Guitar Amps As Layers of Abstraction - How To Improve MOD User Experience For Guitar Players

Oh, I just haven’t found all the tools to support me on my musical journey yet :slight_smile: That was the part I was referencing.

Yes, the sound is indeed subjective, and it’s not like MOD sounds terrible. I’ve also mentioned that I’m not a cork sniffing tone monster, I’m just an n=1 guitar player who thinks Dwarf currently offers a sub-par experience for someone who’s primarily a guitar player. It’s as simple as that. However, given the fact that this topic seems to resonate with many other MOD users, I’m probably not alone in that assessment.

2 Likes

In some form yes for sure!

I think that’s the crux of it. In the studio, if you already have a Computer, DAW and interface, it makes a lot of sense just to plug straight in rather than going through 2 sets of ADC. The MOD device’s strength is in making plugins available without the computer and interface. Although I would like to better integrate with PC in the future for seamless transition between producing and performing.

And of course I hope that we can make the workflow of getting a good tone much faster and easier too

4 Likes

For those following this thread, please check the recent announcement by @falkTX at the Plugin Store Update List thread:

8 Likes

Please note we have other plugins coming for IR stuff.
The cabsim loader is something we made, but for more general purpose IR handling we are investigating a few possible solutions. Early tests are very promising.

9 Likes

Great stuff. This is actually huge.

With proper IR support, I can now actually recommend Dwarf to fellow guitar players. Not to all of them (those looking for a more streamlined experience and something modeling familiar gear would be better off going with a guitar-centric multi-fx), but certainly to those that would be fine with a somewhat random and a bit eclectic set of plugins, in exchange for more power and flexibility. Whereas before I wouldn’t recommend Dwarf to any guitar players I know.

There’s a lot of snake oil and “bro I swear I can hear the difference!” in the guitar world, but the difference in IR quality based on length is something that, to a certain extent, can be perceived by most folks with ears (which this video by Pete Thorn proved fairly well: GUITAR CABINET IR'S - How long should they be to SOUND GREAT? - YouTube).

The amp selection is still a major issue in my eyes but I’m glad you’ve made this crucial improvement. Good job!

7 Likes

What does this 42.7 milliseconds mean? real-time sound wise it is a lot, as one-time loading this is peanuts.

That is the maximum size of the impulse response file it accepts.
It is automatically truncated if bigger than 2048 sample points.

5 Likes

This refers to the supported length of the IR file which up until now was a subpar 2.6 milliseconds. So the Dwarf barely offered IR support (given that the degradation in IR quality is pretty obvious below around 10 milliseconds).

With this update, Dwarf finally has proper IR support.

6 Likes

Out of curiosity @brummer. Did this ever happen? Did anyone from the MOD team reach out to you? I’m asking because this topic seems to be dead, other than the info about proper IR support which was likely in the pipeline regardless of it.

I’m not a MOD user anymore but I’d still like to see it succeed and become a lot more popular. It would likely be very good for the market, from the consumer’s perspective, That’s largely up to the marketing of course, and it may be that MOD can’t really compete in that department with other companies, but word of mouth could go a long way and I feel like MOD - despite its potential - has a few too many big shortcomings (the most glaring ones being the general polish, eclectic, random and sometimes redundant set of effects and lacking amp sim department) for it to take effect.

Brummer has been pretty involved in a discussion over in another thread called Plugin Artwork?

Brummer, some of the community members and myself have been discussing concepts for his new plugin the Fat Frog, as well as ideas for GUIs in general

@Matt
Well, I’m in a continuous contact with the MOD stuff, we’ve a slack channel were we talk about how to proceed. Still, I’m not part of the MOD team, but I’m participate since the first quadra was announced.
However, for me it is fun, not my job, so, it have to stay often behind things I’ve to do to generate my income for my life. (I’m a freelancer). So, to make it short, yes, there is progress, but, not as fast as it could be when the company will be bigger and have more income than it needs.

8 Likes