Companion plugin for external MIDI control buttons

I’ve tried, but could’nt find the solution to put your plugin on my moddwarf using my Mac M1. I will wait that it appears on the Beta Plugin to test it.

On a Mac, open terminal,

scp -rp <path to .lv2 folder> root@192.168.51.1:/root/.lv2
  • Enter password “mod”
  • Reboot Mod
2 Likes

Thanks, i’ve tried and have this curious message :

scp: realpath /root/.lv2/control-button-board.lv2: No such file

scp: upload “/root/.lv2/control-button-board.lv2”: path canonicalization failed

scp: failed to upload directory /Users/remy/Downloads/control-button-board.lv2 to /root/.lv2

I succeed in using this :
ssh -o PubkeyAcceptedAlgorithms=+ssh-rsa root@192.168.51.1

A minor bug : When i want to edit the CV Ports Name, the text diseappears.

Same problem here, you just have to select all the label space to see something…
@ njsiva
small bug, the CV text label is white on white.

1 Like

Thank you @zwabo @Remy_D for reporting this. I will take a look soon.

This issue has been fixed now. Thanks again for reporting it.

3 Likes

@falkTX - per your recommendation, I am checking in again to see if there is a path to get this to the plugin store or repository. Thank you.

3 Likes

@njsiva, I just created a pull request on Github for you. I have added a new capability to your already great plugin which I hope you’ll consider to merge.

Since I bough the dwarf, I was looking for a way to commute effects on/off using a midi controller without having to know their current state to allow the user to take advantage of both snapshots and “stomp mode”. See Toggle (on/off) a plugin with midi - #18 by S_Righteous and Toggle (on/off) a plugin with midi - #18 by S_Righteous .

Consider this use case:

• I recall a clean snapshot
  • I add an overdrive sending a CC in the common MOD way (a CC with value=127). Now my controller thinks that the overdrive is on
  • I then recall a different snapshot, without overdrive.
  • If I want to add an overdrive via midi I will have to push twice my controller (the first will send a CC with value=0, the second with value=127)

So I added to your plugin the possibility to toggle a switch pair trough a midi CC in a different way.

Normally, when a toggle is paired to a CC in the common way, it goes to ON receiving a value >=64, and to OFF otherwise.

This requires that the external controller is able to know the current state of the toggle. There are cases (e.g. loading a snapshot) where this cannot be easily accomplished.

In my implementation, a midi-in port has been added to directly receive CC without the pairing mechanism.

Also, a new parameter (CC) has been added to select the midi_CC to listen for.

When such CC is received, the “value” field is used as the index of the switch pair to be toggled.

E.g. if the CC parameter is set to 19, a midi CC message (control=19, value=0) toggle the first pair. A midi message (control=19, value=1) toggle the second pair and so on, up to the number of available pairs.

Summing it up:
Normal MOD approach to pair a toggle to a midi CC ( control, value) is indexing the switch with the control field and setting it to “value”. There is a “control” for each toggle
My addition allows to use a single CC “control” and addressing the toggles via the “value”, to change their current state.

I hope I have been clear.

Z

Edit: to be clear, the existing features of the plugin has not been affected by the change. You can still pair a midi controller the usual way if you prefer

Edit 2: fixed example as suggested by @Abotte below

7 Likes

For those who may be interested to have a look at this, my current fork is GitHub - zavorra/control-button-board at midi_toggle

2 Likes

Just to make sure I understood, you meant (control =19, value = 1) to toggle the second pair?

Yes, thanks.

Many thanks @Zavorra - I will merge later today.

2 Likes

Take your time and please review my code

2 Likes

This would be a great addition to the functionality of the plugin. For some reason the guys from MOD are neglecting implementing bi-directional midi cc/pc exchange that would allow smart midi controllers to understand what’s going on within Dwarf and respond accordingly.
I’ve built my Arduino-based midi controller that would benefit greatly from Dwarf mirroring cc/pc messages over midi out.
Thanks!

Anyone else running into trouble compiling with mod plugin builder after a python upgrade to 3.12? It looks like the module imp that is required isn’t there anymore. @Zavorra - I will downgrade this weekend, compile and then merge. Apologies for taking longer than I expected.

1 Like

TBH as of now the plugin is not mirroring anything. I agree it would be a useful functionality to add an echo on a CC after changing a switch pair state.

@njsiva I am building on the Mod Plugin Builder docker, because it’s the only way I managed to get it

1 Like

Like right now ?