VPN prevents connection to moddwarf.local

I use NordVPN on a P2P server and when I’m connected I’m unable to load moddwarf.local. As soon as I disconnect I can load the page. This is the error I get.

This site can’t be reached

**moddwarf.local**’s server IP address could not be found.
Try:
* Checking the connection
* [Checking the proxy, firewall, and DNS configuration](chrome-error://chromewebdata/#buttons)
* [Running Windows Network Diagnostics](javascript:diagnoseErrors())

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Any ideas on things I can configure in order to get it to connect with the VPN on? Let me know if you need any additional information.

1 Like

Hey! It looks like Nord have a split tunnelling feature if you install one of their browser extensions. Hope that works :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To be sure to understand your problem : you want to browse as if you where on another computer on the other side of the world/country, and you want that computer able to access your local network ?

1 Like

My understanding is that the OP wants to have certain IP ranges bypass the VPN on his machine. In this case, I think @danmh 's suggestion is probably the best route there (no pun intended).

I just use a VPN for security/downloading. I’m almost always connected to a P2P server and they’re usually still located in the US where I am because it auto-connects to the fastest server.

1 Like

While this does seem to fix it if I were to run just the NordVPN chrome extension, I use the NordVPN desktop program to cover all activity - in particular downloading outside my browser. The program does have split tunneling but it’s only for apps in general. Maybe I could run the program with split tunneling for Chrome and then run the extension with split tunneling for moddwarf.local to stay covered for downloading and browsing at the same time? At the end of the day it’s more of a minor inconvenience to just turn the VPN off when I want to use moddwarf.local as there’s a killswitch on the downloading programs so they don’t run unprotected.

1 Like

Ok so using split tunneling on the desktop app to disable the VPN for Chrome and then using the Chrome extension split tunneling to disable the VPN specifically for moddwarf.local does work! It seems weird to use two instances of the VPN but at least this does allow me to have coverage browsing and downloading and still have access to moddwarf.local.

3 Likes

You could also just use a different browser (firefox, for instance) just for use with MOD.

3 Likes

I can’t believe I didn’t even consider this! I was able to connect with Edge without issue while my VPN was running.

I also found out that using http://192.168.51.1/ instead of moddwarf.local doesn’t seem to have the same issue with connecting.

5 Likes

yeah, DNS requests would get routed to the VPN, whereas the IP address would not. You could bypass this with a local hosts file or add a persistent rule to your routing table. But, the “2 browser” solution is probably the simplest.

2 Likes