Bypass switch?

Hello! It’s a bit late here while writing this so I am sorry in advance in case this turns out to be a stupid question.

I am looking for a plugin that acts as a bypass switch, is there such a thing?

Context: Tonight I made an attempt to recreate the Keeley Halo by using several delay pedals. The result isn’t perfect yet, but it’s fun to try out. But, I wanna have a way to assign all the pedals to one footswitch on the Dwarf. So far, the only way I’ve found to be able to turn all of these pedals on at the same time is by using the Switchbox 1-2. One output through the pedals and the other output straight to main out. It does the job, but my small issue is with the visual part of it. Instead of the “name box” in the display filling in and the LED turning red, you get the switch between 1 and 2 on the display. Sure, I can set the LED to cycling between white and red, but then it is somewhat annoying to remember “Does white LED means it’s on, or was that the red one?”. It’s a small issue, I know, but in the heat of a gig I would rather have it that the LED has two options: On and off.

So basically, what I’m looking for is a plugin with 1 input and 1 output. When put infront of a signal chain, and while being off, it kills the signal completely and mutes everything behind it. If assigned to a footswitch on the Dwarf, that would mean that when the plugin is on, the LED turns on and my faux Halo turns on. When the footswitch is pressed again, the plugin turns off and therefore mutes the faux Halo (or whatever other kind of faux pedal you build) behind it.

Is there already such a plugin and I’m just too tired to find it?

Edit: I am too tired. The TinyGain with gain set to 0 does it better, although the LED then works the opposite way of what I want. When the TinyGain is turned off the faux Halo is turned on and vice versa. Using the mute function also does the trick, but same problems with the LEDs. Is there a solution to my small problem?

All the best.
Oskar

2 Likes

the 1-2 and 2-1 switches have on/off behavior as well. You can experiment with it yourself, or check out an earlier post of mine which describes it. This way, you can use the bypass of the switch plugin rather than the selector knob position

3 Likes

Yeah, but in this case using the on/off on the Switch 1-2 wouldn’t solve the issue. Unless I’m missing something here, which is possible :slight_smile:

The TinyGain does exaclty what I want soundwise, but unfortunately the LED then works in the opposite way of what I’m after. Right now I have the TinyGain set on mute, so when activated it mutes the faux Halo behind it. But that means that when the LED on the dwarf is on, the faux Halo is off, and vice versa.
I would like to have it the other way around: When the plugin is on it allows the signal to go through and the LED is turned on, but when the plugin is off it mutes the signal and the LED is off. I don’t know of any plugin on the Dwarf that has this function.

I really see a lot of use in a plugin that works in this way, especially if the Dwarf is being used in a FX loop with other pedals.

1 Like

if you use the Control to CV plugin, you should be able to get the LED behavior you want (with the 1-2 switches or the tinyGain). Take a look at the pedalboard I posted in the linked discussion. You may need to use the Attenuverter to invert the signal to get the correct on/off status.

2 Likes

Likely this doesn’t help too much in this case, but as a sidenote:
The “X-Fade” Plugin can also be used as a “fancy 2-1 Stereo switch” using on/off button when “signal A/B” is turned completely to the right.
OFF = 100% signal A going through, signal B muted
ON = 100% signal B going through (if knob turned completely to the right)

Edit:
Thinking of it, you could even realize @malfunction54 's parallel / serial switch with just this one plugin if I’m not mistaken.

Setup in X-Fade:

• Input A1: dry signal
  • Input A2: signal from distortion 1
  • input B1: signal from distortion 1
  • input B2: left blank
  • output 1: to distortion 2
  • output 2: bypassing distortion 2

This way, when turned off, you get parallel version (dry signal → input A1 - > output 1 → distortion 2, distortion 1 sound → input A2 → output 2 → system output), and when turned on, you get serial version (distortion 1 → input B1 → -output 1 → distortion 2 → system output, while signal chain 2 is muted (no input).
I called the inputs 1 and 2 instead of left and right here just for logical reasons, being a stereo plugin typically you would call input A1 “left channel of input1” etc. .

3 Likes

Ooh! Now I’m interested in trying that :slight_smile:

Please tell me if it works :slight_smile:
My post was written during break at work, so without access to the actual device.
Hope my thoughts really make sense…

2 Likes

THANK. YOU.

I am a bit slow sometimes and I’ve never understood CV before. I did as you recommended and it works! So thank you! :raised_hands:
Oh my, this opens up so many ideas! :smiley:

3 Likes

Hey! Glad you got it working. Yes, CV is mysterious at first, but allows a new avenue of possibilities. My only gripe is that the Dwarf does not have hardware CV ports.

It does appear to work! Here’s a sample pedalboard

(“it” referring to using the X-fade plugin to switch between series and parallel)

1 Like

Yay! thanks for the feedback.
An example pedalboard says more than a thousand words… :wink:

2 Likes