Diminuendo effects

I like to play on a looper - but I am trying to work out how to do so while bringing a satisfactory end to a song - like a crashing chord which fades to nothing. I have experimented with muting a volume control - but the effect is a little too abrupt. What I would like ideally to happen is

a) I press a button (some trigger)
b) Over the subsequent second (or less than that) the volume goes down to 0
OR
c) Some kind of powerful delay effect is triggered, and at the end of the second, all the incoming music to it is switched off such that the delay effect just echoes out the final second it heard

So I suppose my question is: is there any way to automate a reduction in volume over a short period, or is there any plugin which will do something after a pre-specified time offset (e.g mute after a second)

3 Likes

you can do that with a combination of cv and slew rate which you can map to the volume button or an x-fade if you wan’t to blend it. I’ll use that to create fake tails to effects.

2 Likes

Thanks very much - that solved it for me!

Also, to see the “slew rate” in action - I had to look at your board:

That is absolutely amazing!

7 Likes

I’m hoping to buy a Mod Dwarf soon and this was a question I also wanted to ask.
As a modular synth owner I had wondered about using the slew plugin to achieve slow fades. What is the maximum time for the slew rate? I need up to 60 second fades ideally. I suppose I could stack up slew modules in series to get longer times? A stereo in, stereo out VCA with seperate onboard controls for fade in and fade out times, and a trigger button, would make a great simple utility plugin…

1 Like

Hi @rcf! The Dwarf doesn’t have any hardware CV ports, so you can’t communicate with CV devices like modular setups or controllers with CV connections :frowning: I think the DuoX is the only model with hardware CV.

2 Likes

Thanks @malfunction54, I won’t be using it with my modular synths; I just mentioned modulars to make it clear that I knew how a Slew module worked. :wink: I’ll actually be using it with electric tenor guitars and electric mandolas.

3 Likes

Whew! That’s a relief. I was thinking it would be a shame to lose a Dwarf user because of the lack of CV ports. Speaking of which, not sure if you saw this thread, but it looks like it may be possible to create external CV ports that use the Control Chain bus, if that’s something you’re interested in. It is on my ever-increasing list of things to try out. Because, I would actually like to interface with modular gear :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any on board method which enables CV input would be a bonus, definitely. Thanks for the link.

1 Like