Hi! Come Introduce Yourself!

Hi everyone,
I’m one of the patient Kickstarter backers, still waiting for my dwarf. I joined the forum now after occaisonally reading bits and pieces here before.
Yesterday I tested the mod-live-usb for the first time and would love to find out what it’s capable of. I have questions :grin:

Cheers!

9 Likes

Hi all from Spain,
Being part of the forum for a while and Kickstarter backer, I finally got my Dwarf and started using it a couple of days ago.
I play guitar and do home recording, now and then, aiming to use the Dwarf as recording tool, playing with some IRs and being creative around it.
Cheers!

10 Likes

Hi everyobdy!
I’m a Kickstarter backer from southwest Germany and a big fan of open source. I don’t get to make as much stuff as I’d like to, but here are some things I’d like to try with my dwarf:

• Song specific pedalboards / presets: Make learning new songs a little more exciting
  • Go-to Guitar + Ukulele + Keys pedalboard for my (more or less comedic) acoustic duo
  • Learn about sound and sounddesign without having to buy a gazillion physical things
  • Replace my acoustic drumkit (too loud) with Dwarf + Midicontroller
  • Some home recording
  • See what the Dwarf can do e.g. for making the sound in an live audio play or Foley art

Cheers!

10 Likes

Welcom Schakal! Nice to have you in the forum. Please share your results here in the forum. The guys here are curious. :smiley:

5 Likes

Hi All!
I’m S’manth, I’m based on the south coast of England and play bass guitar and ukulele for fun.
I’ve experimented with the MOD OSS ecosystem on a pi+hifiberry self build fx unit (Both MODEP and a custom self build) but was fortunate to come across a nearly new MOD Dwarf at a price I just could not refuse … so I will be joining the ‘owners club’ when I collect it on Saturday.
Before retraining as an ICU nurse, I worked in IT and still love to geek out, so as well as using the Dwarf to ‘get my groove on’ I hope to fiddle with some stuff, like adding a self build midi control pedal (I would like to have more footswitches), try to get it setup to run off a battery (I play in an acoustic band and noone else needs mains power to perform) and even try my hand at writing a plugin or two.
S’manth x

14 Likes

Welcome, @SamIAm! Hope you have fun with your Dwarf.

I too used MODEP on RPi and PiSound before acquiring my Mod, and the difference is huge. You’ll see.

Re external power: some have tried and shared their experiences here and here.

(I strongly advise against using stepped sinewave inverters. You may check this thread for your reference.)

6 Likes

Hi Smanth! Welcome to the forum.

5 Likes

Hello, I have a new dwarf which I love, I am a classical guitar player mostly and I enjoy improvising and experimenting with electronic landscape music. I’ve been playing around with it creating pedalboards and recently experimenting looping with LP3. I also have a Godin guitar with synth output that I will be testing out later via Roland synth pedal to the midi in of the dwarf.

Eduardo

13 Likes

Welcome to the forum. @eduardo.guitar. There are a few midi guitar players here, like the very Mod Father Gianfranco.

If your Roland module has proper subsonic filtering, you should get decent results with the Dwarf. Have in mind that not all synths interpret 6 pitch bend messages simultaneously, so you might need to output midi through a single channel.

6 Likes

Hi, I’m Laurent, based on the south of France.

I just received my mod dwarf with the voucher offer. Already spent a few hours discovering the beast, this seems to be a very creative tool, not the usual multi-effects you would expect from other products, and this is what I’ll use for.
I’m a bass player but todays I spend most of my time composing. I like jazz and experimental music, so the mod dwarf will be useful for new sound design!

My early start with the mod dwarf was not really positive since I had to fight with the background noise issue (partially resolved with a DI, a noise gate and the ground loop option in the mod dwarf system menu) as I currently uses it only in my homestudio.
Also I didn’t receive the Overtone plugins and the 2 vouchers but I received my unit less than 24 hours ago, so I guess I have to wait a little more :slight_smile:
But to mitigate this comment, I find the web gui to be very intuitive, and I’m really excited for what I’ll be able to do with the unit!

As a side question, for those who selected the voucher option, did you receive your vouchers immediatly, and did the unit have the four Overtone plugins activated?

Have a great day!
Laurent

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Laurent! (@gside).

My understanding is that vouchers are being processed/issued manually, so the same team quality checking the Mod units to ship them out then has to go to the computer and do that. I’d think a few days are needed before you get yours. If it takes too long, you should write to support@mod.audio

Oh yes, that’s one area where it will shine. Think of your audio signal being split in 4 then each one running through a different set of effects, then they all get mixed down and you can control the knobs/sliders of that mixer on the fly, including have a single rotary encoder move multiple knobs in different directions at the same time.

Now, try to do that with hardware: if each line had only 2 effects, we’re talking 10 pieces of hardware and 20 patch cables. Plus some external controller.

Yet, you can do that inside of Mod easily.

Here’s a very simple example from user @LorisDonatelli (it’s for guitar, but just so you get an idea):

(There’s no mixer in the end, but you can add one and use whatever amount of each line you want. Which is what I do.)

Good luck with your exploration!

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Mod Audio UG.

4 Likes

hello there,

this is m. of /'angstalt/. we have a nice little studio in our rehearsal space, running with ubuntu studio, and i have finally replaced my behringer v-amp pro with a MOD dwarf. i already love it, and i’m beginning to develop a few feature requests :wink:

you can also call me m.eik. apart from my band, i’m also involved in C3S.cc, aiming to become a music collecting society with full support for Creative Commons licenses, and RKWard, a GUI/IDE for R.

8 Likes

Welcome @gside and @m.useon.

@gside, @QuestionMarc is somehow right when he says that the same people that check if the unit is fine and ship it sends the codes. Not exactly the same at the moment, but it may take us a bit. Anyway, I believe that you already received it and for your descriptions, I believe that e are in contact over email.
Let us know if we can help with anything and keep enjoying your Dwarf. Ah! And feel free to share some of your music :wink:

@m.useon that’s quite interesting. It would be cool if you share your experience moving from one piece of gear to the other.

2 Likes

@jon Yes, I did receive the voucher codes within 48 hours. I was waiting for the Overtone plugins before posting an update here. And I confirm that we now are in contact for these plugins and the ground loop issue, partially resolved at this time.

Edit: Ground loop resolved with the use of a cheap-but-effective Behringer HD400 “hum destroyer”, plus the DI / balanced cable to my audio interface!

5 Likes

Perfect!
I’m glad that you solved the noise issue (although not really happy that you had it the first time).
Regarding the rest, let’s solve it on our email conversation

2 Likes

i’d be glad to share my thoughts. could you grand me permissions to post new topics?

2 Likes

Welcome to the MOD Forum @m.useon :slight_smile:

Probably someone was just faster than me, but I believe that you already have permission to create new threads. Can you confirm?

1 Like

yes, i’ve started my first thread already :slight_smile: thank you!

2 Likes

Hi all, I go by Coffee Table Workshop. I am using a MOD Dwarf as a customizable pedalboard for both a bass guitar and synthesizers. I really love its flexibility for different instruments and genres!

5 Likes

Hi Laurent, I also had a lot of noise when I use the MOD Dwarf before my bass amp. I have not figured out a good way to get them to work together unless I turn the amp gain almost all the way down. If I decide to make the Dwarf part of my live setup, I’ll plan on getting a noise gate.

2 Likes