The path for JUCE to MOD

Hi All,
What I’m looking for is the recommended path for porting existing JUCE plugins to MOD.
I understand there is a forked JUCE for this, but the rest of the path is not that clear to me.
Sofar I developed for iOS only.
I expect to run Debian linux ( I’ll run it in UTM as an emulation )
I’d like to have

• the list of required installs ( which stuff, which versions, code:blocks? which compiler?)
  • description of the build process.
    Thanks in advance!

It would be best to go look at existing JUCE ports and how they are done.

Chow Centaur for instance: mod-plugin-builder/plugins/package/chow-centaur at master · moddevices/mod-plugin-builder · GitHub

1 Like

@PaulDriessen I didnt forget about our discussion, I plan to make some time for some wiki entries explaining the setup for JUCE based plugins on MOD, best approaches and their caveats.

As I mentioned to you, it all uses cmake for building.

Just recently I made it so that the MPB local setup sets an alias for cmake that forces the usage of the correct cross-compilation toolchain file Setup alias for local cmake usage · moddevices/mod-plugin-builder@4927224 · GitHub
This has been tested to work with DPF based plugins, need to see about some automatic way for JUCE ones next.

3 Likes

thanks for the infos!
having a second look at my code reveals that my actual processor is actually very portable.
So I’ll probably make a juce project where the processor is a class with no juce references, I’ll just fork those few things I use from JUCE into my code.
that way I dont need to work on the linux side of things, the complete working class will be designed in an vst3 environment.
then I’ll bind this file in a LV2 project, and copy it into a docker container.

If you don’t require any JUCE parts, then why not port your code to DPF?

why would I make a detour with first porting it to DPF and then porting it to LV2?
I’ve got loads of work running in JUCE/xcode, so it is my favourite testing and prototyoing environment.
I’ll just export juce independent classes of my main work and use them in LV2.
Or do I miss something here?

DPF is a plugin framework just like JUCE. It supports a variety of formats like VST2, VST3, LV2 and CLAP.

It also happens to be created by FalkTX and is quite easy to build for MOD targets.

If you don’t need anything specific from JUCE then this is possibly a much easier route to create plugins for MOD as JUCE is quite big and afaik you currently can’t use the latest version (that supports LV2 ootb) just yet.

[Edit: I didn’t realize you already have a lot of code written in JUCE … then I don’t understand why you think you need to “port” anything to LV2. LV2 is just a plugin format not a framework]

On Creating Audio Plugins - MOD Wiki no special recommendation is giving for DPF, so that is a bit of an omission if DPF can build it more easily for MOD.
I’ll look into it. thanks!

2 Likes