Feature request: Assign footswitches to multiple actions

Sometimes, it would be really useful to have a single footswitch control multiple pedals. Footswitches are a limited resource on the mod duo, even with the extension pedal and I often find there are things that I would expect to be able to do with a single switch that actually take up multiple switches.

For example:

Controlling mono pedals in a stereo setup

e.g. the new cab sims are only mono, so you have to run two in parallel for a stereo setup, but then you can’t turn them on or off in a single press.

Turning on two pedals at once

e.g. sometimes there’s a delay and a reverb that I’d only use together, it would be nice to be able to toggle them with one switch. (you can use the switch-box for this to re-route the signal, but then you hit the mono/stereo problem above, and the pedals have to be in a single block)

Toggling between two pedals

e.g. an overdrive and a fuzz. (again, this can sometimes be solved by the switch box if they are in the same place in the signal chain)

Some of this can be solved with presets. The problem I have with doing this is that when I’m using the duo in a live situation, I have various parameters that I tweak during soundcheck (mainly eq). Switching presets will override these changes so I tend to use a single preset and stick to toggling pedals on and off.

14 Likes

So, there’s an interesting line in the source for the footswitch firmware:

What does actuator_config.max_assignments actually do? Can I simply recompile my footswitch firmware with that set to 4?

1 Like

I second that request. It would greatly increase the setup possibilities, and at the moment it is the only missing feature that prevents me from using the Duo on stage. If I can get some guidnance for the devs, I would be happy to help implementing this.

3 Likes

yes… this, along with the ability to assign one MIDI CC message to multiple plugin parameters, have been long-standing requests from a number of us!

4 Likes

Hi @falkTX (thinking you might know something :smiley: )
I was wondering, is it something on the roadmap, or is it technically an issue ?

thanks

well, it was not originally designed to allow more than one assignment in a footswitch.
To move past this, we either make the foots handle more than 1 assignment (turning everything on or off at once), or go with the virtual assignments idea.

@jesse is your guy when you want to do these kinda requests :slight_smile:
So let’s hear what he has to say…

2 Likes

I am also interested in this concept, and glad to see it being discussed. I would love it if the Mod Duo X buttons themselves could also be assigned to multiple pedals. The Line 6 HX works this way and it makes it easy to switch complex set ups around.

2 Likes

Any progress on this? Would be really usefull to use one footswitch for multiple actions!

2 Likes

No progress on this yet.

I recently started on some more complex setups and I assigned the footswitch to the on/off of a CV unit. I assigned the CV output a name, which in turn can be assigned as a CV input to all sorts of parameters.

This might be a workaround, albeit a complicated one. So more than one assignment of any input parameter would be great. This would mean to have some kind of routing overview where I can see all sinks assigned to the parameter source (eg. button).

2 Likes

Exactly! That is the workaround that we have for now. Yet, I admit that not so clean.

3 Likes

I just placed a new feature request, which might also resolve this one here:

2 Likes

It is not always functional.
I tried this to assign a midi controller to two frequency parameters of two mono filters (Left and Right)
And it works but it does not have a good result , the frequency jumps at low values to fast in this solution.
So it’s not workable in this case

Better would be to be able to assign midi ctrl / device knob to multiple parameters on the pedal.
This would solve all the problems for al the modules

now it only works wit cv controllable modules

3 Likes
2 Likes