Connecting a Bluetooth Midi device to a dwarf with bluetoothdongle

Hello, I wonder if it is possible to use a BLE midi controller with a Dwarf. I have on my Dwarf a current bluetooth dongle connected. The BLE controller is a Noise Machine. Would be cool if you could bring them together. Does anyone have an idea?

1 Like

bluetooth midi is not supported at the moment.

Too bad, but thanks for the info. Is it somewhere on the roadmap then?

not for the immediate future. (not in the plans for at least v1.12)
but if enough people request it, we will give this higher priority.

8 Likes

Here between us, I request this myself as well. Some people may clearly know why :sweat_smile: but overall it would really simplify my setup and give me no excuse to take a computer with me.
(I took my “MOD hat” off for this post :grin:)

4 Likes

I would like that feature, too! Bluetooth is a standardised and established protocol with many available devices. IIRC I even saw a an expression pedal with it somewhere on the interwebs. Not that we need one, but… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Of course I am also +1 for that feature… But I have found a solution. I just go with the Noise Machine into a CME Widi Jack and then connect that via the TRS Midi In to the Dwarf. Works great (after I had to puzzle a bit how to get the latest firmware on the Jack).

4 Likes

Found the bluetooth expression pedal again… https://www.musicradar.com/news/boss-wireless-expression-pedal

2 Likes

I’d like to voice my support for this as I finally have a WiFi + BT dongle that works! Probably @jon can confirm this but it’s usually sufficient to compile bluez with the --enable-midi flag. This links libasound but that’s available anyway on the MOD so no problem.
Using bluetoothctl you can then scan on, trust <dev> and connect <dev> the BLE-MIDI device (it needs to be in pairing mode ofc) and from then on it should autoconnect whenever you press the pairing button (tested with my Akai LPK25 Wireless, which I’m regularly using on Linux).

It will then show up as any other regular MIDI device in JACK.

The connection step already works on my Dwarf, however Bluez doesn’t handle the BLE MIDI profile because it’s not compiled with MIDI support :frowning:

I’d be available to test an experimental image with MIDI support in bluez!

4 Likes

@falkTX may be able to answer you better and also to check what we can do with your research.

I’m afraid that this may be the dealbreaker on all that process

1 Like

We would need to update our bluez stack, which was not possible before on the Duo days with the old kernel, but at least on the Dwarf should in theory be possible.
It might require updating quite a few other things too, which could make it harder to pursue.

Something to revisit after pedalboard blocks, or whenever we do a full stack upgrade.
Our use of python3.4 has served us well, but it is also quite old now…

3 Likes

Alright, that’s totally understandable. I now noticed for example the mod-plugin-builder uses some buildroot 2016.xx version (so your releases probably use the same) where bluez5 doesn’t have BLE MIDI and “just upgrading” or backporting bluez is probably not a trivial task, so I’ll just wait :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, I didnt even mention that… so far we have just been backporting fixes as needed, but bluez is a whole 'nother beast…
We try to avoid changing things just for the sake of it. The MOD units are pretty much self-contained, so them running old versions doesn’t typically matter much, until situations like these…

3 Likes

+1 for this feature.

2 Likes

Hi there!
I’m wondering if something like the “CME WIDI Bud Pro” would be a workaround for this. If I understand correctly those devices transform BLE to regular USB Midi inputs, ie, the system recognize it as USB Midi device. But I’m not completely sure, what do you think?

3 Likes

Yep, considering getting one myself. I currently use the WIDI Jack plugged into my Dwarf’s serial MIDI in and it works great. The only reason I want the WIDI Bud Pro is because I’m still powering the WIDI Jack off (heh) a USB port anyhow because I can’t power it via the Dwarf’s MIDI out because that is already connected to my EHX v256.

4 Likes

I own a widi jack and works great. I’m thinking of getting a widi master instead, because the cables are a little short and i can’t finds a place to attach the device that I’m satisfied with.

2 Likes

I can confirm that CME WIDI Pro works smothly on my Dwarf, without any noticiable latency.

3 Likes

Anybody tried the mvave ms1 to send midi to their dwarf?
Like this one:
QIUNI M-VAVE MS1 Mini Wireless Transmission System MIDI System MIDI Wireless Adapter Plug and Play Support for Devices with MIDI Interface Amazon.com

Im from the Philippines and CME midi bud pro isnt sold here. Im planning to use a wireless setup for a midi keyboard and controller.

Hi @pickcut_studios,
I use only the USB dongle to connect the M-Vave Chocolate MIDI controller using Bluetooth and it works as it should.

1 Like