Using midi generators with audio signal

I’m using the Gxtuner to send the guitar signal to some MIDI generators (strings, piano, etc…), it is usable but there is a small latency, is there any other way of doing this without using the Gxtuner? (Or just a better way of doing it?) I also tried cardinal mini but it’s way too complex for me. Any help?

1 Like

For me, gxtuner has worked well enough, and way better/faster than the audio to CV way. Especially the bass’s low notes are detected much better (for me, down to drop C, it works!). Can’t speak for cardinal, haven’t tried it, but it uses audio to CV at the beginning, so I guess it’s the same.

1 Like

oh wow, I had no idea the GxTuner could do this!! This has opened up a whole world of synth strings to me!! holy shit, this box just gets better and better :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

4 Likes

Hi everyone,
I gave it a try yesterday, but on my dwarf the delay feels quite substantial, even after activating the fast-note mode. I didn’t measure it, but it feels like half a second or so. Is this also the speed you are getting or is there a possibility to get it faster? It would be really nice, since it works well with bass-guitar as benzkji already said.

1 Like

Yes, there is a delay. I did not really care, see below. Also, it does not take into account multiple same notes. And still quite shaky, not always detecting correctly. I would say it could be usable for strings (creating Chords with the MIDI chord generator…), but not really for more “attacky” sounds. We must accept that the challenge really is hard, my Eventide H90 is struggling sometimes as well.

…but, as I only want it to create some CC messages, controlling an audiovisual device, this is not an issue for me.

1 Like

Sadly I don’t have any video of this, but here’s my new album which has the pitch to midi stuff all over it - I'm Still Here | Steve Lawson :slight_smile: It’s working so incredibly well, and there’s just the right amount of unpredictability.

Detail-wise, I’ve got the GxTuner feeding two synths, with a level control on one and a switchable control to pitch it up two octaves and delay it by about 6 seconds. It then runs into a Mirrorz plugin that’s randomly turning on and off and randomly switching octave, and then into the Galactic reverb. Sounds absolutely massive, as you’ll hear on the album :slight_smile: (oh, and it’s also feeding the Cozmic at times too…)

6 Likes

@solobasssteve
Nice one. :whale:

1 Like

Hello dear Steve Lawson, I am Norayr Kartashyan wood wind player from Armenia, and I want to express my deep gratitude to you. I tried the pedalboard setup that you shared with us, I am absolutely delighted with it, I simply have no words and it opens up new possibilities True, it has latency, but for a musician who makes ambient music it’s quite decent.Greetings from Armenia.

4 Likes

Seems very interesting. Is the pedalboard shared anywhere?

ahhh I’m so glad it’s working for you! that’s great news :slight_smile:

hi Techno! it’s not shared, mostly because it runs at over 90% CPU all the time, has a ton of paid plugins on it and only works at 256frames, so I don’t want to brick anyone’s device :joy::joy:

When I get a chance (likely in October now) I’ll break it up into sections and share them as more manageable boards!

6 Likes

Lol thanks for explaining! I have a Duo X so I wouldn’t mind to give it a shot :sunglasses:

I’ll wait till you break it up no problem :+1:t3:

1 Like

here’s a screen short of the full version of the board, as it stands (It’ll be different tomorrow :joy:) - in case you wanted to try recreating some of it :smiley:

3 Likes

Waaaa!! :face_with_spiral_eyes::exploding_head:

Lol thanks man

1 Like

man am I glad I hit up the mod forums today! Lol I could stare at this while listening to I’m Still Here on repeat and still wouldn’t quite grasp all the routing options/logic lol. That said, I might have to poach some of that lower right corner, and I’m trying to figure out how to best integrate a second looper to split the ambient and main paths, tho I’m not quite sure where to put my drums. Anyway, what a beautiful, if opaque thing! Is this your most complex board yet do you think? It looks like the GxTuner stuff required going about it slightly differently— -Josh

2 Likes

How is there 4 outputs?

There are 6 outputs - the production version of the DuoX has digital outs that by default duplicate the main outs but can be switched to be extra outputs. And then the last pair are via a Focusrite 2i2 as documented in another thread recently. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like