Freezing & Loading Pedalboards incorrectly

Since last week I am having an issue with my Dwarf.

Often I load a pedalboard and it does not load correctly. This is after everything does load correctly. It’s totally random. For example, the button to start recording isn’t there. After that it freezes when trying to load anything else. This isn’t just one pedalboard, it’s totally random. I am on the latest release.

Has anyone else seen this or have any suggestions?

2 Likes

Are you using beta plugins? I have seen some “calf” brand ones where their CSS messes up with the main web gui.

1 Like

No. That would be too easy.

2 Likes

Same if I browse too fast between pedalboards using the footswitch on the unit. Now I switch pedalboards using the knob, and I wait a few seconds for them to be fully loaded before doing anything.
Last time I got this erratic behaviour was with the web gui though: i tried several times to remove au mod pitch shifting plugin, and got error messages (“can’t remove”), and then the control panel started glitching until the unit frozen…
My advice : don’t do too much things and don’t go too fast…

2 Likes

I always switch using the knobs. And always wait until the new patch shows on the screen, which usually takes a few seconds.

2 Likes

Same here, the Dwarf is my main tool on stage since 1 year, after having experienced this fragility several times, my modus is the same: don’t go too fast otherwise you have to restart the whole system which can be quite embarrassing…

1 Like

So far, taking it very slow is going ok.

1 Like

I have the same problem in standalone mode during our rehearsals… I change the pedalboard, the output stays quiet and i have to restart the dwarf. I have quite cpu intensive pedalboards, probably thats why…Do you also switch with the knob to avoid this behaviour?

1 Like

Yes, it’s safer with the knob. two steps, select and push.

2 Likes

So this brings up another question. When you’re on stage performing, is there another way to switch presets other than by bending down? Not a great look when you’re on stage. Also impossible to hit the two foot switches with your feet.

Any suggestions for this?

1 Like

To minimize the problem I try to work with snapshots, or I organize a bank according to the order in which I will use my pedalboards to avoid large jumps in the list. The solution might be a MIDI controller to send PCs? or…better system stability, of course…

5 Likes

I have a MIDI controller on the way. Stability would be nice though.

2 Likes

I can confirm the issue. We have something setup that aborts loading of current pedalboard and puts the next selected one in a queue, but something in that is failing.
Assigning the bugfixing task to myself, will push it as part of the 1.13 test builds next week.

8 Likes

After installing the new update, I tried switching presets faster and the unit froze immediately. So whatever was fixed, is NOT fixed. Just letting you know.

Thanks, it is weird as I tried to reproduce the issue but couldnt… how exactly are you triggering this? Maybe it depends on the pedalboards being loaded, when I mentioned I could confirm the issue it was happening with PBs that had special CV addressings on them but I was unable to get the error again after some not-fully-related fixes.

Is this browsing “all pedalboards” or a specific bank? One of your own or the “factory” ones made by MOD?

My own pedalboards. I’m not using banks. I have tried to duplicate it after it happened yesterday. For some reason, which is good, it’s ok so far today.

2 Likes

Would still be great to get to the bottom of this, finding a set of conditions where this triggers so when doing a fix we can be sure it won’t happen again (so it is truly really fixed).

Can you describe what kind of pedalboards you make? Regarding addressings, MIDI CC, CV usage, etc… the more info we get, the easier it should be to replicate the issue and then fix it.
Thank you

They’re pretty simple. Right now there is no MIDI, CC or CV usage on my pedalboards.
Usually an amp, reverb (sometimes two), echo (sometimes two as well), the LP3 looper and volume boosts, I am a little crazy about having a few reverbs and echos.

It’s still freezing. I can’t be the only one this happens to. It is random and quite frustrating.

1 Like

@klowy can you share one pedalboard where this happens?