What's Your Pedalboard Building Process?

4 replies in and I’m already seeing that there is not going to be a general guide for this :laughing: That’s good in the sense that the tools enable all manner of use cases, but I was hoping to provide some good guidance on basic setups. Maybe we’ll need to craft some “persona” oriented material?

5 Likes

Sorry maybe I didn’t read your original post properly.

But not sure the point of the Wiki. The selling point of Dwarf etc is the freely assignable, chose able and use able fx and generators. So not sure choosing one way to work is fully showcasing the capabilities.

This doesn’t mean I feel you are wrong and I always love the fact that we all want to push the Dwarf and help others.

So my question is more what do you need from us to help you do the Wiki?

I hope this reads OK as I don’t want it to sound critical.

4 Likes

No worries, @Austin73 The point of the Wiki article would be to help folks navigate the task of creating pedalboards by presenting one or more example workflows. As there is a rather sudden jump in the number of people with a MOD device, there also seems to be a lot of folks hitting the learning curve of getting the best out of their device.

I was hoping for something fairly general that would cover concepts that would apply to a number of different use cases. However, I feel that set of general concepts starting to dwindle :slight_smile:, and this may not be very useful after all. I’m hoping this thread can bring to light some of those concepts as well as best practices. I’ll give it some more time and see what comes out.

1 Like

How about creating a list of concepts such as

Acoustic
Hi Gain Guitar
Loop Station
MIDI control
Synth
Mastering
Bit of Everything
Cardinal
Weird Stuff
TOUCHOSC / Lemur etc

Then those of us that have a penchant for those areas can send you the ideas / pedal boards etc or work with you.

Appreciate you making an effort, and happy to get stuck in

5 Likes

Ah, that’s what I was referring to with the comment about “personas”! You’ve just created the list :slight_smile:

8 Likes

OK we have a list.

I can take Midi and touchosc.

What do you need next?

2 Likes

Yeah looks like this is done in “blocks” where there is generic stuff like gain staging in the beginning, in the end, crossing for headphone use, recording, EQ’ing but also specific stuff
Perhaps even a few different methods…but at least some cool boilerplates to save some people the learning curve we already went through.

I’m willing to document my “tight High Gain” flow because I sense I’m a minority :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks for the support, all! I’ve created a wiki page that should include what we’ve covered so far. Feel free to add/modify!

4 Likes

OK, I get it, Rock is dead. But some of us still like to play it :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a great initiative! I enjoy learning about techniques from those who have already spent hours twiddling knobs and comparing tones. A recent example was @solobasssteve posting about using a tremolo plugin as a means for tube emulation, not something that would have occurred to me. (The best tube emulator (IMHO) is hidden in another pedal :))

5 Likes

Rocks not dead in my shed!

3 Likes

Rock lives, man. Please add a section :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe an optional link to the corresponding Example board at the end of each description would also be very inviting and helpful at the same time?

4 Likes

Absolutely!

1 Like

Or more :wink:

1 Like

I’m tinkering toward a Modular Amp Tool Kit. Means a generic Pre Amp section:

A generic Power Amp section

and a Amp convolver for each to select the Amp type to use.
"AC30 Style, Bassman Style, Fender Style, JCM800 Style, Mesa Boogie Style . . . . "
Have the IR data with the needed Licenses already, but need to porting the Convolver I use to the MOD.
Those section based Amp simulations allow, beside creating your own Amp sound with pre and post effects, implement effects between the Pre and the Power Amp as you would do in a Amp Effect Loop. So you could send a “hot” signal to a effect and trim it down afterwards before enter the Power Amp.

11 Likes

That sounds like amazing stuff @brummer ! I can’t wait to play around with them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do rock as well :smiley: and guitars with a light drive/“edge of breakup” sound to it… That’s just next phase for me :smiley:

4 Likes

You’re teasing again! :smiley:

2 Likes

I would say that is a bit of a matter of perspective. Maybe you can show 3 or 4 different methods. In the end, it’s a suggestion and as someone said once “the rules exist to be broken” :wink: in this case, it’s not even a rule :slight_smile:

By the way, thank you for the initiative, it really seems cool and along the lines of what we need some pushes from the community :slight_smile:

On this one, I understand you @Austin73 and even agree. However, something that we have been understanding is how hard is to communicate something that “does everything”. So I feel that the approach of “look how you do this with this thing! Oh and by the way, you can also do these million other things” is a good one, it gives some framing that is necessary in earlier stages in order to not get overwhelmed (IMO).

This sounds like a good approach. It can always be increased and doesn’t really become obsolete. And again, the idea seems to be catching the curiosity of one thing and then offering as well the others (I’m saying this both on a sales approach, but also to new users. I believe this could help them tacking the learning curve).

Love the approach! :slight_smile:

Yes. I agree with this one. Altough the Pedalboard feed needs some love and attention, sharing the pedalboards will be always helpful.

2 Likes

I tend to do it at three levels - there is the experimental part, which is maybe just taking a plugin, putting it on a single board and trying it out (currently doing that with DIE and sf2 files) - and I tend to name these EXP:BOARDNAME

Then there is the exploratory part - I have an idea of a sound in my head (e.g 80s flangy fuzz reverb - cocteau twins, souxsie, the cure etc) - then I go listening to sound on my “gallery” boards (a looper connected to loads of switches to route the sound) see:

That might get me closer to how I want the sound - or make me rethink completely.

Finally I put it all together into a board called LIVE:BOARDNAME - which for me represents “stable” boards - which I would be ok to play in public. I still haven’t done so yet, but it should happen soon!

10 Likes