Fender Blues Deluxe (reissue) preamp and mic'ed cab models

All right, chaps, here’s my first attempt at modelling my cab.

Disclaimer: for some reason my models turned out to be a tad quieter than the other models that are posted here, so you may want to crank it up a little on your Dwarf. I did normalize my recorded “target” files though to make 'em equally “loud”. Maybe I should have been more generous with the volume knob on the combo, but I don’t think my neighbors would have appreciated it, despite my treated room. Perhaps I’ll try again sometime.

Anyway, all the models here are based on the clean channel, with treble, mid and bass knobs at 6, 8 and 6 correspondingly (the way I set 'em at gigs).
I used an Oktava mk-519 condenser mic and Sennheiser e906 dynamic mic.

The models:

Preamp (no cab)

Fender Blues Deluxe 1 - preamp.json (176.0 KB)

Condenser mic on-axis close up

Fender Blues Deluxe 2 - pre+cab condendser mic on-axis.json (175.5 KB)

Condenser mic off-axis close up

Fender Blues Deluxe 3 - pre+cab condendser mic off-axis.json (176.0 KB)

Condenser mic on-axis 30cm from the cone

Fender Blues Deluxe 4 - pre+cab condendser mic on-axis 30cm off.json (175.3 KB)

Condenser mic off-axis 30cm from the cone

Fender Blues Deluxe 5 - pre+cab condendser mic off-axis 30cm off.json (176.0 KB)

Dynamic mic on-axis

Fender Blues Deluxe 6 - pre+cab dynamic mic on-axis.json (176.2 KB)

Dynamic mic off-axis

Fender Blues Deluxe 7 - pre+cab dynamic mic off-axis.json (176.0 KB)

Then I took the pre-amp signal as an “input.wav” for the model, and the same respective mic’ed cabs as targets, to get the "cab only" models, to use two Aida-X plugins in the chain, one with the preamp model and the other with the “cab only” model loaded to imitate four-cable fx send/return setup, so I can put some pedals before the preamp, and some - in between the preamp and the power amp of the cabinet.

4-cable setup

Don’t scrutinize this pedalboard, I just randomly threw some pedals in to make a point.

Surprisingly it works, and if you A/B compare a “pre+cab” model and a “pre” model to a respective “cab only” model, well, at least I was not able to hear much difference in a blind test. Try it out yourself and let me know if it works for you.

A/B test setup

Here are the “cab only” models to be used with either the preamp model above or, I guess, any other “preamp only” model.

Condenser mic on-axis close up

Fender Blues Deluxe 2a - cab only condendser mic on-axis.json (175.5 KB)

Condenser mic off-axis close up

Fender Blues Deluxe 3a - cab only condendser mic off-axis.json (175.7 KB)

Condenser mic on-axis 30cm from the cone

Fender Blues Deluxe 4a - cab only condendser mic on-axis 30cm off.json (175.8 KB)

Condenser mic off-axis 30cm from the cone

Surprisingly, after like 20 or 30 attempts to train a model with a decent ESR (in my experience - anything less than 0,04), I just couldn’t make it. All the resulting models came out with ESR around 0,07 and were quite noisy. After a few sleepless nights I just gave up. Sorry, no model here!

Dynamic mic on-axis

Fender Blues Deluxe 6a - cab only dynamic mic on-axis.json (176.7 KB)

Dynamic mic off-axis

Fender Blues Deluxe 7a - cab only dynamic mic off-axis.json (176.4 KB)

Your feedback is welcome!

11 Likes

Wow, this is really professionally done! Thanks a lot for that! I will test it at the weekend.

3 Likes

You’re welcome, @Kim, and kudos to the guys from MOD and Aida, this really may take MOD to another level.

UPD: Comment withdrawn

I’ll look forward for your feedback, although I myself am not satisfied with the results because of the loudness (quietness rather) issue.

On the second thought, after playing around with the models for one more night, I think they’re just fine in terms of gain, no tweaking required.

I may repeat the exercise, this time also throwing a classic sm57 into the mix - I’ve found it in one of the boxes yesterday while cleaning up: I forgot I had it!!!

4 Likes

Thanks a lot.
If you want more gain out of your models, you can edit the json file : MOD presents the AIDA-X and dives into Neural Modelling - #33 by ignis32

5 Likes

Oh! My! God! Is it that simple?! Thanks a lot!
This literally should be on page one of an Aida-X manual!
I’ll tweak and re-upload the models tomorrow.

2 Likes