Will the MOD team enter the modular fray?

Hey there,

A while back I had mentioned something about a MOD device that was designed for modular.

Something with multiple 3.5mm audio input jacks and CV/gate options.

I wasn’t sure if a device existed that could scratch the itch I have.

Lo-and-Behold! Poly (they make the beebo and digit) created the hector!

Now that hector scratches the hardware form factor itch (even though I wouldn’t rack it and would prefer a desktop unit). Unfortunately for them, I’ve been spoiled by the MOD GUI and plugins.

Any chance that the MOD team will consider a unit similar to a hector, in a rack mountable desktop format?

It’d save rack space for the modular folks, and give the semi-/modular folks a badass effects/midi to CV converter in one form factor.

If you wanted to get extra froggy, I suppose you could add the normal 6.3mm inputs/outputs as well, but having too much overlap would kill sales for people who don’t need the added jacks.

I’d pay a pretty penny for a device like this. I rock a hybrid set up, and due to the mono ins on my dwarf, I struggle with trying to get my dwarf to be my “only” pedal. I still make due with it because it’s such a great piece of gear.

I know you guys are working on an update that would allow an audio interface to become added input ports, which would solve some of my woes.

Having dual TRS stereo input jacks would also solve my specific use case issue.

Just an idea for down the road, I think there is a market for a device like this.

I know y’all are busy getting things shipped out, so I wouldn’t trouble yourself over this suggestion, just something for the back burner to ruminate on when you want to expand your market.

3 Likes

I think the market is very small actually, that and having quite some power limitations (I seriously can’t believe that Poly claims the Hector only uses 340 mA 12V).

The number of audio/cv i/o is impressive (6in 8out, configurable), but when you look at the Hector performance it’s really not very good. Can’t even get near the touch-screen without the whole thing glitching out (hint: don’t run a graphical environment on top of your dedicated DSP box).

Of course with MOD you could replace the touchscreen for some physical controls, however R&D wise I think the MOD team would prefer to make the current devices even better (just look at all the pending feature requests) than to spend time and resources on a eurorack unit that would be a niche within a niche.

2 Likes

@dreamer I appreciate your perspective, and I agree with the limitations of the hector. Which is why I am not buying one, and I’ll always boast about the MOD series GUI.

The power issue I haven’t considered, but if it’s a desktop unit, the mod team has been stellar with supplying the proper accessories for their gear.

And you are probably right in terms of demand, I am a synth player, so my needs are obviously different than most. If I see other companies making “niche” items like this, I have to assume there is a market for them.

I’m still throwing it out for them to consider, if they want to create something like this, I wouldn’t ever stop them. In fact I’d probably be willing to buy a custom pedal from them like this. I like the platform a lot and would like to continue supporting them.

I also have faith that the MOD team would focus on creating a solid performer with an appropriate CPU set up, as they have been doing. So the device performance aspect could easily be overcome with the available tech.

Their current pedals are perfect for the market they are producing them for, I feel like I’m the outlier since I have a different style of gear that I’d love a tailored experience with.

Either way, good post, and thank you for your thoughts on the topic!

I just got a Dwarf and I’m interested in something similar. Although the thought has crossed my mind to utilize the software tools and the expansion port in the back to make a CV/Gate breakout box to interface with my eurorack stuff. I need to breadboard it up to see how it would work, but I can’t see why it would be that much different than sending and receiving other CV from pedals or footswitches.

2 Likes

You pretty much have here your answer for “when we can think about new products”. Anyway, this is a really nice and welcome feedback. Feedbacks like this help us understanding the full scope of our community and where should we moved.
That said and knowing that it has no promise on timing or even if it will be ever done, I’m saving it on our request list. Like this I can promise you that we will talk about it. And…who knows what happens in a couple of years if a lot of people request us a similar thing :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for your input, @jon!

Well when that day comes, I hope I’m here for it. It’d be a great pedal for semi-/modular synthesizers.

If I could have afforded the Duo X when I was ready to buy, I would have done so.

It has a very good feature set for east coast synth people. West coast/additive synthesis seems to have its own hardware standards for ports and such.

I’m sadly in a hybrid set up that uses both jacks haha.

I’m happy that you guys will at least discuss it down the road, and hopefully more people get exposed to your platform.

It was a really good decision to have Ziv review the dwarf on his channel, I didn’t know about the duo X until after my dwarf purchase.

Benn Jordan had a really great video on the Duo X that almost gave me buyers remorse on the dwarf. I certainly don’t regret my dwarf but will be saving for the Duo X so I can experience the available hardware closer to my needs.

Don’t forget about me when you guys make it to strymon level fame!

2 Likes

haha certainly not :wink:

1 Like

I’d just like to support the idea of a more mountable device, be it 19", Eurorack, API 500, or something similar. Considering that many of MOD’s customers are tinkerers as well, it might be beneficial to sell a barebone system without case, power supply, etc. and let them decide how to route input and outputs. Then again, maybe noise and interferences might become and issue. Don’t know… but I would buy one.

3 Likes