Check out the Online MOD

If you are using qemu, you can use ctrl+alt+g to put it in “grab mode”, so then you can send any keys.

but soon enough you are not going to need it.
I am adding a sound device selector.

EDIT: uploaded new build that includes this.

4 Likes

And the Live-USB now with many more things that will actually make it usable.

Adjusting integrated soundcard levels is something still missing.
Work-around is to open a terminal via ctrl+alt+t and run alsamixer.

PS: for those unaware, you can flash this iso file with something like etcher.io

EDIT: we should perhaps split this topic into 2 yes, live-usb and cloud side…

2 Likes

I get a server full message I understand it’s a work in progress

1 Like

Got v3 working on my Linux desktop. More things to change than with v1. E.g. had to unpack rootfs.ext2.
Switched to jack netone for the transport between desktop and mod-live.
With rt-kernel and fast jack settings, the latency is low (5.3ms round trip in “bypassed” mod-live). Xruns are audible and happen at low CPU usage, this is probably different for the real Live-USB.

3 Likes

The container runs in jack “sync” mode, to minimize latency, so xruns are more audible than normal MOD unit usage. The 5.3ms is exactly expected of 128 frames at 48kHz, great that the netjack doesnt add more!

btw I am going with “sync” mode on because there is no possibility to install new plugins on the live-usb, so we are mostly safe when it comes to usage of them. (I did find that Filta can easily produce loud noise, will investigate later)

did you try the v4 live-usb image? it has a realtime kernel now.

Hi All, I need some help… I’m new and I’m not allowed to open a new topic :disappointed:.
I need to ask some questions before the purchase… do you know how to get ability to open new topic?

thanks
G

Hi Giordano, sorry for the late reply. I guess that we are in a different time zone and here we were all sleeping (I guess) :grin:

I answered you on our Facebook Group, but anyway I improved your trust levels on the forum. Please let me know if you are already able to post.
The reason you were not in the first place it’s simply a mechanism that the forum has to avoid bots and spam. As your account was new and you didn’t have much participation in the forum you were still at a level that the forum considers as a “bot” so we need to update your trust “by hand”. Sorry about that.

I tired it only in a VM. So I could not really check the benefits of the realtime kernel.
One minor issue: The terminal is missing keyboard settings. I did not find a way to change it.

Meanwhile I have v4 running on the desktop and I found the cause for my xruns. My local jackd was running at rt priority 10, which was to low. With 62, it seems to run fine. The jack processes in the container and the on local host run now at similar priority:

Most of the xruns are gone now.

I tested the file manager: uploading and playing an audio track worked fine.

Sometimes after startup of the container, there is no audio output from the container (input works). Then I have to restart the local jack server.

I made scripts to set up the environment and packed it in a tar file. But I cannot upload it.
If you are an experienced Linux user, have jack audio running (with rt settings would be even better) and want to give it a try, PM me.

1 Like

why not a pull request again the mod-live-usb to add in these scripts? :slight_smile:

I dont quite get the thing about keyboard settings.
to change keyboard layout?

What’s up with the sandbox? It seems completely offline.

It is temporarily offline now yes.

A better version is coming very soon.

1 Like

It is back up, and already full… :frowning:

I want to leave a link here to a shared instance, but need to preface with some warnings:

• this is the testing instance where I am pushing changes to, so things restart and stop working at random points for restarting and (re)testing
  • there is nothing on the inputs (working on that right now)
  • everyone will see and hear the same session

with that said, if you open https://sandbox1.moddevices.com/ and press the “enable streaming” option it should activate playback.
but again, this is where I am doing tests right now, so if it works cool, but it might stop and come back at random times during the day.

3 Likes

Also worth noting it’s a shared session. Any changes will be reflected to all users connected to this session (which might look quite strange/fun sometimes :smiley: )

2 Likes

First attempt at allowing microphone usage is live.
The theory is, anyone that connects and clicks to enable streaming will get its own input jack.

EDIT: it only works well with single-user microphone usage, so I have disabled it for now.

Some small updates…

Microphone/input is working on the sandbox1, but with a big caveat… only the last person connecting gets to use it.
After spending some time with WebRTC for this, I am not convinced. It is lower latency than what streaming usually gives us, but still not something we can call realtime.
Full audio roundtrip (sending audio to browser, and back again into a testing tool) gives us between 340-400ms.
For WebRTC, the minimum roundtrip possible even for local usage (as in, within the same machine) is at least 150ms. This is without any other network layers or physical distance.
That said… maybe still usable for a few scenarios.

Oh, and added in some tests regarding WebMIDI. Can list the devices, more to follow later.
From my tests the audio output is 1/3 of the latency compared to input, so it is likely that WebMIDI will actually be usable.

Added in some initial bare-bones WebMIDI support.
Selected devices will send data to all plugins that have a MIDI input on the pedalboard.

jitter when using a wireless network can get quite bad at times…

that said, I was able to play a midi file in realtime and sent it over the network to the sandbox1 instance.
it plays fine 80% of the time on wireless.

likely timing-wise things are much better using a network cable instead of wifi, but didnt test that myself.

PS: I even tried some black midi. the system survived, but the whole sound didnt make much sense haha.

1 Like

Can you also optionally save pedalboard permanently on the device or on https://pedalboards.moddevices.com/?

Not yet, but it would be just a matter of adding a mounting point for saving.

1 Like

Hey!

Firstly, thanks for taking the time for making the sandbox! Appreciated.

I am still getting server full messages 24/7. :cry:

I’d love to know more about the set up:

1. How many ‘sandboxes’ are there? Maybe a better question is how many different sessions can the system support at once?
  2. How long is the timeout time (if any)? Will sessions automatically close after a period of time to free them up for other people?

Thanks :slight_smile: I’m just excited to keep experimenting.

Thanks for your excitement about this new side of the platform :slight_smile:
We run the test some months ago and it’s something that we clearly want to pursuit, yet, at this point the project is paused, that may be the reason of your issues. We will update you when there are some news. Keep an eye on the forum :wink: