Experience in shop trying the MOD Dwarf

Hi @jon
Thanks for the help earlier this week, I wanted to give you some feedback after I had a go with a dwarf this morning, in short, I loved it!
I didn’t buy today for 2 reasons. Firstly, I couldn’t get the graphic interface to work. If I’m honest it’s more than likely something I was doing and I’m sure I’d be able to sort that out, but I need to see that side of things 1st.
Secondly, and completely out of your control, the customer service I had in this bass shop I went to was the single worst I’ve ever had, they literally talked themselves out of a sale!!
So I’m gonna try elsewhere instead, but I do see a mod dwarf in my future all being well.
I hope the Mod gets things sorted soon.

8 Likes

This might be a dumb question, but can you store backups of your pedal boards/plugins/operating systems directly on your computer?

3 Likes

Not a dumb question at all! You’ll receive a USB flash drive with your dwarf. Backups can be made to that drive. Once you’ve made a backup, you can copy it to wherever you like.

4 Likes

Hello @Mark Mark,
oh, I see @malfunction54 was a bit faster…

Please have a look at the backup and restore section of the Web GUI User Guide. The USB stick has to be formatted FAT32 or exFAT.

Greetings and God bless, Marius

5 Likes

@mj_prod and @malfunction54, thank you both!

5 Likes

You are welcome @Mark! I’m really happy that you loved the Dwarf :slight_smile:

Were you trying it out on a Windows PC?

Yeah…that’s really bad. Actually recently I had a few similar experiences in some music shops…kind of them not knowing things that they should know (or pretend they knew) or really didn’t make an effort to help.

Exactly like @malfunction54 said: there are no dumb questions.
You can back it up to any USB stick connected to USB port A of the Dwarf and then copy it to wherever you want :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@jon I was using my MacBook Pro, I entered the address into safari but nothing happened, I figured there was something I missed but I didn’t have internet connection to check.

you don’t need an internet connection to get the Web UI to work. When you connect your MOD device via USB, a private network is (should be) created between the two.

2 Likes

@malfunction54
Thanks, sorry I should have been clearer on this, I know you don’t need the internet for it to work, I wanted it to troubleshoot what I might be doing wrong.
Do I need to do anything other than type the local address into the browser? I was wondering if there are other settings on the computer to change 1st?

2 Likes

Oops! I thought you might already know that, but I took the chance anyway.

You shouldn’t need to do anything further than plugging in the device to your Mac’s USB port. When you say “local address” are you using the alias “moddwarf.local” or the IP address of the Dwarf (usually 192.168.51.1)?

1 Like

@malfunction54 I was trying the moddwarf.local address, I didn’t know the IP address at the time though, do you think that could have been the problem?

1 Like

there’s a small possibility that the service that sets up the alias didn’t work for some reason, but I haven’t seen it fail myself. Maybe someone more familiar with that service would be able to comment?

1 Like

Using USB on my Mac (Big Sur) I find I have to pull out the usb and then plug it back in, then try the web address, repeat this till it works!

It never works if I do not do this.

3 Likes

Yep. Sometimes you may need to do this.
Other options are:

• “mess around” with the USB-B port behavior on the device settings (sometimes just changing it to a different mode and changing it back works…I guess this was fixed in newest OS releases, but I don’t know wich one was running in that particular device)
  • use an incognito session in your browser
  • try to turn off any add-on in your browser
  • try a different browser
2 Likes

Hey @Mark, I moved these part of the conversation (after introduction) to a different thread to keep things in topic. Just to let you know. I hope you don’t mind.
Go ahead and change the title if you feel that it doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes

Hi @jon
No problem, thanks for the comments. I just need to find somewhere else to try again now.
I had tried pulling the usb in and out, and checking settings before but now there are also other things to try. Such a shame the closest place to try again probably isn’t the best place to go back to.

3 Likes

One thing is that on a Mac—especially in Safari—you have to type

http://

before

moddwarf.local

because if you only type the latter part, the Mac will insert

https://

and the MOD devices don’t have secure http as a protocol since it’s just a local connection. That has prevented me from connecting many times.

7 Likes

Thanks, that’s something I’ll look out for next time

3 Likes

While I’m thinking of questions, can a dwarf be used as an audio interface?

2 Likes

I would like to retract my previous statement about not seeing issues getting a connection over USB. I did see problems from time to time, but with my new process, I don’t anymore. I have found that if I boot up the Dwarf while connected to the PC (Linux) the USB Ethernet connection comes up with no problem. If I power up the Dwarf before connecting the USB port, it may not work.

5 Likes