelope controlled tremolo
destroyFX plugin suite
etcetc

2 Likes

Welcome! I don’t have all the answers, but here are a few:

1 Like

Hi Forum,
Great to be here. I just starting out with Mod (Dwarf), using it mainly for bass but I also hope for CV and some basic synth applications too. Mainly live work.
I need a little time to orientate and develop my understanding of things, appreciate any hints or tips that you’ve got though folks!
x

6 Likes

Hiya @andybassdoyle , welcome to MOD forum from (as you know) another BC bass player :slight_smile:
S’manth x

hi, I’m Hannes.
playing Bass, guitar, keys.
Mainly looking to clean up my board and have a versatile FX unit for all af my projects. currently trying to use the dwarf in a live setup with bass and keys. should replace a sp404(keys) and a M9(bass).
i’m controlimg it with a nectar pacer

but as far as i can tell you now, maybe i get a second dwarf

7 Likes

Hi there,I am one of the proud Founder Edition Backers.
I play electric, acoustic and bass guitars. And on top of that i’m a singer.
Bit by bit the Dwarf has to replace my other gear. I love the small scale of the device.
My dream is…walking only one time to the car when I play a gig. Haha!
The possibilties are so huge it overwhelms me now and then.

Musically I recently finished my project “Songs of my life”.
This is recorded without the dwarf.

Hope to learn and have fun on this forum!

7 Likes

I am using the Dwarf exactly as you are planning to use it: I am playing mandoline, guitar and I am a singer as well. My whole gear fits in a double guitar-bag, the Dwarf included. I am playing my instruments by using chanel A and parallely sing through the Dwarf in chanel B. Both chanels with a bunch of effects, even Aida and remastering. This works perfect! One device for all my needs, singing included.

2 Likes

How do you amplify the microphone signal? Do you have an external solution to give the signal a boost? Or did you solve this within the dwarf?

Welcome @Gijsbreght_van_Doorn

You do it directly on the Dwarf, by adjusting the input gain: Dwarf Device Settings - MOD Wiki

1 Like

If increasing gain doesn’t work due to lifting the noise floor, my recommendation for the microphone is using an XLR to TRS Lo-Z to Hi-Z transformer.

I use one for my dynamic mic input into my MDX for when I record videos using MOD products.

1 Like

That’s helpfull! Thank you.
The settings for audio input…are they caught in the pedalboard?
Or is this an overall setting?

Hi @Gijsbreght_van_Doorn
Yes, as @gianfranco wrote I manage this directly in the Dwarf. I have no noise problem with that.

1 Like

So I have to send patches to the MOD plugin and I can’t edit them in the GUI??

What do you mean by this?

I’m not sure if you knew but Surge XT and Vital both run on Linux. So I’m pretty sure they’d run on Mod Devices

Yes I know :wink:

Thanks for the feedback anyway :smiley:

I do believe that’s correct :slight_smile:

Just a general warning that beta plugins have not been tested or vetted in any meaningful way, and often don’t have a nice UI.

There has been some brief discussion on this Apparently, there has been some effort to build SurgeXT as an LV2 plugin, but there are some unspecified issues that prevent it from working as expected. Unless a plugin can be built as an LV2 plugin, it won’t work on a MOD unit until support for other plugin formats (VST, CLAP, etc.) is added.

It is possible to use Surge XT as modules with the Cardinal plugins. Best to start off with Cardinal mini and learn by experimenting, before moving on to Cardinal. Unless you have some experience with VCV rack or Eurorack modular. It’s a huge universe of possibilities and learning. Good luck!

1 Like

Hi, my name is Taco. I’m totally new here, and totally ignorant about everything with my Mod Dwarf (or everything related to music/sounds on a computer). I received my unit some time ago, but haven’t been able to try/configure/use it. I started to read the Wiki docs and will give it a first try this weekend. My initial goal is to use it for effects in the FX Loop of my amp … I hope not to tricky … Simple Chorus, Delay and Reverb actionable as a “Scene” or with the 3 footswitches as on/off for each effect … Possible ?
Looking forward to discover more and contribute wherever I can.
I wish you a nice evening and weekend, Taco

9 Likes

Welcome @Taco1963 ! I think you’ll find the Dwarf will more than meet your needs. I actually use mine as both “in front of the amp” and in the FX loop, since each input/output is an independent audio channel. As far as the 3 footswitches, the leftmost is not generally assignable to a function, as it is used to navigate the current pedalboard. It will make more sense once you dive into it this weekend. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m a guitarist and mod dwarf enthusiast.
Hope to gain some knowledge and tricks here to play with my mod.

8 Likes

Welcome in @Sharkalash :slight_smile: feel free to ask anything

Correction! With the latest version of Cardinal mini, you can indeed create patches via the MOD UI. Mini has a somewhat smaller selection of modules, but appears to be quite usable. I believe the plugin requires a browser that supports Web Assembly. I’ve got it working in Firefox.

2 Likes