Sound quality

Hi everyone !
I’m very disapointed because I noticed an important loss of sound quality when I put the Mod Dwarf in my effect chain.
As if certain frequencies, sound presence were lost with de Mod.
When I use my bass directly in my amp I have a completely different sound (good sound !).
am I the only one with this problem ?

1 Like

is this when simply putting the dwarf in the middle, with no plugin and a direct link from input to output ?

1 Like

Do you have an effect loop input/output on your amp, or do you plug the bass in the dwarf and then the dwarf in the amp ?

2 Likes

Yes even when I put the dwarf in the middle, with no plugin, the sound is not as good as direct amp. Less low end and presence.

1 Like

I think this would be the ideal way.

1 Like

Maybe you noticed the compressors running on in/output on the MOD.

2 Likes

Does this have anything to do with the installed interface? What’s in there, an https://blokas.io/pisound/?
Even with an RME AIO in my desktop is a ~degradation of the sound. In contrast when I play for example my bass only through analog hardware devices it has much more dynamics, … audiophile aspects.

no, compressors are off…

Do the input LEDs show that the input signal is saturating the input circuit ? What happens if you lower the volume on the bass itself ?

@jon would you have any idea ?

I don’t have one…I have a lot.
First thing @kermitt are you in the last OS version of the Dwarf?
Then comes a gazillion of things, from gain staging to the cables themselves. What are your input and output gain levels on the Dwarf? Is your bass active or passive?..

1 Like

no. Leds are ok.
it’s not a problem of saturation but a problem og frequencies (low end, presence, etc…)

No i’m not in the last OS.
input gain is at minimum, and output at maximum. I tried different configurations and it doesn’t change anything.
I have 2 basses, on active and other passive. The same with the two…
I just think it’s a problem of quality sound treatment of the Dwarf.
I don’t have this problem with analog pedals…

Make sure to update first before reporting issues. Some dwarf units require 1.12.2 in order to function properly

5 Likes

I’ve made the update, but no changes…

1 Like

Try to put a decent buffer before and /or behind the dwarf.
A boss pedal will do.
Let me know I’m interested in this.

3 Likes

I would suspect something as simple as the patch cord from your Dwarf to your amp. Try changing both chords anyway.
I am a professional bass player and use both active and passive basses straight into the Dwarf without any frequency loss/change.
Good luck!

3 Likes

Iam pretty sure it has to do with impedance/preamplification. Decent buffer as suggested. I would consider nice bass compressor before Dwarf.

3 Likes

Could it just simply be a defective device ? @kermitt would you be able to test with a different instrument ?

By the way @falkTX, would it be feasible is cases like that to have some ways to run sanity checks on a unit, like connecting outputs to inputs, and run a dedicated test that send a series of different frequencies to the output and check what arrives at the input ?

2 Likes

It can.
@kermitt if you try the suggestions and you still feel that there’s an issue with your device, I would ask you to write us at support@mod.audio and send your device serial number and a sample of the sound that you are getting (maybe a video would really be the best)

2 Likes