Any Gilmour Fans Here?

Yes, I’m searching for Davis Gilmour fans to share pedalborads.
I’m just at the beginning of the learning curve on Dwarf so… nothing (or very few) thing to share…

Ciao
Rino

4 Likes

I can consider myself a Gilmour fan :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No shareble pedalboards but Gilmour fan here… and Waters.

3 Likes

:raised_hands:
This one will be a popular thread! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I agree :slight_smile: I’m just curious about @Rino2 enlightening us a bit on what is going on in his head here :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Jon

I try to explain, I think the use of Dwarf is divided into two (maybe three) categories: those who want to experiment with new and unconventional sounds and combinations, those who want to dedicate it to a specific use (sound) and those who want to recreate already known sounds because they come from the analog world of standard (and vintage) pedals.
The plugins created so far are wonderful and full of possibilities but in reality they are oriented to the first two groups (with some exceptions).
I belong to the third category and I find myself in serious difficulty in creating already known sounds that I love. I’m not a professional and I only play for pleasure, Dwarf gives me the possibility to take with me what I like, which I couldn’t do with my twenty plus pedals.
Ultimately I just wanted to invite participants to create pedalboards that are more real (what a bad word!). In my small way I’m trying to create my first pedalboard based on the sound of 5am and …and then… the process is a bit slow but I try.

Finally … sorry if I seem so “generalist” but it’s the fault of the language and the need to be concise.

4 Likes

No need to be sorry and actually allow me to disagree with you. I think you have been pretty straight to the point and your line of thought makes absolutely sense.

I can easily agree with all your affirmations and actually that led me to a quick thought:
Do you (and all the other community members reading this) think that would be beneficial to have some sort of videos/guides/tutorials demonstrating how to recreate the sound of a particular musician, song or song part?
And if yes, do you think that this should be an initiative fully driven by the MOD team or coming from the community?

Personally (and with a bias from inside view), I would say that the community providing and discussing the materials and then we (likely me) organizing it to external consume would be the best. This would likely allow us to pull out more.

I’m aware that initiatives like this have been tried before (both with internal and community) and they sort of failed.
Do you have some opinions on this? Can you point us something that you think we did wrong?

3 Likes

Other platforms allow the community to post/search/sort presets and boards by artist/song etc - see Fender, Boss Tone Exchange, Amplitude etc… Not saying they’re any good, but some sort of capability like that could be useful for the community? Couple that with the AI based board maker I heard something about somewhere…

4 Likes

@jon
first of all… I’m not in a position to say what you did or didn’t do wrong. I think you’ve done a great job with a great basic idea, at the beginning and during the restart (and also personally).
That said, IMHO next step is probably missing, better… little more organization is missing.
Let me explain… take a look at the reverb plugins, controls that don’t follow the known nomenclature, perhaps with somewhat “special” adjustment parameters (the “repetition” control in percentage instead of numerical or with a name that is not clearly identifiable or totalky absent) or present in graphics and absent in the configuration, indications/explanations absent or incomplete. I understand that everything is done by volunteers and for free but if Mod wants to establish itself on the market and “sell” more, it must give parameters (read as Rule) to follow. Forgive - Forgive these words which seem harsh but in reality reflect the state of the facts.
With regard to videos or documents… of course they can be useful but only if the above ‘Rules’ are respected.
Finally, I still believe that the presence of plugins that emulate real pedals with the same parameters is indispensable, this would allow Mod to be equalized to the multi-effects on the market as well as being a development system.

3 Likes

Hey there,

I made some “sound like”-pedalboards for jamming with a midi generated backing-track. One of them is a Pink Floyd one, I’ve just uploaded here:

Surely not exactly the same sound as Gilmour but perhaps in the ballpark … Played on a Les Paul (edit 14.02: buffer size on dwarf set to 256, if not, you could run out if CPU, see below)

11 Likes

Sorry I wrote reverb but I mean DELAY

1 Like

Isn’t this the pedalboards.mod.audio page? Sorry if I didn’t understand, but for what you wrote it sound like that.

No forgiveness is needed :slight_smile: I asked for an opinion and you gave it, so no need to apologize. I didn’t ask you for praise :wink:
I can agree with you on a lot of the things that you wrote. The organization is indeed an issue. And it’s exactly what we are trying to fix in a lot of areas of the company and the project.
A bit taking that into consideration, I would reframe the conversation here - although as a creator of the thread, you obviously can take it wherever you want.
I was trying to ask more about initiatives in terms of content and not really feature requests. The latest gets a bit out of what I can do, the first is right what I should do :slight_smile:
Do you think that we could have any piece of content helping on this “replicating sounds”? Content can also go to pedalboards created by users or by the MOD team.

2 Likes

@jon

Thanks…

Yes pedalboard and direction on the right plugin coukd help alot…

Note, I already have the right setup on real pedal and I kniw very well the basic of Gilmour sound…

2 Likes

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Now my question is: can we get the community to create and share these “sound replicas”?
And if yes, what should we prepare (if anything at all) to accommodate this?

I think the promotion side of it is unquestionable that should come from our side.

2 Likes

Well, I’m admittedly new to the Mod ecosystem, but I dont see any way of filtering by instrument/artist/song/style - just a bunch of pedalboards and a generic search box. Something more navigable/feature rich and integrated is what I’m suggesting.

3 Likes

No worries about being new. We are aware of some lack and under-explained stuff on the onboarding process for new users. I’m working on this and hopefully, we will pull out some cool things soon.

Honestly, on that, I still didn’t reach the pedalboards feed page and likely that will be left to the end.
For a while, we feel the pains on that page that you mentioned (lack of tags, hard to search, lack of organization, etc.). So I guess we all are on the page that a bigger plan to re-modulate it and as well proper planning and prioritization for that will need to be set.

1 Like

This sounds good, I also suggest a copy paste bin site, many are old debug attempts.
And as I’m asking :slight_smile: why not a ratting system
Thanks

2 Likes

Hey @Florialdo , I like this pedalboard, but out of the box on my Dwarf it hits 100% CPU and pops/cracks continuously - any idea why mine would max out right away where presumably yours doesn’t (I have the latest FW etc…)?

1 Like

@CreativeLemming ah, good that you remined me to tell:

I always play with the buffer size of 256!
For me its absolutely appropriate. I even do a lot of live looping and I’ve never had “problems” regarding latency…Ive got used to it or i personally dont notice any difference

4 Likes

Hey @jon
Take a look at this PB:

I created this one trying to replicate John Aebercrombie’s guitar sound from the song “child’s play”.
You can listen to the original here :point_down:

5 Likes