Trigger with CV Tools

Hi all,

I was able to use various Sequencers → MIDI to CV MONO (Gate Output) to set up an environment that feels like it is randomly changing. The sequencers can move slowly and at independent tempos, and each can have its own on/off pattern. This is very flexible, and can be used to turn on & off various plugins and parameters.

Doesn’t work with triggers, though, which do not show up in the options. Example: I want to have the LP3 looper randomly go to reverse, half speed, etc.

So how would I go about it if I can’t use CV for triggers? I can’t figure out how to do it using MIDI, as I wasn’t able to get any plugin controller to responded to internal MIDI messages, or to those routed outside and back with virtual loopback.

Thanks, Hans

1 Like

Hey Hans,
Some controls have indeed no CV possibilities, especially on LP3.
Maybe you can for this case use a MIDI Note to CC and the virtual MIDI loopback port. Basically converting the MIDI Note from the sequencer into MIDI CC, connecting it to the loopback port and then assigning what comes in (in MIDI) to the parameter on LP3.
Would that work?

1 Like

Hi João,

not sure if I understand, if I convert it to MIDI CC, I cannot connect CV to the MIDI port. I used the MIDI to CV Mono plugin.

That said, the MIDI stuff does not seem to work anyway, as no plugin responds to internal MIDI messages. I can use hardware MIDI controllers, though. Maybe that’s where the problem is:

1. I connect the output of the sequencer (in note mode) to a fluid ensemble directly, and it does play a sound. So that works.

2. Then I route the output into the Virtual MIDI port instead, and back from the MIDI in port into the fluid ensemble, and don’t hear anything. I tested both hardware and virtual output ports.

Did I misunderstand how it works?

Thanks, Hans

1 Like

On my DuoX (running v=1.12.0.2933-RC3) I see a second midi out port on the right:

Use the bottom one.

However mapping notes/cc to a parameter is super finicky. I wish we could just manually enter a specific note/cc/channel here, as it’s not always easily possible to do a “midi learn” by generating the message on the fly.

I’m also having some issues filtering specific notes/cc, trying to convert with note to cc but it’s not very robust (yet).

However I was able to trigger the lp3 to toggle the record/dub!

3 Likes

Hi,

thanks for your response, but I used the bottom MIDI out, to no avail. ;-(

And yes, toggle & continuous control work, but not the triggers, like reverse or half-speed. ;-(

Hans

If you need to convert to CV I would recommend to do it in the input side of things. Meaning, send the MIDI CC over the virtual loopback port and then assign that MIDI CC to a CV plugin that is making all the controlling stuff that you need.

it does if you use the virtual loopback MIDI port.

Make sure that your “bottom MIDI out” port is the Virtual Loopback port. And make sure that you have it active on the MIDI settings.

2 Likes

So there might be a different problem here. I checked that I did everything as requested, and it doesn’t work.

• yes, it’s the virtual MIDI port
  • no, there is no MIDI coming in from the other side, as I am routing it into the Fluid Ensemble, but do not hear anything. It works fine if I send MIDI directly from the sequencer into the Fluid ensemble.

I didn’t see a setting, do I need to enable MIDI somewhere? I used Safari and Chrome.

Hans

2 Likes

Hmm are you sure that you are using the virtual MIDI loopback input to route into the Fluid Ensemble?

1 Like

absolutely, as it says so on the output. :wink:

1 Like

But what I meant was specifically in the input side, if you are “grabbing” the input from the virtual loopback or from another MIDI port.

1 Like

I am either doing something fundamentally wrong, or there’s something with my computer?

1. I can send MIDI from an external device into the Dwarf and trigger the ensemble.
  2. I can send MIDI from the Dwarf to my computer and trigger sounds in some random plugin.
  3. I cannot send sounds into the Virtual Port (on the bottom right) to come in (on the bottom left) and trigger the Fluid ensemble. Do I misunderstand something?

a) I never see anything under the separated mode (screenshot attached), even if I run MIDI into the Dwarf. Shouldn’t I see the different MIDI ports mentioned as a list?

b) Yes, I do use the Virtual Port, screenshot attached, too.

Any ideas where I should look for?

Thanks, Hans

separated

1 Like

Everything that I can see is correct.
The problem is that you are not showing the MIDI input section. Are you use the virtual loopback port there as MIDI input?

2 Likes

Is there also a Virtual MIDI Input? If so, I have never seen it.

1 Like

I tested it on another computer, same outcome.Would the Virtual MIDI Loopback port also be appearing in the separated inputs list?

1 Like

@hanstammen you are absolutely right! Sorry, my bad!
I was under the impression that there was also an input, but just now checked it and there’s not.

Maybe in this case - as it is MIDI notes - you need to use a physical loopback, so connect the MIDI out to the MIDI in.

@falkTX just a little ping here, wouldn’t make sense to have a virtual MIDI in loopback? Why we don’t have it? Maybe I’m missing something extremely stupid

2 Likes

for notes you can simply connect regular midi cables to the plugin, there is no need for the loopback.

the loopback only transfers a couple of messages, those that are “global” (like tempo and MIDI CC) because you cant go and plug a cable into plugins to receive those.

if you have something that generates notes, like the midi sequencers, just ignore the loopback altogether.

2 Likes

Yes. But the notes were only one part of the endless troubleshooting. This topic is about the fact that MIDI CC does neither work to control any plugins, nor does it come back using Virtual Loopback. I am kinda lost where else to look.
Thanks, Hans

1 Like

Didn’t you want to write “MIDI Notes neither work to control any plugins, nor does it come back using Virtual Loopback.” instead of “MIDI CC”?

1 Like

Yes. I’m getting confused, too. The original question is getting lost in the different ways of trouble shooting.

1. To control a trigger in a plugin such as Reverse in the L3 looper, I cannot use CV as it doesn’t show up in the options.
  2. Instead, I could use MIDI internally, but on my computer no footswitch responds to internal MIDI messages.
  3. I also tried the Virtual Loopback, but this seems not to work at all, on either of my computers.

Hans

1 Like

Yes. That’s correct. I remember that there is a reason and that was discussed in some other forum thread a while back. But honestly can’t remember why.

I didn’t understand this one. Do you mean that no footswitch from the Dwarf sends MIDI out of the Dwarf? If it’s that, it is possible.

Ok. Here you got me really confused. When you use the word “computers” it makes me feel that you didn’t really understand the purpose of the virtual MIDI loopback port. That port sends MIDI back to the Dwarf. Similar to what would happen if you were physically connecting the MIDI out to the MIDI in of the device.

Let’s clarify these few things before move on :slight_smile:

1 Like