Expression pedal update

All referenced from yesterday’s post: Expression pedal update - #549 by falkTX

@falktx

" So maybe we could ship a unit to those willing to help the software/firmware side of it. (this is a personal thought, not a company one)"

I’d be willing to do that. I would be able to jump in and do that a lot more quickly than I would on the modelling due to the learning curve there.

2 Likes

regarding the lack of smooth values, I have been told we used to have the peal sending smooth values before, so there is a performance regression that happened along the way.
in any case it is too early to tell anything, so everything is just my own speculation for now.

6 Likes

the pedal is available yes or not?
thank you

1 Like

I’m afraid to ask for an update, because I guess it means the situation for the team is difficult… but… how are things doing ?

5 Likes

23 Likes

8 Likes

Hey! Been a minute but wanted to check in to see since last this November if there has been any software updates to get smooth values again on the expression pedal? Is there anything some software devs (such as I) could do to help? Also did those bumpers ever arrive from the new order? Thanks and hope all is well.

5 Likes

Yeah this isn’t nice, that Mod, is not supplying updates for its expression pedal!!

1 Like

I pledged for the original Kickstarter fund in 2014, paid for the expression pedal. 9 years later now. I tried to find an update in this forum, but I don’t see any good information. Is there a realistic timetable for delivery of the expression pedal we pledged for? Never expected it to be this long :sweat_smile:

1 Like

:point_up:

What’s the plan from the MOD Team then?

At this point, unfortunately, I don’t think it matters what “the plan” is… There have been many different plans over the last decade. Get a Helix and move on…

1 Like

So like I said. Anyone from MOD have any good (or anything at all) information for the pledgers? I’m only interested in what I, and others have already invested in. You can move on ytai, that’s your choice

1 Like

Hello @gianfranco, AKA Mod father :raised_hands:

Are you able to fill us in on the current state of the expression pedal? Is there anything we can expect in the future?

1 Like

I think it’s worth noting (if you haven’t seen) that the company that made that kickstarter dissolved, and the expression pedal is something they are hoping to continue trying to fulfill under this new company (as with any pledging on kickstarter, it can fail to reach fulfillment). They were able to finally reach hardware manufacturing of the expression pedal this last summer for a test run of units, but there has been a regression in the software causing the lack of smooth values. From what I understand, the software issue is the main thing standing in the way from a design perspective. As mod have currently been focusing on the desktop app which may help bring them more money to pursue things like the expression pedal in the future, maybe they’ll be able to bring in a couple more people to aid in this effort or find time to fix it. Would love to know if there’s been any looking into what may have broken the smooth values and potentially if there is anyway some of us might be able to help with testing.

1 Like

Hi ladies and gentlemen

Sorry for my silence lately. Despite the amount of stuff on my plate, I should not allow such a long hiatus.

Since the reboot, our first priority is to keep the online infrastructure up and running. With such frugal resources we have at the moment, we are not being able to give any attention to the Expression Pedal.

We indeed managed to produce the samples which allowed us to make the initial testing. But unfortunately, the amount of resources required to pull-off the Expression Pedal will be much broader than our bandwidth, ranging from the software - that will require Control Chain improvement - to the actual production and set up of the supply chain.

All of this attention required by the Expression makes it not feasible at the time and does not allow us to make any promise on dates.

As you can see with our investments in the MOD Desktop and the growing portfolio of the Plugin shop, we are putting together the foundations for the long term sustainability of the online infrastructure.

We first need to put this in place to then start thinking again on new hardware. We have not given up making the Expression, but at the same time I do not want to keep expectations lurking with no actual movement happening on our side.

I really apologize for the frustration. It has been painful to go to the office and see the samples sitting on the shelf.

On a positive note, different than the Dwarf, we can offer a compensation for people to whom we owe a pedal, in the form of Plugin credits. The same insolvency related constraints regarding reimburses and refunds from the Dwarf apply to the Expression, but the size of the actual problem is two orders of magnitude smaller, with only a few dozen of pedals actually pre sold since the MOD Duo campaign, and a considerable amount of refunds and exchanges issued from 2016 until the insolvency in 2022.

But because the number of different scenarios is high, we cannot issue a general policy and we need to sort out compensations in a one-on-one basis. So I ask you to reach out directly to me in case you have an outstanding Expression Pedal that you want to be compensated for.

Best

Gianfranco, aka The MOD Father

25 Likes

Thanks for the update!

1 Like

Just an old habit of checking in here :smiley:
I’ve seen news on the Reboot, which seems more Software focus, so my understanding the expression pedal will unfortunately not move on for the time being.
If any one has a different understanding, I’m interested.

See MOD Reboot - Phase 2 - #9 by gianfranco