Synths, Sync & Midi with Dwarf

Hi, today I started experimenting with synths inside Dwarf and external gear.

I managed to sync LP3s via internal loopback. Easy as it should be, don’t know why I had problems first. So now physical Midi in/out are still available.

I tested Dexed and TAL noisemaker: I was very impressed how light they are on DSP/CPU!! They sound nice. Really useful synths! This motivates to go deeper.

I connected UNO Drum and send midi via usb and received midi from a keystation 32. Top. This works great… I love dwarf for being a usb host.

Only problem has been the noiseissues with uno drum, over headphones it is perfect while connected to dwarf it has strange and ugly noiseproblems. I will test that further.

Noiseissue solved by mixing Mod and Unodrum with a small mixer. So dwarfs input 2 is now free again, which makes sense to add the microphone again.

B.t.w. I am surprised how well dwarf handles a dynamic microphon. So theoretically this pocket setup is now ready to build ideas for stage :slight_smile:

Next thing to test would be importing selfemade sf2 libraries…

Hmm, now this feels kind of dwarf was built for me :-), it can do all the things I would expect from a pocket size music machine… not everything is perfect, but it’s there.

11 Likes

Martin shared a post on Instagram: "Dwarf, Uno Drum & Violine, 1st Test". Follow their account to see 14 posts.

7 Likes

I assume you’re talking about the DX10. I agree that this one is not CPU hungry. The same for JX10. Both of them have cool tones. I also like amsynth because it gives you more control but it also takes more CPU.

I made a pedalboard by modifying the INST:JX10 and addingan Arpeggiator, Fluid Drums, 2 MIDI Simple Channel Filters and a LP3. I set the channel 10 for the drums and 1 for the synth and I can switch from both tones by changing the channel on my basic MIDI keyboard. This means I can loop drums and a bunch of tones (including bass) from the synth.

What a cool way to spend some time (and I’m a guitar player) ! :grinning:

4 Likes

That sounds great. I just got the dwarf. How did you install Dexed?

It’s in the beta section. There is no fancy UI for it yet.

Would be cool to have the latest version of Dexed, which has MPE enabled.

4 Likes